Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rincewind posted:

Mispronouncing names when you're reviewing something where the names in question were said aloud repeatedly is pretty embarrassing, actually.
Well at least I have an excuse since pronouncing stuff correctly and having a Pittsburghese accent don't work together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't really mind him mispronouncing the names because at some level I feel like it's not something he can help. Hard as it may be to imagine with such simple names that are repeated over and over again through the show, some people just have a lot of trouble with that. And he does apologize about it periodically.

Doug's brother's just a straight-up grognardish dumbass about it, though. Not only does he get it wrong while stubbornly insisting that he gets it right, he actually gets mad at people for correcting him, and then flat-out comes up with the most inaccurate, weeabooish defenses for why his wrong way is actually right (He thinks Suki's name means "moon" in Japanese. It doesn't.) If they watched the series together, I actually have a feeling that the majority of Doug's pronunciation problems came from Rob.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Well, actually "suki" means love, but "tsuki" means moon, so it's easy to understand how someone can make that mistake.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
It still doesn't make sense to name Suki after the Japanese word for moon. Most names in the show are based on Chinese words, and Suki's character has nothing to do with the moon anyway.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Clearly he's just mad they never went with a Suki and Yue Tsuki love triangle for Sokka.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Kyoshi Island, and Kyoshi herself, are totally Japanese-inspired so it makes sense for their names to be Japanese words instead of Chinese. The point remains that you shouldn't try to pass yourself off as some authority on names if you're gonna make silly mistakes about them and misinform people. It's like if I told a bunch of Japanese people that Harry Potter is called Harry because his hair is always messy or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Kyoshi Island, and Kyoshi herself, are totally Japanese-inspired so it makes sense for their names to be Japanese words instead of Chinese. The point remains that you shouldn't try to pass yourself off as some authority on names if you're gonna make silly mistakes about them and misinform people. It's like if I told a bunch of Japanese people that Harry Potter is called Harry because his hair is always messy or something.

To be fair like half the goddamn names in Harry Potter are effectively that. Hey guys, what is up with Remus Lupin? Is he a werewolf maybe?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ShadowCatboy posted:

Just found an old comic I used to love reading. This one really shows how Iroh is a great example of an enlightened Buddhist/Taoist type dude:

What comic is this? This is great.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

EagerSleeper posted:

What comic is this? This is great.

I think it's from Zhuangzi Speaks: The Music of Nature.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Close! Zen Speaks: Shouts of Nothingness.

Another parable I liked was one in which a burglar stormed into a Zen practitioner's home.

Burglar: Give me your money or die!
Zen Dude: It's in the drawer. Help yourself, just leave me a little money to buy some food.
Burglar: Uh... okay.
Zen Dude: Remember that it's polite to thank someone when they give you things.
Burglar: Thank you!
(Burglar gets caught, the officials want the Zen Dude as a witness)
Official: He robbed you, right?
Zen Dude: Oh no, I gave him the money and he even thanked me for it.
(Burglar ends up becoming the Zen practitioner's disciple)

It totally reminded me of Iroh in Season 2, when he and Zuko were wandering around as outcasts in the Earth Kingdom begging for food. Some rear end in a top hat forces Iroh to dance and sing for money, and Iroh just takes it in stride and even thinks the guy was a "nice man."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Some more clips of the Platinum game. Still really looking forward to the full tilt anime shindig.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Some more clips of the Platinum game. Still really looking forward to the full tilt anime shindig.

I see Platinum has managed to keep in the rapid-fire punching scene they do in every single game.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

ImpAtom posted:

I see Platinum has managed to keep in the rapid-fire punching scene they do in every single game.

This doesn't really look or feel like an Avatars game. The bending effects are a little too fast and indistinct so they just seem like magic, meanwhile every move just seems like a ranged punch. What's the real difference here before the elements?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

PriorMarcus posted:

every move just seems like a ranged punch
So a perfect Korra game that captures the show.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

PriorMarcus posted:

This doesn't really look or feel like an Avatars game. The bending effects are a little too fast and indistinct so they just seem like magic, meanwhile every move just seems like a ranged punch. What's the real difference here before the elements?

It's platinum.
You literally cannot be worried about gameplay mechanics.

Now about that last boss fight, when he say 'it has Platinum all over it', does he mean a mirror match or a giant gently caress off boss?

Or an extended space harrier segment?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

They did go into a little bit of detail about the bending styles in another video. Fire is fast and furious, earth is slow but powerful, water is ranged attacks, and air is a combo of the other three.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
My professor was talking about 5" of H20 in any given room in the atmosphere, and all I could think about is how cool it would be if waterbenders could pull water from the air.

What is wrong with me?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Grump posted:

My professor was talking about 5" of H20 in any given room in the atmosphere, and all I could think about is how cool it would be if waterbenders could pull water from the air.

I'm pretty sure Hama demonstrates that this is possible in The Puppetmaster.

Edit: yup!

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 25, 2014

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Yeah, but it doesn't really get seen much.

