Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Just realized a couple days ago that Korra started back up and my DVR hadn't been recording it. Catching up on the episodes I missed. First impression: "Mako, why, why Mako, why--- and then she dies."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Amon takes off his mask to reveal Tenzin!

"It's me Korra! It's me Korra! It was me, all, along Korra!"
"Aw son of a polar bear dog!"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

People might look at Lin's actions and say she's being "unrealistically irrational" here. But feuds between family members, even siblings, that last for years for what someone else might consider to be petty reasons just... happen sometimes.

Squidster posted:

I'm pretty sure Opal is Lin's daughter. Her mother can't talk about it openly because it would wound Opal deeply, and Lin doesn't feel like she could possibly be mother material after abandoning her kid for so long.

I may also be crazy.
This is... a reasonable theory?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Spergatory posted:

I loving lost it when shaved head guy actually felt the net coming. It was already the best gag in the episode, but the fact that it was actually useful just pushed it over the top.
And then he started selling shaving your head to everyone else.

Those were both great episodes. Some of the best Airbender I've seen in a long time.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

So for whatever reason, this show didn't record to my DVR, and I had also unbookmarked this thread, so I only watched the last three episodes (well, two if you count the two parter as one) of Korra tonight.

Tenzin's fight in The Ultimatum was one of the single most impressive moments I've seen in the entire series, and that includes The Last Airbender. When he blasted all of the Red Lotus back to buy time I was like gently caress yeah, and then he started *chumping* Zaheer in the one on one fight and I was like gently caress YEAH and then when it because (quickly) obvious that Bumi and Kya couldn't hold their ground against the other two I realized Zaheer was just buying time and I was like oh noooo

Also the finale was great

Book 3 was good

That is all

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Um, wow.

That's tremendously stupid.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Babygravy posted:

Pretty obvious they just want to get rid of it.
Why are they trying to kill the show so badly? Scared of the adult demo for their kids show?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

They are a business and this show makes them no money. It's not some grand conspiracy.
The first book did well enough to get a full four seasons greenlit. Did ratings just plummet between now and then, or can Nick just not figure out a way to produce merchandise for the show?

Wouldn't surprise me, Cartoon Network didn't know how market Titan Maximum, and that was a show about a loving Giant Robot, the easiest TV genre to make toys for ever.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Favorite original Avatar episode? Hmmm...

Three episodes come to mind, each for different reasons. Not really ranking them in any particular order here:

- Tales of Ba Sing Se was very creative episode that had moments that developed many of the central cast characters, including the memorable Iroh's Tale. RIP Mako.
- The Crossroads of Destiny had some of the best fight sequences in the series and really entrenched Azula as the true primary antagonist of the show.
- The Avatar and the Fire Lord because I'm a sucker for good flashback episodes that reveal pertinent information on the current setting, and the final shot of Avatar Roku reaching out to Sozin as Sozin fucks off is heartbreaking.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I just realized what I want to see out of Book Four more than anything else.

Toph comes back and the remnants of the Gaang, Katara, Toph and Zuko, go all The Expendables on somebody.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Azula certainly isn't "just a psychopath". More than that, she strikes me as very codependent, someone who desperately seeks approval from others. It's a trait she shares with Zuko. Of course, in their youths Azula and Zuko's lives went down drastically different paths: Azula got the support she needed, while Zuko was cast aside. Azula became Father's favorite, gained a circle of friends she could trust, while Zuko became a friendless wanderer of the world. Much of her confidence is drawn from the fact that she knows she is needed, that she knows she is superior. For most of her life she can ignore the anxieties that would normally be faced by someone who suffers from codependency, because the ones she depends on are always around her.

It takes the removal of all of this support--- the betrayal of her closest friends and her Father not being there when she needs him--- for her to actually snap.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

Nostalgia Critic does a dumb thing that's very common to self-proclaimed media critics in nerddom, which is that he confuses plot with narrative and ends up fixating on plot for plot's sake.

The plot of Avatar is "A kid tries to learn four different types of magic kung-fu so that he can beat up a bully". The narrative of Avatar is "A group of friends goes on a journey of self-discovery where they learn about responsibility, self-respect, family and friendship". An episode like "Sokka's Master" contributes an awful lot to the latter, but can be resented by nerds for not contributing to the former, even though plot is supposed to serve narrative rather than the other way around.
They're the same sort of people who didn't like Mass Effect 2 because "the Reaper stuff doesn't get developed enough"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

So it looks like the Avatar Crew came in knowing this is the last season they're going to get to play around in this sandbox, so they're gonna try and wrap everything up.

The three-year timeskip is a solid way to get across the ramifications of everything that has happened so far. This season will show what it's like to live in the world Korra has created. There will be some menace, some antagonist that will have to be stopped, but that's what it'll really be about. Good. It looks good.

• Locked thread