Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Book 1 was stupid in that if the creators thought they were only getting one season, I don't know why they would ever bother telling such an unimportant story. Book 2 at least had Avatar Wan's story, which is the best thing to come out of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
The new villains look pretty awesome and as though they've got interesting back-stories. I look forward to being disappointed by all of them. :getin:

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Miss Nomer posted:

I'm curious if this season's theme is going to be family and one's place in a family because it's got me thinking about Kai. Sure he could just be some orphan but considering he's 13/14(?) and that's as long as the villains have been locked up, I wonder if he's going to turn out to be Zaheer and his girlfriend's kid.

That would be so, so, bad. I can't imagine lazier writing. I hope this doesn't happen.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

The airbending plotline bothers me because I can't help but shake the feeling that the people rejecting Tenzin and co. are being portrayed as wrong for not abandoning everything for a culture they have no connection to or heritage from.

I got the opposite message. The show exaggerated the things Tenzin advertised to make it seem like nobody with common sense would want to give up their whole life for that stuff. Nobody gives a poo poo about tattoos and shaving your head as selling points.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Tenzin is setting himself up for a big disappointment. He's not going to succeed in reviving the air nomads as the one and only airbending culture.

Hmm... It's almost as though he's being resistant to... change.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Y'know, I was watching clips of the Book 2 finale, and it was jarring just how unimpressive all the bending is in this series compared to A:TLA. Most of it is just blasting stuff with fire or air, lobbing rocks at people, or whipping them with water. This is like Green Lantern making nothing but green bubbles all the god drat time.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
When does Legend of Korra have something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnFNjLnVVJw I'm honestly curious because I don't remember anything that creative.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Superstring posted:

Nothing else in either shows is that creative. You're linking one of the best action sequences in animation and most shows don't even come close to something that good.

Sure that's easily one of the best scenes. But there are a ton of other fights where people were just really creative with using their surroundings, even if the bending was a variation of something we'd already seen (Toph vs. earthbenders in the arena, Katara vs. Master Pakku, Aang vs. Bumi, Aang vs. Ozai). Korra has lots of great fight choreography, but the bending hasn't been that creative as far as I can remember. I'm not even saying there aren't any good examples; I just honestly don't remember them.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I'm actually really hyped about the bending this season. Ming Hua became my favorite new character of the season just from seeing episode three.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
There is nothing shameful about supporting the show by watching it as it's officially released.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

She doesn't have access to her past lives' memories anymore, so unless she learned specifically how to do that from Aang (as opposed to just seeing him do it), she doesn't have the knowledge of how to do it.

Also it is a massive risk to the Avatar spirit to do that which seems like a poor thing to do when you could talk the guy down instead.

She was able to restore people's bending on her own in Republic City after Amon took it away. It stands to reason she could take people's bending away too.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
One Piece is a pretty weird example of power creep to lump in with something like Naruto, considering the power scale has been extremely wide in One Piece from early in the story, with villains beaten early on coming back much later and still being threatening. I don't think the "power creep" in Korra can be compared to OP or even Naruto, really.

The advancement of bending abilities makes a lot more sense in Korra because communication networks probably improved immensely in the 70 years since Aang's youth. When it's easier to communicate ideas, you wouldn't need to travel for years just to meet an ancient bending master who's the only person to know a certain skill. There's just way more access to that kind of information, so common people can do things like shoot lightning. It's perfectly logical.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I don't know how anyone could want more pro-bending when even the little blips of bending in the first few episode of Book 3 alone were already way more interesting than pro-bending in every way.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

Why the hell are people pushing this? Can't an aunt keep her well meaning niece at a distance because of long lingering family issues? The daughter of a bastard still counts as a bastard on all the land deeds.

For once, I agree with this dude.

Also, the metal city was gorgeous. I think this was arguably the most beautiful episode yet.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
It was disappointing we didn't see him do that well, but Zuko is literally almost 90 years old now. If anything, you'd think he would have his own bodyguards though.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I'm surprised people still believe that Tenzin's gonna do something awesome. Personally, I've kind of accepted that he's just not that great. If he does something impressive now, I'll be left wondering, "Why didn't you do this, you know, every other time in the series when poo poo hit the fan?

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I really don't think they're going to make one of Toph's daughters evil. I'm not especially worried about it.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
The Adventure of Nuk-Tuk were awful and cringe-worthy. They ruined Bolin.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I can safely say this show has finally become everything I wanted it to be. If only it could've been this in the first two books.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Tenzin has been a frustrating character for a while now. He already learned with Korra in Book 1 that you can't just force things on people and they need to learn in their own way. Book 2 solidified his development by having him finally accept that he's supposed to be his own person instead of forcing himself to be like Aang. But now Book 3 has him retreading these arcs by making him Book-2-Bolin-level stupid.

The "two steps backward, one step forward" arc worked really well when they did it with a young Zuko in TLA. But it's not charming at all with a dude who we're supposed to believe is already the master of a culture known for their wisdom and tranquility.

And his bending isn't that great. :vince:

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I wouldn't say they redeemed Mako so much as reduced his role in the story. And I'm okay with that.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

pentyne posted:

This was every thread at the start, and even though we hit lows in never went into "gently caress this bullshit show" territory until the finale blew the potential they had been building all season.

