Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I just love how Joey's holy symbol is 'biceps.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honorific!
Jul 5, 2007

Well played, Goonsire!
Wait, Joey has 11 intelligence??? That's got to be an error.

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

Honorific! posted:

This campaign takes place before the car accident.

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

Pretty pretty pony pony pretty pony pon pon

Honorific! posted:

It's still his lowest don't worry! We all rolled for stats (I think) and Joey rolled pretty OK overall.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
That's IQ, not int.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I'm concerned about the sanctity of the Joey canon

Honorific!
Jul 5, 2007

Well played, Goonsire!
Well, after long and careful consideration, it's not really that Joey is dumb so much as he has no grasp of consequences. He needs like a skill focus in brashness or something.

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

Honorific! posted:

He needs like a skill focus in brashness or something.

Well, I guess you could say that he's a little too... bull-headed?

I'll see myself out.

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

Session 1-2 The Encounter of Jellies

Noble knight, Kevin Johns has enlisted the help of the most rag tag looking group of upstarts he could find to begin their quest.

Off to the town of Errut our heroes must first traverse a peaceful looking forest path. Seems simple enough, so how will they find a way to mess it up?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe the party hasn't heard of scumble, but points for the reference.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
:3: Never stop being so adorable, you guys.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Any chance of audio podcasts alongside the videos? I love me some actual plays but Youtube isn't an option while I'm working. Or will those come out monthly with the full session?

Either way, I like what you guys have done previously. It'll be interesting to hear NEXT in play.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Just saw this thread existed. Been following since DnD 4e Paragon and am super excited to see what this party gets into. Can't wait to get home so I can listen to the first episode.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I like your approach to encounters! Those are usually the dullest part of watching sessions so I'm glad you spiced it up a little.

Honorific!
Jul 5, 2007

Well played, Goonsire!
I haven't been following D&D next at all, but from the little that was said about warpriests in this episode, they sound pretty cool.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Is it only me or is the (speaking) audio kinda low? Can barely make out what you say even with every volume control I got cranked to max, and I usually don't have that problem (with other LPs).

And this LP reminds me a whole lot about my first forays into the world of RPGs back in the day, although those had more poisonous land-lobsters.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

SageNytell posted:

Any chance of audio podcasts alongside the videos? I love me some actual plays but Youtube isn't an option while I'm working. Or will those come out monthly with the full session?

Either way, I like what you guys have done previously. It'll be interesting to hear NEXT in play.

Worst case, if they don't upload the audio separately, you could try http://www.youtube-mp3.org/ to get them as audio only downloads.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant

SageNytell posted:

That brings up a good question, I was waiting for this thread to get rolling to ask. I edit the 13a podcasts and cut out very little. Wolfshirt edits the videos for both, and cuts out a lot of the drag and combat.

Would it be better to release the podcasts as I have been doing, relatively uncut for those who like the crunch, or would it be better to just use the videos' mp3s?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

PlasmaMan posted:

That brings up a good question, I was waiting for this thread to get rolling to ask. I edit the 13a podcasts and cut out very little. Wolfshirt edits the videos for both, and cuts out a lot of the drag and combat.

Would it be better to release the podcasts as I have been doing, relatively uncut for those who like the crunch, or would it be better to just use the videos' mp3s?

I would love some uncut stuff in the podcast.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I love how the dice gods will forever give Wolfshirt bad rolls when the outcome is funny. Joey has a long road ahead of him before he'll become the tough and cool bug minotaur guy we knew.

PlasmaMan posted:

Man, that's a tough call. I personally had the podcasts going while playing a game or doing poo poo around the house, so I don't mind them including everything. I even enjoyed your pre/post game chats.

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014

PlasmaMan posted:

Personally, I like the combat uncut. It can get a little draggy at times, but it makes the victory more meaningful, especially if someone gets some crap luck and manages to overcome that.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I prefer things uncut in podcasts due to not having to pay attention to them visually, making them less attention-demanding to listen to. I like the cuts in video, though, because I pay closer attention to those inherently.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

PlasmaMan posted:

longer podcasts would be great! I have an hour to kill on the way to work, so fill it up!

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

Personally I think uncut podcast and edited video is the way to go too.

Pimpmust posted:

Is it only me or is the (speaking) audio kinda low? Can barely make out what you say even with every volume control I got cranked to max, and I usually don't have that problem (with other LPs).

And this LP reminds me a whole lot about my first forays into the world of RPGs back in the day, although those had more poisonous land-lobsters.

Funny, when I listen on youtube it seems fine to me but I can definitely boost the audio. What does everyone think? Is it just the music being too loud?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
I thought the audio was a bit quiet too, except for the combat commentary.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I'm a bit quiet, turn me up.

Honorific!
Jul 5, 2007

Well played, Goonsire!
I think the backround music was just a little too loud compared to everyone's voices.

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

Alright guys, I'm going to bump the audio up for the next two videos and I'll see what I can do about the music levels as well.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

One more for the uncut podcast line right here.

