Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Of course, how could I forget everyone's favorite, Dungeons and Big Bad Beetleborgs 3.5?

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

Pretty pretty pony pony pretty pony pon pon

D&D! Episode 4-5: The Fake Fight Gets Real

The crew only gives a passing acknowledgment that their opponents are real and really want them dead while they perform their hearts out for the crowd.

Will the Merry Magician give them favor after their soul stirring performaces? Or will she more correctly realize that they're poo poo actors?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Ah, yes, but they are poo poo actors with POTENTIAL!

Comment
Feb 18, 2011
Just wanna say that Ethel totally slew that whole scene, although in a much more intentional way than Panzer slew Brad. Keep on playing elfgames The Correct Way, guys.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
At no point have I managed to pick up the mantle of 'bunny princess'. I am very much a pretender to the bunny throne, so you will have to forgive me for not being able to pick up Ick's characterization properly.

For now I'll just hit things with foam and roll in vomit.

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014
drat near every part of Kit's speech during the fight had me laughing to the point where I had to pause the video. Outstanding work.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Yeah, the best part of the whole thing was the terrible acting. It was so great.

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

D&D Episode 5-1: The Wicked Wood Weakens Wills

Turns out the fake fight was a complete success, the Merry Magician has offered to help us in return for helping her out with a little problem she's been having outside of town.

Either that or the performance proved we were all idiots who would blindly follow a powerful wizard into some darken woods unsupervised where we'll be completely helpless. You know, either or.

(Hey guys, schedule was a bit too tight to make a LAST TIME ON segment for the start of this session, as an appology I have left in some cutting room floor tabletalk nonsense for you. I hope it makes up for it, I know how much you love nonsense!)

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Will the entire session soundtrack be Mystic Cave Zone? :allears:

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

When the "what if bugs had fingers" discussion began I didn't picture them having fingers on their little feet, but rather to-scale human fingers growing out of their backs and heads like that rat with the human ear on its back. Just imagine a cockroach with two fingers growing out of it where it's wings would be. That's what appeared in my head. ...It's pretty cool.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The bonus tablechat from this episode is just phenomenal, I gotta say. Thanks for putting that in, Wolfshirt.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This, this is a pain that every DM feels once in a while. No way to describe that, you need to live through it. I found myself instinctively grasping for a pencil that wasn't there* all around the "exposition" bits.
You learn to just go with the flow eventually, but people who never DM'd won't understand the murderous rage players incite all too easily.

*Flinging pens at players used to be My Pissed Off DM thing. Until the bastards started removing sharp objects from the area.

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

D_W posted:

When the "what if bugs had fingers" discussion began I didn't picture them having fingers on their little feet, but rather to-scale human fingers growing out of their backs and heads like that rat with the human ear on its back. Just imagine a cockroach with two fingers growing out of it where it's wings would be. That's what appeared in my head. ...It's pretty cool.

This is the most terrifying thing anybody's made me imagine in weeks. Congrats.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

D_W posted:

Some bugs do have fingers. In their mouth. From the last group of adventurers that tried to fight them.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

WolfShirt posted:

This is the most terrifying thing anybody's made me imagine in weeks. Congrats.

Anything to help! :D

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

MelvinBison posted:

Some bugs do have fingers. In their mouth. From the last group of adventurers that tried to fight them.

Somehow that last part just makes it less scary.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Will the party ever make a successful Arcana check? Tune in next time to find out!

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Bendigeidfran posted:

Will the party ever make a successful Arcana check? Tune in next time to find out!

I mean, they might have been successful when checking to see if they got magicked? A failure, and a no are the same in that case.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Gensuki posted:

I mean, they might have been successful when checking to see if they got magicked? A failure, and a no are the same in that case.

I mean they're probably right about that and the lame enchantment in the pumpkins. They're just so paranoid they never find the insidious wiz-biz they're actually looking for. Like if you find no traps in a hallway but you're sure they're all around the next corner.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The trick is to think about forms the Destroyer would be ineffectual if it took.

The yawning void of space, for example, would be absolutely terrifying. It would like swallow you whole and you'd get chewed up by tiny tiny stars.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
If Wolfshirt ever tells you something isn't going to make it in, it's probably going to be the first lines of the next episode.

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

D&D! Episode 5-3: The Bandits Get What For

Our heroes swap one problem for another as they clear out some bandits only to end up in a pit with undead and killer automatons.

Really not going on a upward slope here.

WolfShirt fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 7, 2015

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

So, are you going to get the thread title changed again, then?

I'm pretty curious though, since you've hopped editions again, has there been much of a changeup in character builds?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I'm really hoping this game hops through all the editions in a semi-random order and ends up in d20 modern somehow.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant

SubNat posted:

So, are you going to get the thread title changed again, then?

I'm pretty curious though, since you've hopped editions again, has there been much of a changeup in character builds?

Kit is now full rogue rather than the multiclass mess I put together out of spite for 3.5.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Wait what are we on now? Pathfinder?

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Poorweather mumbles that it's 4th edition around the 23 minute mark, I think.

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

Let's Play ALL the D&Ds.

Tune in next week for 1st edition, Palla's new class is Elf.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Gharbad the Weak posted:

YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP

Pathfinder is a decent system. simpler and more functional than 3.5, without the piles of outside bonuses to factor in.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Is this going to be tied to the overarching plot somehow?

McBearson
Apr 29, 2013

Next time on LPD&D; Maid RPG!

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.

Cheez posted:

Is this going to be tied to the overarching plot somehow?

Yes, if the overarching plot is that no one else in the group wants or knows how to have real fun.

(REAL FUN INVOLVES LOTS OF NUMBERS)

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Switch over to Legends of the Wulin and shift everything to inexplicably set it in China.

Turn it into a kung fu movie overnight.

Edit:

Mordaedil posted:

What exactly was causing the frustration? I barely saw any rolling for several episodes.

Well when you're using a system and your solution is to "well, let's just not use it"...

mdct fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 19, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
What exactly was causing the frustration? I barely saw any rolling for several episodes.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Eagerly expecting the inevitable switch to FATAL.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Switch over to Legends of the Wulin and shift everything to inexplicably set it in China.

Turn it into a kung fu movie overnight.

Do you know how far they had to walk with Gary? They walked for like 3 years. They could be in China with how far they walked.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I would be cool with this turning into a Feng Shui game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant

Mordaedil posted:

The fake battle in Merrywood made it clear that if we went with 3.5, there would either always be half the party overpowered and half the party underpowered, or Gharbad would make everyone's characters and nobody would be sure how to use them. Either way, kind of a nightmare for the DMing style I try to take-- it would mean keeping these two on this half of the battlefield and those two on that half (in the playpen). 4e at least balances it out for beginners.

• Locked thread