Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

VanSandman posted:

I like that relationship drama* hasn't been a plot point AT ALL during season 3. Maybe a cursory mention of it in episode one?
*Of the dating sort.

I mean Jinora/Kai and Bolin/Opal are ~present~ and vaguely affect things but those are pretty unobtrusive compared to the Teenage Love Carousel we used to have, so it is okay.

Korra + Asami bromance is way better than any ol' romantic subplot anyway.

It's cool that this show is good now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Mymla posted:

I don't really understand why goons think it's such a horrible thing to want two fictional characters to be in a relationship with each other.

well it's fine

I don't even mind committing goon blasphemy and saying I have written/read fanfiction where people made out or whatever.

But this show ladled the romantic drama on way too thick for two seasons and did not do it in a particularly entertaining or sensible way (even if you want to deliberately pander to shippers, most people that get heavily involved in that poo poo are girls, so it makes more sense to roll out guy/girl/guy love triangles than the opposite).

Also, way too much shipping involves fanfiction where the characters graphically gently caress, and it is weird to see a kids' show encourage that phenomenon. I don't need to be reminded that, somewhere, people are writing awkward, uncomfortably-lavish sex scenes involving Saturday-morning cartoons

anyway, drat but this finale had some good magic kung-fu

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 22, 2014

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I think the thing that strikes me most looking back at this season is how completely full of poo poo Zaheer was. I mean—he was completely sincere in his own beliefs and faithful to his four-man band, but for a supposed spiritual leader, every interaction he has with someone outside the Red Lotus is an exercise in bullshit and deceit. He never deals honestly with anybody outside of his fan club.

well, I don't think he ever really thought of himself as a ~spiritual leader~ or prophet as such. He was probably self-aware enough to know that he was just an insurrectionist terror-cell leader who happened to be spiritually-motivated.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

what's with building this chump-rear end handicapped-inaccessible Air Temple, dead Aang?

FourLeaf posted:

Yeah the constant LOL SO RANDOM bullshit with Bolin and Bumi really created some mood whiplash. It's often poorly timed. More importantly, it's not necessary. It's possible to do kid-friendly humor that is clever, fits with the tone, and is funny for adults too. Look at A:TLA. Look at Disney or Pixar films. Hell, even early Spongebob had that kind of humor.

beyond the mood whiplash, Bolin is just never gonna be as funny a comic-relief guy as Sokka. They should probably stop trying so hard to make him so.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 23, 2014

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Metropolis posted:

Also, isn't an imprisoned Zaheer just going to be loving poo poo up in the spirit world all the time? Zuko should talk to Iroh about setting up some kinda spirit world barrier.

Jinora said that she needs calm and quiet to do her spirit-walking stuff. Presumably Zaheer does too (though he's probably better at meditation than any preteen, even a prodigy), so maybe they can devise some kinda Chinese Water Torture-esque schemes to keep him from focusing well enough. At least until Korra gets her mojo back and can strip his powers.

Anyway, the writers probably just won't address it. Bad guy lost, clear the board, move on.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Silynt posted:

My biggest beef with the episode is that, ultimately, why the Red Lotus failed is because they underestimated the Avatar State's power. After they went through all that planning to force her into the change you would think that they would have come up with a means of binding her that would last more than 5 seconds. I mean, she can bend MOUNTAINS in that form, obviously she could pull the base of her bindings out of the wall!

well it is not like they've seen the Avatar State before.

