Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Wildeyes posted:

It's hard for me to believe the creators suddenly forgot how to write good characters. I kind of want to blame the fact that they were going for a darker story with a slightly older cast, but I think a lot of it is -- as others have said -- the seasons are so short that they don't have enough time to draw out characters.

I think it's more due to the fact that the creators had other writers involved for Avatar who knew how to write good characters...

Compare the first few writing credits (of many) for Avatar:

With the entirety of the writing credits for Korra:

Aaron Ehasz was head writer for Avatar, whereas I don't think they have any head writer for Korra.

v v v Pretty much.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

The lame answer is that I think there's something about this in the comics.

Having read the comics... I don't think there is.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Aces High posted:

speaking of Katara, where is she any ways? Bumi made a comment about how she would be proud to know there's another Airbender in the family but we haven't seen hide, nor hair from her since the end of Season 1. We didn't see her during the civil war, which you'd think would be important to her seeing as she also has ties to both the North and South tribes now.

That's not true, she was in Season 2 a couple of times. At the start, when they went to that Glacier Spirits Festival, and then later they brought spiritless Jinora to her for healing.

Edit: Beaten on both counts!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Just out of curiosity, who wrote episodes 4-6? I'm hoping they stuck with getting Tim Hedrick and Joshua Hamilton to write more of this season!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Can we get a source on this, actually?

From Nickelodeon's twitter:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

The avatar state has nothing to do with past lives.

Um. The first time that the Avatar state was explained to Aang says otherwise:

The Avatar State is a defense mechanism; designed to empower you with the skills and knowledge of all the past Avatars. The glow is the combination of all your past lives focusing their energy through your body.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

meristem posted:

As I said, arts vs. crafts. How many people today can play sports professionally?

I play snooker. I understand the principles behind it. I train. I love it. I can win a match against another mook. There's no goddamn way that I'd ever reach Ronnie O'Sullivan's level - I just don't have the genes for it.

ATLA seemed to imply that with some things, you needed genes/genius/spirituality - mere training wasn't enough. I found it pretty realistic, myself.

In one of the art books, they note that at the time, lightning-bending was reserved for the royal family and high-ranking military officers. So it's less to do with genetics and more to do with an enforced restriction.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

What the hell is up with this? They have to want this to fail.

How is airing two episodes a week going to make it fail? I'm delighted to get two episodes a week! It's not like it's going to make it harder to follow.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

It's a burnoff. They released the first three with next to no marketing after a week's notice and are then airing two a week for four weeks.

Except they're also re-airing those first three tomorrow, and Book 4 is already well into production. Considering the trend towards binge-watching nowadays, I'd say it seems more like another reaction to the internet leaks instead of any real sort of gently caress-this-show burnoff.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jorenko posted:

It's not just in production, it's almost finished. Mike and Bryan have posted status updates on their tumblrs occasionally; apparently they're close to the point of not needing entire teams of people because all their work for the series is already done.

Yeah, the designers finished a week ago, and the background painters will be done soon, so they're almost done pre-production for Book 4.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

He'll probably do something to thwart an earth kingdom-based attack on team avatar, hookup with them for some final fight of the season v. the four bending savants, say a few skampish quotes and jokingly steal Boomi's wallet, and then exit the story forever by choosing to move into one of the air temples with other earth kingdom airbenders who don't want to stay in the earth kingdom anymore.

On Bryan Konietzko's tumblr, there's a photo of Michael Dante DiMartino with Kai's voice actor, saying that he's grown about a foot since they recorded Book 3... I was assuming he was there to record more dialogue for Book 4, but I could very well be assuming incorrectly.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Grump posted:

This show has been out for more than a day and I can't watch it because I remember gently caress all what happened in season 2 because Korra is so forgettable and refreshing myself is too much work.

And I'm really pissed at myself for not wanting to watch it, especially because I got a fuckin' Korra avatar.

Just watch it, everything that you need to be reminded of is in the recap at the start of the episode, anyways.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Deep Winter posted:

I don't thing the Gaang took out the Fearsome Four. Tenzin said something like, "when we found the avatar (bad Airbender guy] came after her to kidnap her". Then it was Implied it was her dad and the white lotus that took them down.

What he said was: "Luckily, your father, Lord Zuko, Chief Sokka and I were there to stop them."

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

tribbledirigible posted:

I did like that she had the two rotating rings of water, reminiscent of Aang's Avatar state at the end of the finale. Come to think of it, Tenzin's airbending technique that earned him the title of master was also a spinning ring.