That would be cool if there was a scene with a Waterbender vs. whoever fight where there's no water or flowers, or any life around.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Something like that would be pretty darn unstoppable in a hot, humid tropical area like the Foggy Swamp, or even the Fire Islands. You don't even need plantbending when you can literally extract all the water you like from the very air around you!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Book 4 trailer allegedly dropping tomorrow, which probably means tonight. I'm hoping for a new thread title quotable.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
"Your opinion is as invalid as you are." - Guru Laghima

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

hiddenriverninja posted:

Book 4 trailer allegedly dropping tomorrow, which probably means tonight. I'm hoping for a new thread title quotable.
Source?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/NickelodeonTV/status/515264701144784898

Also

Read fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 26, 2014

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Are those the skin tone pallets for the respective characters?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Hauldren Collider posted:

Yeah, Bryan Konietzko posted it after there was a shot of Book 2 (which was taken from a camera) that had Tenzin, Bumi, and Kya, and some Tumblrites complained how Katara's kids were all "whiter" than her, and Bryan got pissed about it and showed everyone that they were objectively wrong.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Hauldren Collider posted:

Oh woops, I thought it said in the image or I'd have said so in the post.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Yeah, Bryan Konietzko posted it after there was a shot of Book 2 (which was taken from a camera) that had Tenzin, Bumi, and Kya, and some Tumblrites complained how Katara's kids were all "whiter" than her, and Bryan got pissed about it and showed everyone that they were objectively wrong.

whenever I see things like this I just imagine some :smug: gently caress sitting at their computer mumbling "trap sprung". I mean I sure didn't need to see a palette swatch confirming that Katara and Kya do have the same skin tones, Kya just always looked like Katara. However I did find it weird how none of the kids were as bright as Aang.

What I'm saying is come on Bryan, it's loving tumblr, you should know better

i hate meatloaf
May 23, 2010
Glad we're finally getting a trailer. I'd say I'm surprised it's coming out so late but ya know Nickelodean.

Aces High posted:

whenever I see things like this I just imagine some :smug: gently caress sitting at their computer mumbling "trap sprung". I mean I sure didn't need to see a palette swatch confirming that Katara and Kya do have the same skin tones, Kya just always looked like Katara. However I did find it weird how none of the kids were as bright as Aang.

What I'm saying is come on Bryan, it's loving tumblr, you should know better

It was actually a pretty interesting post about color theory and lighting. Some people still got mad about it though lol.

Aang's probably brighter than Tenzin because LoK's color palette is more subdued. Adult Aang in LoK looks about on par with Tenzin's skin tone.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

i hate meatloaf posted:

It was actually a pretty interesting post about color theory and lighting. Some people still got mad about it though lol.

I remember a huge clusterfuck when the 1st season was coming out when some fan artist drew Korra Firebending and was colored really lightly (because there was fire literally in front of her face), and got accused of whitewashing. Even after they changed it due to the complaints.

Basically, lol tumblr.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Yeah, I really don't think the average person has much of a grasp of color theory and how markedly different the color of the same object can look when placed in different lighting, when juxtaposed with a different color, etc. Just do a google search for someone like Zoe Saldana -- even in untouched photos, her skin tone seems to run the gamut.

Really looking forward to the trailer; the trailers for this show have been consistently terrific (even for a mediocre season like season 2).

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Wildeyes posted:

Just do a google search for someone like Zoe Saldana -- even in untouched photos, her skin tone seems to run the gamut.

I mean, seriously, in one movie, she was blue, and then in the next, she was green! What the hell?! :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

i hate meatloaf posted:

Aang's probably brighter than Tenzin because LoK's color palette is more subdued. Adult Aang in LoK looks about on par with Tenzin's skin tone.

See I kinda figured that he would've had something like that lined up because it IS pretty cool on its own, but the way Spiderhyphenman was phrasing it made it seem like Bryan posted to show those tumblrites how dumb and wrong they are and, well that's kind of dumb because most of those tumblrites ARE pretty dumb and wrong.

However after making my post I had realised that, yes TLA was a lot brighter than LoK is but hey, edits are for chumps :v:

i hate meatloaf
May 23, 2010
^^^Bryan seemed more concerned about people flaming fanartists rather than people being mad at him.

Wildeyes posted:

Yeah, I really don't think the average person has much of a grasp of color theory and how markedly different the color of the same object can look when placed in different lighting, when juxtaposed with a different color, etc. Just do a google search for someone like Zoe Saldana -- even in untouched photos, her skin tone seems to run the gamut.

Really looking forward to the trailer; the trailers for this show have been consistently terrific (even for a mediocre season like season 2).

Man, even a lot of artists don't have the best grasp on color theory. That poo poo's hard and takes a lot of study and observation.

Avatar's always had the best trailers, and I think a lot of the LoK Book 2 trailer came from the good half of the season, so that helped. It looks like this one will drop while I'm at work. :(

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
We don't even know if the Korra trailer is going to be the traditional "no dialogue or SFX, just awesome music to awesome things happening" Avatar trailer, or just something Nickelodeon threw together to promote the show.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

We don't even know if the Korra trailer is going to be the traditional "no dialogue or SFX, just awesome music to awesome things happening" Avatar trailer, or just something Nickelodeon threw together to promote the show.

http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/korra-book-4-trailer-89471257.html

let's find out together!

edit: it's not loading for me :(

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I don't even know why I even click those links being un-glorious non-American that I am. I'm sure it'll be up on YT soon enough...

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Three Years Later...?

Lots of robots and flying. Korra isn't paralyzed.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Whoa.

Air-gliding airbenders?

Earth nation shifting to Metal nation with Kuvira in charge?

Mech fighting?

Bolin being a badass lavabender?

Wasn't expecting a 3 year time jump, but this looks dark and :black101: as hell. I'm down.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Three years later ?

"I don't believe it.. Toph ?"

• Locked thread