Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Read
Dec 21, 2010

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Holy poo poo did Zaheer just airbend the loving life out of the Earth Queen? Is that the Air-bending equivalent to bloodbending?

Asphyxiation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Awesome post, thanks for making this :)

Read
Dec 21, 2010

NowonSA posted:

It would actually be pretty sweet if after two comets of Firebenders trying to take over or flat out burn the world, the comet arrives and all firebenders do is jetpack around and shoot fire patterns into the sky and such.

Since I'm curious, can anyone refresh my memory on if earth and airbenders were ever assigned a time period or set of conditions that drastically increase (or decrease)their bending abilities, similar to how sozin's comet boosts firebenders and a full moon boosts waterbenders?

Earthbenders have something, fault lines I believe. I forget if Airbenders have anything.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

There is nothing beyond fan speculation that I am aware of that says this.

It's sourced from the original "I.P. Bible" for ATLA, a document used to lay out rules/facts about an IP and to function as a reference material for preserving continuity / consistency. A bunch of the things in the bible ended up not being in the final version of the show though, so I think people consider it "non-canon".

Neat idea, anyhow.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

PiedPiper posted:

I'm rewatching Season 1 right now and man did I forget that they used to have jazz motifs. That's actually one of the departments where LoK completely outshines LoA for me: I didn't mind the music in the latter (or, rather, I didn't notice it), but Korra just has so much more to offer. There are moments in some of the fight scenes, though, where there's no music and it looks a bit weird.

Also, I forgot that the first words to come from Korra's mouth are 'I'm the Avatar, you gotta deal with it'. Guess Zaheer learned it the hard way.

ATLA has some gorgeous music, but I absolutely agree Korra blows it away. The music in Korra, leaving the juxtaposition of it with scenes from the show alone, it loving amazing.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Aang had 100s of Avatars to help him in the Avatar state, Korra does not.

vOv

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Pau posted:

So um... I really like this show and all.

I've been trying to get people to watch it but once I tell my friends its a cartoon show for kids they don't really care enough to give it a chance. Making them start over with the first season of Aang's doesn't help either.

Any tips?

Show them the latest season of Korra with a bit of added backstory and if they're sufficiently interested by it you can go from there? I dunno. I agree that the first season (especially the first episode) of ATLA is not a good introduction for a lot of people.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Did your friends like The Incredibles? If not, they're not gonna like Avatar, and also you should get new friends.
If they did, tell them to just give it time, and if they really press you, tell them how Zuko got his scar.

If you can manage this, it will give them the best experience probably.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I think it's primarily an issue in-season when there is more specific discussion that's being interrupted by derails, post-season it seems like functionally a non-issue as long as rules aren't being broken or whatever. Unless some big news breaks that people want to talk about I guess?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I wound up kinda dropping out a couple episodes into book 3. How did it turn out? Was it better than season 2?

The ending, at least, is two of the best episodes in all of Avatar.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

ATP_Power posted:

It's just too bad that since Naga can't fly, she's continually sidelined throughout the show. Sure she gets her moments, but overall she doesn't quite feel like as much of a character as Appa did.

That said, she still is a good doggie and Korra is the worst Avatar for forgetting her treats in The Stakeout.

I would be all for Korra and Naga out in the icy tundra together exploring or something, tbh.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I don't think it really matters, you might want to make one the day before/of the premier so that people don't need to search this thread to find where discussion for the episode(s) begins?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I like(d) Disney's Hercules, though it's probably mostly nostalgia from watching it as a kid.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Well it is a nice lil' heroic feel-good Disney film that has nothing to do with Hercules.

Yeah, that's probably the appropriate lense. I have no doubt it's atrocious as an actual depiction of mythology.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

computer parts posted:

"Actual depiction of mythology" is an oxymoron.

"Christianity isn't realistic because it used Hades to mean Tartarus!"

"Depiction of mythology accurate to historical descriptions of the fiction"

??????????

Read
Dec 21, 2010

computer parts posted:

Mythology is a cultural adaptation, it's not a static thing.

It's why Tangled is not "an atrocious rendition of Rapunzel".

I mean I get what you're saying but this seems like a bizarre fight to pick over semantics. "Not static" doesn't mean "has no central grounding elements". I was just making a concession to the fact that the guy was probably right about Disney's Hercules, since I don't have much of a background in the relevant culture/mythology.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Popcornicus posted:

Watching ATLA for the first time to tide myself over until October. The last episode of ATLA Book 1 couldn't be more badass. Iroh and Zhao's confrontation, deicide, giant Avatar monster, and now Iroh and Zuko dueling each other...it just keeps getting better. Korra Book 3 attained this level of quality, but I wish the story would play out on a similarly epic scale - I guess that's hard to pull off without the backdrop of a global war.

I've rewatched ATLA 5~ times, always happy I did. Such a great series.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Spergatory posted:

Most of his criticisms aren't "don't do the thing" so much as they are "do the thing better." Which I definitely agree with on the romance front. And with the whole feminism angle of the Waterbending Master. I mean, what the hell was up with that episode? It wasn't even Katara's dedication and talent that actually convinced him to change; it was the random coincidence of her being the granddaughter of that chick he almost banged way back when. What were they trying to say with that? :psyduck:

She confronted him with the consequences of his sexism in the past when he realized who she was, that opened him to appreciate her talent and dedication.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

ShadowCatboy posted:

He's basically the prototypical high school dude who thinks that volume = wit. I suspect most of his fans are composed of dudes young enough who think that seeing a guy yell is funny. Plus for a critic he's incredibly dense: the guy has only the most shallow readings of the episodes he reviews and he keeps missing the obvious.

It's really bad.

I'll admit I enjoyed his videos on ATLA, but frankly I enjoy seeing anyone enjoy ATLA regardless.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/NickelodeonTV/status/515264701144784898

Also

Read fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Hauldren Collider posted:

Are those the skin tone pallets for the respective characters?

Oh woops, I thought it said in the image or I'd have said so in the post.

• Locked thread