Aang's kids likes their rings.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Darth Nat posted:

Yeah, one thing I liked about the original series was that if a really old dude showed up, you knew he was going to be awesome. I feel like a lot of the older characters in Korra exist just to get beaten up on to show how powerful the villains are.

Darth Nat posted:

I don't know, it's pretty underwhelming compared to old dudes like Bumi from the original series who were still kicking extreme levels of rear end while being ancient.

Darth Nat posted:

I wouldn't be that disappointed with Zuko getting instantly beaten by the new bad guys if that wasn't a trend in Korra. If a person was old in ATLA, you pretty much knew they were going to be experienced, wise, and great benders despite their age. In Korra, if you're over 50, you're going to get beaten up by the rank and file bad guys, much less the Super Ultra Bender Squad.

Darth Nat posted:

And again, in ATLA, it was almost always shown that an older bender who is able to draw on all their experiences is truly a force to be reckoned with, and it's disappointing to me that this isn't generally the case in Korra.

We get it, you're disappointed. And Zaheer's quite powerful despite not being particularly young.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 13, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Android Blues posted:

Plus plus, it's just kind of necessary from a narrative standpoint: Zuko isn't the hero of the story, and these guys look to be the main villains for the arc, so if they get punked by him now and have to run away it kind of deflates their menace very early.

Also, we're not even halfway through the season yet... I'm willing to bet they didn't bring Zuko back JUST to lose against them in that episode.

hiddenriverninja posted:

I hope Zuko at least learned to lightningbend. I mean if Mako the mook can do it...

Although, to be fair, Mako doesn't have an evil father and crazy sister to primarily associate it with.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 13, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Rincewind posted:

I guess the Republic Forces, although I can't remember if we got to see any of them besides General Iroh do bending instead of just jumping off exploding ships.

Speaking of, I wonder if we'll get to see any other United Republic cities?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Tezzor posted:

Are you really trying to argue that you would have been disappointed and upset if there was a 10-minute battle between Jeong Jeong/Ozai/Iroh-level Zuko and the one or more of the new villains?

You keep bringing up this thing that nobody is saying or even inferring. Just because people weren't disappointed by what was in the episode doesn't mean they would have been disappointed by a more involved fight.

...and, actually, a 10-minute fight? Who wants half an episode of fighting? This isn't DBZ.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 13, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

^^^ This post makes the point far better than I have.

Tezzor posted:

There were fights in Avatar that lasted 10 minutes easily.

They weren't just random early season fights, though. Anything like that was really built up to. I mean, what examples are there aside from the day of Black Sun (which was a complex battle sequence, not a straight-up fight) and the Ozai fight at the end? You really want a fight equivalent to the climax of Avatar (which looks to be 11-13 minutes long when stitched together, based on "full versions" of it on YouTube), in episode 3 of this season?

And I never really watched Avatar or Korra for the fights, so I really couldn't care less that it wasn't longer. People watch shows for different reasons, it doesn't have to be "fanboy apologetics".

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 13, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

NowonSA posted:

Lastly, I wonder what commercial purpose airbending will have. Earth and Metalbenders can obviously get construction work, and we saw Mako working at a power plant just spamming his lightning. Maybe they'll just make existing blimps and other flight technology even better/more efficient? I suppose wind-power is a possibility, but that doesn't seem likely.

New massive city-wide HVAC system!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ShadowCatboy posted:

Holy poo poo question popped up on an Avatar facebook fanpage:

If Iroh lives in the spirit world and the spirit portals are now open, does this mean Zuko can go and visit Iroh again?

Yeah, this has been talked about since Iroh showed up again.

(Someone post that comic showing this! I'm looking for it, but can't find it, so far.)

Edit: I'm annoyed that I can't seem to find it no matter what search terms I use. It was so well done!

Bah, I give up. Hopefully someone else has it saved.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 16, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ShadowCatboy posted:

If Iroh lives in the spirit world and the spirit portals are now open, does this mean Zuko can go and visit Iroh again?

I finally found the comic that I was talking about!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

King of Foolians posted:

Did these just slip under the radar, or do spirits have the ability to astral project into our world like humans can in the Spirit World, and it's just now that the spirits can physically enter our world?

I think before the portals were open, the spirits had to give up their immortality to enter our world; hence why Zhao was able to kill the moon spirit.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Read the debate on the last page

No thanks, it was a very tedious debate.