Didn't have any trouble with the audio levels in the YouTubes version. Seemed quite perfect for me. I like that it's edited a bit, and it cuts down on the waiting, but it'd still be nice to have an uncut version to commute with.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I love that I genuinely don't know whether Medibot planned to name the emperor of the Rondalian Empire Ron Dalia or if he's just rolling with it.

literally crying at the scumble scene, you guys are great.

Question about Next: Would it be possible to make Carmen Sandiego in this system? This is important. I've been hoping for a system that says "gently caress it" and lets thieves steal anything, up to and including national monuments and intangible concepts.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant

Nihilarian posted:

I love that I genuinely don't know whether Medibot planned to name the emperor of the Rondalian Empire Ron Dalia or if he's just rolling with it.

literally crying at the scumble scene, you guys are great.

Question about Next: Would it be possible to make Carmen Sandiego in this system? This is important. I've been hoping for a system that says "gently caress it" and lets thieves steal anything, up to and including national monuments and intangible concepts.

you're better off with 13th Age. One of the high-level rogue abilities is, in fact, to steal anything. The only stipulation is you can only steal something once, but I don't see that as presenting a problem to Carmen.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

PlasmaMan posted:

I've always preferred the uncut podcasts.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

WolfShirt posted:

Poorweather summed it up pretty well once. "It tries to have it's cake and eat it, leading it to be stuck in a state of strangely designed flux where some features are pointlessly complex and others super simple. And so doesn't really please any group."

So. 3.0 and 3.5 were terribly, hideously broken, with classes either being completely useless or overpowered beyond belief. So D&D completely overhauls its system in 4th to make every class and spec viable, at the cost of a chunk of creativity and other issues (the very slow combat) and the grognards bitch and bitch and BITCH over it (with some valid points and mostly WE CAN'T BREAK THE SYSTEM ANY MORE). So they try and please everyone and of course they end up with a mess that pleases no one. Figures.

So, is the old Joey and co campaign ever going to continue, or has the complications of Epic Tier mean the groups are pretty much split into this and 13th Age now and hence the last thing we'll ever see is Gibnaf completely clowning that dragon?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Cornwind Evil posted:

So, is the old Joey and co campaign ever going to continue, or has the complications of Epic Tier mean the groups are pretty much split into this and 13th Age now and hence the last thing we'll ever see is Gibnaf completely clowning that dragon?

Well it's not much of a split if both groups are 90% the same people...

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

My approach to RP systems has always been "The house rules all." If a system has a bunch of dumb or overly complex rules I just wouldn't use them. Tabletop RPGs should be about the narrative formed from the players and not about interactions with a system (that's better done in video games.) The rules are always just guidelines and shortcuts to get everyone on the same page and make it easier for folks who may not be as imaginative to play.

WolfShirt posted:

Alright guys, I'm going to bump the audio up for the next two videos and I'll see what I can do about the music levels as well.

Here's some audio feedback:
-Background music can be as low as -18 to -21 db or lower. Right now it's a bit loud, but not unbearable.
-You could compress then boost the dialogue audio a bit more, but doesn't need to be much louder. What would probably benefit the dialogue audio more is better mics honestly, but you can still mix around it.
-If all else fails you can always just normalize the audio to -0.1 db in Audacity. It's not a prefect solution, but it'll make everything as loud as possible without peaking. Obviously it would be best to do this after compression.
-Also I wouldn't mind if the dialogue audio was panned out a bit. That'll really help with preventing people from "overlapping." Which, admittedly, I didn't really notice was an issue until listening with headphones.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Really the only thing we're missing out on is the nightmarish hellscape of Syrgworld. But that's a pretty big loss.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Given that every man and their dog keeps going on about some other campaign Joey appeared in, I'm surprised nobody has posted a link for those of us who didn't see it. :v: Apparently it must have been a good one.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Yapping Eevee posted:

Given that every man and their dog keeps going on about some other campaign Joey appeared in, I'm surprised nobody has posted a link for those of us who didn't see it. :v: Apparently it must have been a good one.

The thread has fallen into Archives, but here's the Blip channel. However, I think more than a few of the videos have been lost.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cornwind Evil posted:

So. 3.0 and 3.5 were terribly, hideously broken, with classes either being completely useless or overpowered beyond belief. So D&D completely overhauls its system in 4th to make every class and spec viable, at the cost of a chunk of creativity and other issues (the very slow combat) and the grognards bitch and bitch and BITCH over it (with some valid points and mostly WE CAN'T BREAK THE SYSTEM ANY MORE). So they try and please everyone and of course they end up with a mess that pleases no one. Figures.

I would advise checking it for yourself. The basic rules of the game are going to be out on the 3rd for free.

Also if 5e at least solved both of those problems. It's not terribly broken and combat is much faster. Honestly looking at the previews and such the game is looking pretty cool and I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

Yapping Eevee posted:

The podcast versions must still be up somewhere. I'm sure I downloaded them just a few months ago.

• Locked thread