Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
You just have to understand the beat of 21st century fandom:

1.) Order the same dinner you had last time.
2.) See the garnish is slightly askew.
3.) Throw food on floor, stomp up and down on it.
4.) Take steaming poo poo on plate.
5.) Send back to kitchen, saying the chef should be fired because your meal was squashed and smells bad.

Myself, I'm glad it looks like the more glaring flaws of the last season are over, and looks like there's more coming of the stuff I loved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

kefkafloyd posted:

So Ba Sing Se is now Pyongyang? I can get behind that.

Pyongyang was an inspiration in AtLA, so it makes sense to stick with it.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think it's really a case of 'smarten up' in this case. It is literally the core of his life. For it to be smartening up he would have to view it as "the art of Airbender" instead of "Airbending culture" and he has always had trouble with that. It was the core of his problem with Korra in the first season even, where he could only approach her from the perspective of someone who views the Airbender culture as 100% intertwined with Airbending.

It doesn't help that in the absence of other airbenders outside his own children, Tenzin's life has been entirely about teaching Air Nomad culture to interested people who came to the temples wishing to become monks. He's used to spreading airbending culture even to people who aren't and never will be airbenders, so this is not just outside his experience, it's totally in opposition.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Sydin posted:

I don't know, I can see how people might not be so keen on the whole avatar idea. The show has pretty much proved that a fully realized avatar is more or less unstoppable even by the strongest benders in the world, particularly with the avatar state (assuming Korra even still have this since she lost her past lives). As a result, the avatar more or less gets what they want, and can - if they want to - dictate the direction they want to world to move in. They're also charged with maintaining "balance", but it's such a loosely defined concept the avatar basically gets to decide for themselves what that even means. This is all well and good when you have an enlightened, truly balance seeking avatar, but it isn't completely out of the realm of possibility for there to be an incompetent, misguided, or even dictatorial avatar. If someone like Roku or Kyoshi had wanted to take over the world, who could have stopped them? I think it would be interesting if these new villains recognized this or something along those lines, and that's why they want Korra gone.

When her poll numbers came up in the first episode, the natural answer is "Don't be dumb, Korra, you don't have to worry about poll numbers until the next Avatar election." And that flips around so easy.

Sure, it being a kids' show and the Avatar being the hero I don't expect the story to land on the other side any more than anyone should have expected "Bending is evil and makes the world a worse place" to be the truth of the Book 1 story. But the Avatar being the most powerful and least accountable person in the world certainly makes a good motivation for doubt and opposition.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

meristem posted:

As I said, arts vs. crafts. How many people today can play sports professionally?

I play snooker. I understand the principles behind it. I train. I love it. I can win a match against another mook. There's no goddamn way that I'd ever reach Ronnie O'Sullivan's level - I just don't have the genes for it.

ATLA seemed to imply that with some things, you needed genes/genius/spirituality - mere training wasn't enough. I found it pretty realistic, myself.

This is covered, absolutely, 100%, by the fact that some people master techniques better than others. Even if the "secret techniques" of the previous show (which is more what lightning bending was presented like) had died out entirely instead of spreading, some powerful masters would be better than others. Even the more average benders, provided they lacked some outright disability, would still be able to master every available technique and still be formidable to someone who did not, even those who have more talent but haven't put in the time and effort. Just like in real world sports, arts, and other games. I won't make the art-vs-craft comparison because there isn't one: arts are crafts, at least when it comes to mastery of fundamental skills and technologies, and less definable "talent" just determining how you stand out against those of comparable technical skill.

So, yes, intrinsic factors that come into play, but ones that determine whether long training and mastery of principles will make you great, or merely good.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Genocyber posted:

Probending was interesting the first few times. But there's a lack of flair to it that makes it boring after seeing it a couple of times. Makes it a realistic sport at least. :\

Kind of. It was great, what there was of it, but I don't really want to see much more. It's well-conceived an would be fun to watch/play as a sport, so that puts it ahead of something like quidditch for fantasy sports. But Korra has short seasons and big events happening with opportunity for real fights, and if actual playing of a sport is getting a lot of screentime it's probably a writing problem.

The pro-bending arc in S1 wasn't really a problem there, to be clear, since it was also doing worldbuilding, relationship building, establishing Korra's new avenue of training, and setting up the tournament ending. After that it served its point, and we didn't see much more.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
I am not really surprised that a metalbender city in the Korra era is basically peak art deco. At the same time, I'm not complaining.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

DrSunshine posted:

Actually, the fight scenes were the only reason I really watched ATLA or Korra; I heard that there was cool, well-choreographed kung fu magic fights in it and it sounded neat.