Yeah but those books got continually worse. This book is getting better with every episode.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Sky bison being the original air benders still logically follows from last season. I don't think the Lion Turtles necessarily count as elemental benders, even though some of them can apparently levitate and bend energy itself. They could've given that power to the sky bison. And who's to say Lion Turtles are the only source of bending anyway?

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I doubt it. At most, it'll be kind of ambiguous.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I don't know, I don't necessarily like that none of the adults on this show are particularly mature. I get wanting the characters to be flawed enough that they have some challenge to overcome, but all the main adult characters feel pretty childish in a somewhat weird way when you compare them to any minor character or even villain.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Most 50+ people (and these characters are barely 50) I've interacted with have been at work. I'm pretty sure there are tons of adults with the social competence to not think of "giving up your entire life to become a monk" is a good selling point for anything. For all the childish adults out there, it's not like there aren't plenty of mature ones. I mean unless you're in the Legend of Korra universe--then you're hosed.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
You're pointing out pretty much exactly my whole problem with these characters' depiction: the show is telling us they are doing all of these things requiring social competence, but they aren't really showing it. They've just barely started to in this most recent episode.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I really hope the show quits teasing at some point and gives these characters some truly badass moments where they decisively win a fight against a genuinely impressive opponent. I want to see what makes these characters as impressive as we're supposed to believe they are.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
TLA had a pretty good balance of the main characters and antagonists all having their fair share of victories and defeats/escapes. I think it's harder to do in Korra with the plotlines getting compressed into short books because it reduces the number of villains they can focus on. With a smaller cast of antagonists, the good guys usually have to lose or else there would be no tension. Like someone said earlier, it would be really boring if Zuko dominated Zaheer and co. on their first meeting.

On the other hand, it could've been really cool if they made Zuko or Kya come off as such formidable opponents that the enemies would want to escape from rather than fight because it isn't worth it. I don't know if anyone in this thread has seen Naruto, but a good example of what I'm talking about is Jiraiya vs. Itachi and Kisame in that series. Both the good guys and the bad guys came off looking pretty awesome in a short exchange, and you totally understood why everyone in the show's universe respects those characters' abilities.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I don't see info about that anywhere else.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
It would be completely unsurprising and irritating if that happened. Nickelodeon has already messed this up in every other way imaginable.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
It would be seriously great if this show were put on by Netflix instead. I don't know the logistics behind that kind of thing, but I would love it.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How is it good?

1. Korra is not as obnoxious and pigheaded. She seems to have matured a bit and is more likable now.
2. Bolin isn't a creep anymore and is back to his endearing self.
3. Mako has a lesser role this time around and there is no relationship drama involving him. The only relationship in the show is between some kids, and it's not as annoying as the love triangle of previous seasons.
4. There are multiple villains in this book and all of them have very interesting designs and abilities.
5. The fights have been really awesome so far.
6. More focus on Lin, and some badass scenes with her.
7. The art has been utterly gorgeous. This should really be at the top of the list.
8. There are some pretty cool character development moments. In fact, there's more focus on the characters than on pure action compared to past books.
9. They left Republic City, which is as exactly what they needed to do.

I'm sure there are more reasons, but I think that's plenty.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I wonder how Ai Wei even knows the Red Lotus team. Team Avatar came to Zaofu pretty randomly. Yet somehow, in one random city Korra goes to, Red Lotus has an insider? Weird.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Kazy posted:

He was probably the one that sent Korra word that there was an airbender there.

But how could he possibly have known Zaheer and co. would find them there? I don't think Zaheer gained the spiritual projection power until he raided the Air Temple.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

pentyne posted:

I'm pretty sure non benders can enter the spirit world. Are the gurus exclusively benders? I thought the guy that Aang met was a non-bender.

I'm not sure why that matters. I'm saying Zaheer didn't know how to enter the spirit world until he got some info about the guru's teachings at the Air Temple. If he could've done it before that, there was no reason for him to go to the Air Temple without scoping it out first.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
That's a great point about Bolin. It jives very well with his bringing out his inner goon when he meets Opal because he's too insecure to be himself. In its subtle ways, they're having a pretty good arc for him here. They just need at least one episode where they really focus on him.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
People are really obsessed with sexualizing her? Korra is one of the most conservatively dressed female action characters I've ever seen--especially throughout Book two.

gently caress this planet.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Honestly, Korra Book 1 is only four hours of animation while Book 2 is just under five. Just suck it up and watch, or don't. It's not that long if you marathon it. It's probably not even as bad as most people make it sound if you stream it.

AshB fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

ufarn posted:

This season is okay to me, because the bar has been lowered so much by the last season, but it does feel like the show is being very defensive by choosing not to add any element of character development (nor major romance, thank heavens) for Team Avatar. Mako and Asami are almost extras at this point, and Opal feels a little like Asami 2.0.

It's good they've realized that the characters were kind of awful, and that they need to draw a little on the old show as well. However, at the end of the season, I wonder whether we'll see any character growth at all, though.

I guess the audience will live vicariously through Lin instead, which is not the worst trade-off, especially since she's voiced by Azula's voice actress. :3:

I think they've set up for some solid Bolin character development. They've shown Korra has developed as a character already. I do like that they kind of kicked the focus on Mako and Asami to the curb because they're both pretty boring. It would've been cool if they did something with Asami though. I don't hate her; she just doesn't have a personality.

I also thought it was good that they focused a bit more on developing characters like Tenzin and Lin though. It's probably hard juggling a core cast that's so much larger than A:TLA's.

• Locked thread