It's probably just one of those things where reading about it in books is completely inadequate to prepare for dealing with it in person.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Ravane posted:

Have you guys noticed how the Ba Sing Se riots are JUST like what's going on in Ferguson?

no.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Ozai would have been pretty terrible if he were the only antagonist, but, considering that he was just the unifying authority behind an extensive cast of much more colorful villains, it was fine. He didn't need to be either colorful or sympathetic because we had other people for that.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Zaheer's insurrectionist notions of flat-out eradicating world leaders when they're obviously corrupt and harmful is...well, we can argue about whether it's ethically right to assassinate someone, but it's still an understandable opinion that someone rational could conceivably arrive at. It's a blunt force trauma solution to a complex problem, but it's not really a dumb, unthinking blunt force solution. It's the Red vs White Lotus, Bolin Pai Sho vs Asami Pai Sho paradigm. The direct forceful approach for short-term gains, vs the slow burn strategic approach for long-term goals.

The problem is when he starts talking about the natural order being disorder and how chaos is the rightful state of the world. Isn't that just a fancy poetic way to say that anyone should just be allowed to do whatever they want with no consequences? What determines right from wrong, in a world of chaos? Personal preference?

Moreover, he goes on to talk about how, in this new world, you will only have allegiance to yourself and to those you love. So basically...only people who benefit you personally deserve your loyalty or consideration. "I got mine, gently caress everyone else."

Really, Zaheer's filled to the brim with selfish and barbaric notions dressed up with elegant words.

ethical egoism goes back far enough in the history of various civilizations that I don't know that it should be called ~barbaric, as such.

Impractical and generally selfish and amoral, yes, but it's an ethos that has appealed to a wide variety of people from various philosophical traditions and seems like a reasonable enough thing for a villainous character to come up with.

It does make kind of a weird pairing with Zaheer's fixation on airbending philosophy and its Buddhist influences, though.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 26, 2014

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

grownup aang's chinstrap is weird

I used to have a chinstrap when I was stupid

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I expect that Mako and Bolin are hampered by the fact that they (especially Bolin) still use mostly the same style that they used in pro-bending, which is established as a very different discipline with different priorities.

They might start to look more impressive as they gradually acclimate to free-form combat.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I am willing to forgive all of the erratic animation in season 2 just on account of how pretty the Wan episodes are

Crabtree posted:

Are there any other more normal martial art styles shown in Korra that can hold up to benders besides chi strikes? Part of the reason why I liked the first show was that there were martial art prodigies in their own right that could school benders such as Ty Lee. I don't remember much of the first season, but I'm not remembering anything non bender besides electric palms that could fight on par with any bender.

Well there's a lot of variation in "benders"

Somebody like Asami or Amon's Chief Goonbro could probably handle whole squads of your rank-and-file "I can throw a rock!' benders, even without the lightning gauntlet/shock sticks, but I imagine they would be in trouble if they had to go 1-on-1 with Ghazan or Ming-Hua.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

blurry! posted:

Has anyone else been less than impressed with the characterization of Asami? I often forget she's tagging along until she says something out loud or the group needs something expensive. I think the writers designed a character to be smart, friendly, savvy, wealthy, tough and good-looking, and didn't really know what to do with her. She's so well-rounded that there's really nowhere meaningful to go. In the original Team Avatar, each character had a clear set of traits and place in the troupe. In the new team Avatar, there's not a lot of room for Asami. If she's a straight-man character, she had no goofball to play off her like Mako with Bolin. As it stands, she's basically a talking wallet. Personally, I don't think much would be missed if you cut out Asami all together, and had Lin fill her role.

Sorry, Asami.

I think the raw material to make Asami a good character is present and could be pulled into place with one good focus episode.

Unfortunately Legend of Korra's format does not really have room for those, given the shorter seasons and deliberate avoidance of 'filler' episodes. (Although we spent multiple episodes on Lin's family drama, so who knows!)

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 28, 2014

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I do think it was a mistake to abruptly restore Asami's vast fortune off-screen (although breaking her and Mako up off-screen was a very good idea). They should have taken Varrick's swindling of her even further, had her lose her house, her cars, etc.

"Hyper-wealthy and privileged person is suddenly dirt poor" is always interesting because it so seldom happens in real life. Even when companies fold, people are usually left with enough non-liquid assets to keep themselves fairly comfortable.