Also, I can name at least one super-cool long fight scene from ATLA: The confrontation between the Gaang and Azula in the dusty abandoned town. That was an awesome fight. Either one big fight, or more short ones, would be great, but it's the kind of thing you can only pull off in a show with the episodes to support it. As long as they're sticking to the godawful 13 episode format, all the fights are going to be rather quick and unfulfilling.

First to last blow, the big fight in The Chase is 2:20, or 20 seconds longer than the one in In Harm's Way. The whole thing from Zuko's arrival to the pan off the burning town is about 3:40, or 25 seconds longer than the recent episode. And the whole thing was given to the antagonists fighting people who aren't even in the primary cast. The complaints just don't add up well.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
As a robot, I too cannot believe that a show whose characters are mostly teenagers and adults involves romantic entanglement.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
Things I can't ever imagine someone in that universe saying: "Boy, I sure wish we were less careful about how we imprisoned the Avatar."

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Rincewind posted:

I feel like an important thing to keep in mind with the Equalists is that they were taking advantage of the discontent and anger caused by Republic City's actual horrible class divides and wealth disparity and scapegoating the benders. Season One kind of hits the viewer over the head with the fact that a.) Republic City has a big class problem and b.) that those problems cut across the bender/nonbender line repeatedly-- i.e., how Bolin and Mako lived compared to how Hiroshi Sato lived, them making a big deal about how that underground community of hobos they hide out in during the last episode is benders and nonbenders living side-by-side, etc.

I feel like it's hard to shoehorn benders into being an analogy for any particular real world issue, since in the real world nobody has magic powers they're born with. I do feel like it's worth noting that within the recent history of the world, although the ruling class of the Fire Nation were obviously benders themselves, benders from other nations occupied by the Fire Nation were often singled out for persecution above and beyond the persecution everyone else got-- the entirely-bending Air Nomads were wiped out, the Southern Water Tribe's benders were systematically killed or taken away, and all the earthbenders in that one town were sent away to that offshore metal prison.

Also the whole deal with the bending Triads. Organized crime never pulls its muscle from privileged classes, since they're not the people who only have street crime to turn to for wealth and status. On the other hand, in a situation like Republic City where poor benders (sometimes employed by wealthy non-benders as we've seen) prey upon middle/working class non-benders, it's really easy to create an anti-bender narrative like Amon did, without really even bringing up the root issues.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

nutranurse posted:

I get that, but what I'm saying is that it would be really easy to jump from 'We Just Fought A 100 Year War' to 'Because Of Those loving Benders' if you're some disenfranchised non-bender who is getting pushed around by a bending gangster types. It's not that much of a mental leap at all, especially for an aggrieved public.

Yeah, it's really easy to do that, even if the war itself was entirely out of a cultural and technological divide, the sort which could (did) happen in a world without any objective splitting up of humanity by magic powers. It's a very natural sort of thing for a charismatic and manipulative "revolutionary" to support.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I don't think we've ever actually seen a legitimately wealthy bender who wasn't also some sort of monarch or criminal. Having the ability to bend doesn't seem to be as worthwhile from a financial aspect as being really good at growing cabbages and really lovely at making airships.

At the end of the day bending is either physical labor or outright fighting, and typically takes long training as well. Both are things you can make a reliable living at and can be exceedingly useful with, but pretty unlikely on their own to make you all that wealthy. Outside of crime or military conquest, being a sports star sounds like about the only route, and Pro Bending at least doesn't seem to pay all that well unless you're really on top.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

Bumi was actually very clever this fight because instead of trying to depend on air bending he just grabs the dude and tries to bite his ear off.

Really even with the biting aside, he's an experienced combatant, in a world where even if you're a non-bender you've fought benders before. Even if he's new at being an airbender, is it any wonder that it was his siblings that Tenzin asked to cover the escape of the rest?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Superstring posted:

That's another reason to have Bumi be part of the fight. This is a fight involving all three of Aang and Katara's kids you guys! How cool is that!? They're over the hill (Bumi is retired for chrissake) but they're going down fighting four of the toughest benders we've ever seen to give their dad's dream a chance.

Yeah, that's what I loved about the scene, getting to see all Aang's kids falling together despite the bickering and having an awesome fight to protect the helpless.

Irish Joe posted:

Kinda disappointed Kya isn't a better water bender. Katara was straight up OP and Kya.. isn't.

She did pretty good for being up against who might be the most dangerous waterbender alive.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
I always just figured that Bolin's confidence issues just made him desperately try to oversell his jokes/ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Rosalind posted:

Also the fact that we had a villainess who was taller than the main villain, her partner, and her height was never brought up and he was never mocked for being shorter than his girlfriend was pretty awesome.

I recall she did get called "that giant woman" once, but at 6'8" or whatever it's not inaccurate.

• Locked thread