Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This is a phone post. I checked it for grammar and stuff but it's stiffly written, sorry about that.

Problem: Computer does not show any output on the monitor. Computer does not pass post. Computer does not have a beep error. Pressing the power button causes all fans to spin. Fan speed seems to be constant.

Attempted fixes. Verified television and HDMI cables are good. Power supply tested good.Tried removing both sticks of ram, still no error. Also removed video card and tried both sticks in dimm 1 slot. No configurations caused any error beep.

Recent issues and changes: the following errors led me to reformat the hard drive and reinstall windows. Tried to play planetary annihilation for the first time and received d3d9.dll error. Attempted to run System File Checker, could not fix error. Ran repair from windows os on thumb drive. repair detected no errors. Copied known good version of dll and tried to run planetary annihilation. Received new dll error. Copied two or three more dlls before getting Kernel dll error.

This is when I reformatted and reinstalled. system seemed fine then, ran planetary annihilation without problem. While playing state of decay system shut down. System would not power on ( current problem).

Windows 7 64 home premium.
Amd processor.
2 sticks of 4Gb corsair ram
Amd hd 6500 1gb video card.
Corsair 650 watt power supply.
Samsung 1tb hard drive.

United states.

I have read the faq and googled this issue. I stupidly do not have a ups, my pc has lost power several times, and I think the mother board is broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Try a different power supply, but I agree the motherboard has likely failed. If not under warranty it's probably smarter to make the jump over to Intel now.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, I will try another power supply.

Between a new motherboard and processor I'm into upgrade territory. Maybe I could throw in more ram, a second video card and a ssd.

Oh, and a ups.

But thanks for the tip, I'll check the power supply and report back.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So I bought a new power supply, motherboard, and processor. (I was too impatient to buy just the power supply and see if that fixed it). Not being comfortable setting up a new processor and motherboard I threw myself at the mercy of a kindly old electrical engineer who's computer room looks like Pritchard's lab from Deus Ex: Human revolution but with more 1970's furniture.

He didn't see anything wrong with the old mother board: no bulging or leaking capacitor or anything, though he also said that's hardly conclusive and the board is probably bad. He kept both the old board and processor and will tinker with them later. We used the new power supply I bought because it's newer and also modular.

He hooked up the new motherboard (and turned my hard drive around since I'd installed it backwards - I wondered why they made it so hard to hook up those cables).He also showed me how all the cuts in the board are to route cables cleanly and now my PC looks less like it was built by an idiot (me).

There were a few moments of frustration when the drat thing wouldn't turn on - we checked if the processor was in all the way, if the led's were set up correctly, if we could jump it with a screwdriver, ect. Once we cleared the CMOS it started right up.

One funny note, I don't have a PC speaker on this PC, so I never would have heard any beeps during POST anyway.

Anyway, the new setup seems to work fine, and this new motherboard has that cool new UEFI or whatever BIOS that looks like a GUI, I dig it. All is well, thanks for the advice.

• Locked thread