It would have been fun to watch Asami try and get by with nothing but her wits and maybe a few odds and ends. Particularly as something of a reversal of her season-1 dynamic with Korra.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 28, 2014

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Korra/Asami would be neat if they went for it (or if Nick had the balls to let them go through with it), but since there is a roughly 0% chance of that, I don't see much point in speculating about the execution of it?

Like there are various places for that kind of thing and they ain't here.

The platonic friendship they have is cool and a very healthy and rare thing to see in a kids' show, particularly with female characters. I am happy either way.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Wildeyes posted:

Not sure I understand all the pearl-clutching when the thread starts discussing characters' romantic relationships, something that has always been a significant part of ATLA and Korra. When it starts getting in rule 34 territory, then you can talk about destroying the thread and salting the earth.

SA generally disapproves of fanfic or fanficcy things, and people are especially paranoid because of the bad relationship drama that so characterized the first two seasons.

I think TLA had basically the right amount of romantic content. There was one central relationship (Aang/Katara) that was pretty much preordained, but was treated organically enough that it didn't really get in the way of anything or drag things down, often taking a backseat to other types of interaction between the two. The rest of the romantic content is generally light and humorous, often serving a clear and tangible purpose in a character's arc.

Sokka/Suki, for instance, both humbled Sokka and helped show his maturation process. Similarly, Katara/Jet was a useful growth experience for Katara.

You don't really get that sense of character growth from LoK's romantic melodrama, at least until this most recent season, where the series showcases the friendship that Korra and Asami built despite their initial romantic rivalry and they are able to have a good time making Mako feel awkward.

tl;dr: the amount of time dedicated to various "Mako is bad at girls" plotlines put people off in a big way.

X_Toad posted:

I just noticed something about Ghazan, is it just me or does he use his elbows a lot when bending, at least a lot more than any other earthbenders? Could this be a part of lavabending or is it just his personal style?

if the "lavabending comes from mixed fire nation/earth nation heritage and technique" hypothesis is correct, then it could be a visual representation of that, with the greater upper-body focus that firebending usually has compared to earthbending.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 30, 2014

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Mymla posted:

Maybe I wasn't paying attention as much as I should have, but I the way I remember it, Aang and Katara pretty much just declared their undying love for each other and kissed out of nowhere in like the final episode of the series.

developing a huge crush on Katara was practically the first thing Aang did after he got un-thawed, and this came up several other times throughout the series. On Katara's end, the whole "you're meant to be together!" thing was reinforced a few times.

it was always ~there~, it just looked like a regular friendship most of the time because the participants were literal children and years away from romancing anybody. Which made sense and was good.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

PiedPiper posted:

Also tell them not to touch The Great Divide (11th episode of Book One). Ever.

My one regret about this franchise is that the Canyon Guide was not voiced by sam elliot

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

this franchise has always had the best comic-relief varmints

big noble varmint + small mischievous varmint is a good formula that more kids' shows should adopt, maybe invert.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 31, 2014

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Well, yeah, he is not a guy you want to lean on for any dramatic purposes, but for walk-on gags he is pretty great.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

One thing I do really enjoy about Bolin is the way they do his body-language.

Everything about the way he is animated - from his bending style to his build - seems obviously calculated to throw off this pugnacious, blue-collar vibe that is amusingly at odds with him being a vainglorious dope who blunders his way into an unreasonable amount of success. There's a nice "actually really heroic but doesn't understand how/why and is vaguely baffled" thing going on there.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 31, 2014

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

X_Toad posted:

I'm not sure that I'm getting your point here... are you 100% sure of using "throwing off" correctly?

Yes?

Anyway, what I'm saying is just that it is funny when you've got a dude who is drawn/animated to look like some kinda old-timey street boxer, but who occasionally gets it into his head to try and act like Dorian Gray or somebody. It is always amusing to see Bolin placed in wealthy or high-class environs.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Rougey posted:

I once got horribly sick and lost 15kg in the space of a week, muscle mass is the first thing the body cannibalises, was weak as a kitten for months after.

hot drat, dude, that is a lot of weight!

