Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
This first update has really sold me on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honorific!
Jul 5, 2007

Well played, Goonsire!
OMG Panzer Skank DND!

Also ikks' deep gravelly voice as a pretty bunny princess.

My life is compete. :allears:

edit: Who wants to start a betting pool on how long before Panzer vomits from laughter during a session?

Honorific! fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 27, 2014

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Echoing the people who are happy they can get in on the ground floor of this.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh question are you guys going to be updating your characters and the rules of the game when the actual game comes out.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Man, with this cast of players the antics in this campaign are going to be amazing. Loving the characters too! I can't wait to see where this all goes.

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

Pretty pretty pony pony pretty pony pon pon

Lotish posted:

As someone who has not been following the D&D Next development, can someone fill me in on what this reputation is (without, I guess, getting into a fight about it)? I've seen things like character sheets posted on the Escapist, and the comment section is usually "I still have 3.5 so no thanks."

Poorweather summed it up pretty well once. "It tries to have it's cake and eat it, leading it to be stuck in a state of strangely designed flux where some features are pointlessly complex and others super simple. And so doesn't really please any group."

You can see the patchwork design all over the place. One page will have the simplified character creation options and combat but then turn the page and there are dice rules to determine how far a party can travel in an hour over jungle terrain compared to desert terrain.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh question are you guys going to be updating your characters and the rules of the game when the actual game comes out.

We already had to do a complete character overhaul when we got our hands on a new playtest (which royally screwed over Kit by the way) so I think it's safe to assume we'll keep up with the real release.

It may also be worth noting that after every session (unless NOTHING happens) we're going to level up the characters. So we can all play with, see and show off the late game D&D content.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

This is great!

earthdivine
Apr 29, 2009
Oh boy ground floor of a new DND lp! My group have been waiting to see how DND Next changed things so I'm looking forward so much to this.

A quick question, though, are you guys planning on discussing how your characters needed revisions through the new playtests? I'm interested in how they could have messed up Kit, or was it a change to barbarians in general?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Who did the voice of Grog Q. Nard? That's a nice touch to explain mechanics.

Also, in my Pathfinder LP, we tried one session of DnD Next with a prewritten module. This was maybe a year and a half, two years ago, and while the rules may have changed since then, the module itself was such a poorly written mess of an adventure we gave up on it. There was an unlosable boss fight that would have taken HOURS to beat it without hand waiving things, the map had a maze with no exits, and at no point as a DM did I know what I was supposed to be doing. It made for a good, and hilarious, podcast, and in hindsight it was pretty funny, but it really was a clusterfuck of a module.

EDIT: VVV To be fair I haven't watched much of your other stuff before.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 28, 2014

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

kalonZombie posted:

This has to be a joke question, as I'm certain my voice acting abilities are not THAT good.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

kalonZombie posted:

I actually do a lot of the voices. I did Grog Q. Nard, but I also voice Palla, Joey, and Kit. Wolfshirt voices Rockmeats, and Panzer/Medibot/Ikks in chorus do the NPCs

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Goons have some kind of magical ability to not be able to distinguish faces or voices under any circumstances.

Glad to be in on the ground floor of this LP! I've been meaning to get into 13th Age but there's such a backlog it's intimidating. I loved the D&D 4e LP and am excited to see how D&D Next fucks everything up!

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant

earthdivine posted:

A quick question, though, are you guys planning on discussing how your characters needed revisions through the new playtests? I'm interested in how they could have messed up Kit, or was it a change to barbarians in general?

It's all pretty messy anyway. I had talked it over with Medibot and we houseruled kit so every reference to "str" in the Barbarian was replaced with "dex", to fit more of a duelist than a berserker. Originally, this meant that combined with the Halfling (which I reskinned to be a bunny) light weapon training, I could dual-wield light weapons and end up being on par with a strongarm character. Light weapon training was removed, however, and dual wield rules were changed. I dunno if I end up being stronger or weaker than a normal str barbarian... but I got over it when I remembered we are clearly more about the roleplay than the battle.

I have also ended up with training in both "tumbling" and "acrobatics" and I have no idea how those are differentiated, but my training only grants a mighty +1 to rolls, so. whatev! whatev. I'm a princess.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

PlasmaMan posted:

I have also ended up with training in both "tumbling" and "acrobatics" and I have no idea how those are differentiated, but my training only grants a mighty +1 to rolls, so. whatev! whatev. I'm a princess.

Acrobatics is going up, tumbling is coming down!

That's a joke, but to be serious I'd guess that Tumbling would be, like, the halfway point between Athletics and Acrobatics? Like, bracing for falls and rolling out of the way of things and doing neat flips and rolls, but you aren't very good at jumping or climbing or running long distances? I dunno, it's pretty dumb.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Acrobatics is going up, tumbling is coming down!

That's a joke, but to be serious I'd guess that Tumbling would be, like, the halfway point between Athletics and Acrobatics? Like, bracing for falls and rolling out of the way of things and doing neat flips and rolls, but you aren't very good at jumping or climbing or running long distances? I dunno, it's pretty dumb.

I guess one of the few things Pathfinder did right was combining a bunch of similar skills together - "Acrobatics" covers balancing, jumping and tumbling. Although 4th went one better with it also covering Escape Artist.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That was a pretty great introduction. Needs a little more Deponia, though.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

If this is my compensation for the epic tier of the old party not happening then I'm cool with it.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Tin Tim posted:

If this is my compensation for the epic tier of the old party not happening then I'm cool with it.

4e tends to crumble at the seams in epic tier gameplay anyway. Games I have always been involved in only do two or three epic tier sessions to wrap things up. I've never seen a game go all the way to 30th level and not have all the battles take hours and hours due to magic item use choices, power choices, silly stupid amounts of hp on both sides, etc etc. Wizards didn't give epic tier as much thought as Heroic or Paragon, but that's because only 1% of groups will actually play long enough to use them anyway.