Edit: Wait, I just realized that you were probably just saying that you just read the debate, not saying for others to read it. Nevermind!

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 16, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Oracle posted:

Katara wore an engagement choker for the entire AtLA series and wasn't engaged, it was just her mother's. I'm guessing Kya wears it for the same reason.

But Kya's mother is Katara, who still wears her same choker from AtLA...

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Is it the same choker, though? Because I don't know if you recall, but she did end up getting married to someone...

It has the same design on it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Wait, is that a real panel?

It must be a fan comic, I don't think there are any Korra comics yet.

e:f,b

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

So is Nickelodeon trying to be the NBC of basic cable? And like it's any wonder their ratings are poo poo when they're proudly trumpeting the fact that they aren't even putting it online instead of finding a way to monetize online content.

achillesforever6 posted:

The reason is that they are pissy that no one who watches the shows buys the toys from the ads because they want a certain demo.

They should be keeping a better eye on long-term gains, since based on the reaction in this thread, I think a lot of us are going to be buying that Korra game from Platinum.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 24, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

NowonSA posted:

Unfortunately, with these ratings and movies forever poisoned by a horrible adaptation, it seems likely that Korra will be the last we see of the Avatar universe. Maybe there will be a few comics, at best, after Korra wraps.

I feel like you're seriously misjudging the current TV/online production trends. Hopefully if they still want to make more series in that world, they can eventually get it made elsewhere. (I don't think there will be anything immediately following Korra, but I'd be very surprised if they don't go back to that world in a big way eventually.)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Rincewind posted:

ATLA was on Netflix for a while, IIRC, although it's not there anymore.

It still is, on Netflix Canada.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

I believe Book 4 wrapped a few weeks ago.

No, only the pre-production finished. Studio Mir is still in the process of animating it.

Which reminds me, Michael Dante DiMartino gave another update on Facebook:

Michael Dante DiMartino posted:

Hey everyone! I appreciate all the support for the show and share your frustration. But the good news is, you will be able to see the rest of Book 3 of Korra, I just don't know all the details yet. And there is most definitely a Book 4. All the pre-production is done and Studio Mir is hard at work on the animation. So this was a disappointing development for sure but as long as you all are able to see the show in some capacity, I'm grateful. And honestly, you're all watching it online anyway, right?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

:drat:

Surprised he came out and said that.

He and Konietzko have been posting fan-made gifs this whole season that could only have been made by pirates, since there's been no legal way to get episodes online, so they know what's up. Haha.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Of course, no idea how this will affect international audiences. I guess they're out of luck, because piracy is wrong and the network certainly isn't FORCING fans of the show to watch it online. No, that would be RIDICULOUS to say.

International audiences don't have any legal way to watch it yet anyways, so it shouldn't make any real difference.

(It'll be a bit easier being able to watch it on Nick with a VPN, at least.)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

There's no big conspiracy or a gently caress up that resulted in this, it's just what happens when a show isn't doing as well as the network needs it too.

No gently caress up? Are you forgetting the part where they released it with a week's notice, with barely any marketing, in a timeslot that doesn't work for the demographic, and refused to put it up anywhere online? And you don't think there were any gently caress ups playing a part in how well it did this season?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

So wait we're not getting two episodes a week like was originally planned anymore?

Nope, we get one last episode on TV tonight, and then it sounds like we're getting an episode a week online starting on August 1st.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

No, they ordered them after Book One but before Book Two.

...that would be in the hiatus between books one and two, yes.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Korra panel at Comic Con is today, right? Does anyone know when it starts? I look forward to hearing about it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's in 30 minutes, lasts for an hour, and everything we learn will be posted here by me.

I just looked the panel up...

quote:

Moderated by Megan Casey (VP of current series for Nickelodeon).

That should be interesting. Haha. Assuming she would have had some say in the Nickelodeon-side decisions about Korra this season, I hope she gets some ire directed at her.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 25, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

What's the rational from switching to two episodes a week to one episode now that it's online?

Nickelodeon Executives work in mysterious ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

quote:

Q: Can we have the voice actors sing “secret tunnel” as their characters.

The voice actors will NOW sing SECRET TUNNEL in the voices of their characters, with the help of dee bradley baker!

I hope video of this shows up online.

And I cannot wait for this:

"Varrick's childhood will be talked about later in the season. It's apparently "beyond belief.""

v v v Haha, wow, that was fast! Thanks!

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 25, 2014

• Locked thread