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 7, 2014

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Harlock posted:

So what made Nick bail and lose all faith in this show? Lack of ratings? Not the right demo?

it is hard to keep a show on your merch-driven kids' network if it neither attracts a young, merch-buying audience nor produces much licensed merch to sell them.

I don't think these are the show's fault, but that is probably what a nick executive would tell you if you lassoed one.

Anyway, we knew this was the last season anyway, so it's not like this is an "Oh no, they're rushing the show and that means they will probably cancel it!" situation, though it probably doesn't bode well for any future series in the franchise.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

Actually it would be pretty rad if a possible Korra sequel got picked up by Adult Swim. That's basically the network it was made for

alternatively I could see whoever picks up the property taking the Teen Titans Go rout and making something more kid-oriented. Either direction would probably work out fine

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 12, 2014

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Largest fists of any avatar

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Four seasons is a pretty good lifespan for a cartoon show, all things considered. I just wish this had hit its stride earlier so that more than two (assuming book 4 continues doing things right) could be kickin' rad

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

ShadowCatboy posted:

"But everything changed when the White Man attacked."

best premise

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I just like it because it looks cool

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Spergatory posted:

My favorite thing about that fight is Pakku seeing his own :stare: face reflected in an ice disk as it just misses cutting right through him.

that whole fight (but especially that shot) was really effective as the show's first big "oh, poo poo, waterbenders are scary!" moment.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Nostalgia Critic does a dumb thing that's very common to self-proclaimed media critics in nerddom, which is that he confuses plot with narrative and ends up fixating on plot for plot's sake.

There are some forms of fiction where it is maybe sorta alright to do this (procedural dramas, whodunnit-oriented mysteries where the author is mostly presenting a puzzle for the audience to solve), but monomyth-style fantasy epics, particularly when presented through the medium of a show for babies, are not among them.

An audience should not actually be that invested in the mechanical, A -> B process that determines whether Flip Strongman successfully uses the Magic Seal to lock Urblex the Undying within the Eternity Prison, but many nerdy audiences (and even authors!) seem to think that following this process is the point of telling a story. They get that ~payoff~ is good, but insist that this be distributed in the form of tangible contributions toward the physical conclusion of the plot rather than abstract emotional journeys or other genuinely interesting things. Works that successfully provide this sort of tangible, highly-visible payoff by the time their final act rolls around tend to be praised, even if toeing that line results in said final act being a clunky-assed cameo checklist.

The plot of Lord of the Rings is "a guy hikes through the woods so he can throw away some bad jewelry. He brings some pals, but eventually most of them leave to go fight battles.". The narrative of Lord of the Rings is significantly more nuanced than that.

The plot of The Library of Babel is "some dudes get lost in a library and cannot find the card catelog". The narrative of The Library of Babel is a meditation on the nature of language and the associated ephemerality of knowledge.

The plot of Avatar is "A kid tries to learn four different types of magic kung-fu so that he can beat up a bully". The narrative of Avatar is "A group of friends goes on a journey of self-discovery where they learn about responsibility, self-respect, family and friendship". An episode like Sokka's Master contributes an awful lot to the latter, but can be resented by nerds for not contributing to the former, even though plot is supposed to serve narrative rather than the other way around.

tl;dr: internet dweebs often aren't great at understanding how fiction works.

thexerox123 posted:

I still don't understand why so many people dislike Avatar Day, I'd rate it over a lot of other episodes.

Episode's gotta get a lot of kudos just for Aang in Kyoshi drag

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 18, 2014

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I certainly hope that is only fanart

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

get hype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

The biggest takeaway from this is that korra is now old enough to buy smokes.

she was always destined to be the first chain-smoking avatar

• Locked thread