But yes, this is a nice way of not dealing with broken rules... by looking at totally other broken rules!

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

What's the program you fine folks are using for this?

VV Much obliged. :tipshat:

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 29, 2014

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
http://www.roll20.net

It's basically the simplest, most easy to use RPG software out there and they're working on making it more and more robust at all times.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
No mages? Even so, this is going to be...
:magical:

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I'm part of a fairly decent-sized Japanese table RPG club, and I can't wait to show the guys these videos and tell them 'This is how Westerners play D&D. In other words, this is the RIGHT way to play D&D.' Also can't wait to pick up the starter kit next month and slap together a translation so I can try it out with the guys.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

petrol blue posted:

No mages? Even so, this is going to be...
:magical:

Even this view of the future too optimistic. The healer, whose rolls are relied on to sustain the entire party, is Joey.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Getsuya posted:

I'm part of a fairly decent-sized Japanese table RPG club, and I can't wait to show the guys these videos and tell them 'This is how Westerners play D&D. In other words, this is the RIGHT way to play D&D.' Also can't wait to pick up the starter kit next month and slap together a translation so I can try it out with the guys.

Do they mostly play Western-made games, or do you stick more with Japanese developed stuff? The recent translations of stuff like Ryutama, Meikyuu Kingdom, and Double Cross has had some cool inspirations for American rpg designers.

General Ironicus fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 29, 2014

moot4king
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug
So why did you pick DnD Next?
All I can see is negative stuff about it

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Why are you answering your own question?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

General Ironicus posted:

Do they mostly play Western-made games, or do you stick more with Japanese developed stuff? The recent translations of stuff like Ryutama, Meikyuu Kingdom, and Double Cross has had some cool inspirations for American rpg designers.

Almost exclusively Japan-made stuff here. I run Yuuyake Koyake normally (Golden Sky Stories in English), since I like RPing over combat. The guy who runs the events is a huge nerd of Kancolle, that warships-turned-into-girls stuff, and they made an RPG of that so he always runs that. Another guy does Kill Death Business, which is a freaking rad super violent black comedy game set in a reality show in Hell, and usually we'll have one other person doing something random like Tokyo Nova. We also occasionally get someone doing a Cthulhu game. I think recently Log Horizon has also been catching on, and some guy is going to start a full-blown Sword World 2.0 campaign next month (usually we just do 1 session games for our meetings, but sometimes people want to do a real campaign).

Anyway we also try out new stuff as it comes out, so I think the guys would love to run some good old D&D once the Next starter kit comes out.

Edit: And thanks for reminding me about Ryutama. I need to pick that one up next time I'm out at a RPG shop. It looks to be right up my alley.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 29, 2014

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Roll20 is why me and some pubbie pals have actually been doing stuff off and on again. When not making wondrous towns of squares and circles, you can plunk down a module's map image. It also has built in voice and videochat, though we don't really put that to use ourselves.

Of course, we're also very trusting of eachother and have everyone set to GM status so we can just determine if we hit and see/adjust the HP of our own drat enemies as a time saver. Though that can completely gently caress Fog of war options and per-placing hidden enemies on the GM tile, without us trying to politely avoid metagaming.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

moot4king posted:

So why did you pick DnD Next?
All I can see is negative stuff about it

There are good things to be said about and to be honestly I am really excited for it myself. However something awful was not the most kind to it and as a result the thread was put in the Imp Zone. Anyway I would write out the good things about it. But I feel lazy, I am a terrible writer and someone else could probably explain it better then I could.

Anyway the basic rules for the full game (Not the playtest that is currently being played) are going to be free so when they come out you can judge it on your own. Character creation rules for the Basic Fighter, Rogue, Cleric and Wizard will be out on the 3rd.

Also for fun here are Four Monster previewed from the starter set of the game.

Have no idea what a Nothic is or looks like. Here it is.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Holy poo poo I want a Nothic pet

High-Water Marx
Dec 30, 2007

History is nothing but the actions of men in pursuit of gnarly waves

Because of the voicing and actions/descriptions of Rockmeats I'm picturing them as a felt-made little stop motion doll in the style of Fantastic Mr. Fox. (Do you think I'm an athlete? I think I'm an athlete.)

Loving the whole thing, from Medibot's scene guidance & the whole-package production to each of the party member's individual personalities. Looking forward to more of this.

p.s. The music direction when y'all were trying to drag Joey up the stairs was glorious.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Try a pug? They've got the same squashed faces, and a reasonably good chance of being one-eyed.

Riobs
Oct 30, 2011

I'm looking forward to seeing what Rockmeats can do, he's so adorable.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Hurrah! Another LP for me to listen to on the commute. Quality work as always gang, can't wait to see where it goes!

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

I love how the first die roll is Joey rolling a 1. This is pre-destined to be fantastic.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I hope this campaign's not a prequel, I don't think Joey will last that long.

When did Plaz start going by Ikks?

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

DrakePegasus posted:

Even this view of the future too optimistic. The healer, whose rolls are relied on to sustain the entire party, is Joey.

Luckily all of Joey's healing for now Just Happen. So you're at least going to get something.

Speaking of for anyone interested here is Joey's current Character sheet

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

WolfShirt posted:

Speaking of for anyone interested here is Joey's current Character sheet

I assume Performance (Flex) is Joey's most vital skill.

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

I assume Performance (Flex) is Joey's most vital skill.

It's certainly the one that comes up most often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gharbad the Weak posted:

If only they were not evil, human sized, could kill you by looking at you and were fictional.

• Locked thread