Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
This....actually looks like fun. I'll probably give it a shot. Open world PvP is always a huge draw for me.

EDIT: How the heck do you use Arc? I can't seem to download the game. Do I need to wait for early access date to actually open to download it?

skystream92 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Misbiopy posted:

Do you have a key from a starter/hero pack? After entering my closed beta key it just let me download the game, but since closed beta is down now I'm not entirely sure whether it will let you download it before the 1st. Basically I just redeemed my key, then went to Games>Swordsman>Play for Free.

EDIT: I mean the Beta Key that they e-mail you.

Didn't get a key when I purchased the starter/hero pack. I wonder if they won't send me the key until the early access begins.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Misbiopy posted:

I don't think that's intended. I'd either check my email spam folder to make sure it didn't get sorted into that(mine did), or try opening a support ticket since they supposedly are actually in the office now.

Okay thanks for the info. I did put in a support ticket, so let's see what happens.

EDIT: Nvm I found it...it was put into promotions in gmail :wtf:

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
How is Zephyr in PvP? Been thinking about rolling that.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
So are we basically on hold until 7/1 to get in? I don't see any play buttons on the Arc client.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Syndlig posted:

Oh god, this game looks like a Not poo poo Wushu. It's everything I've hoped for in a lovely asian MMO. The only tough choice is going to be deciding what class to play as, whether or not to stick to my horrible bug-infested roots and go Harmony or Sun & Moon.

Sounds like there isn't a bad choice. I'm going mystical magician fan dude because the spell particles look cool.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Drinkfist posted:

Movies I have watched in that past 48 Hours.

13 Assassins
Mulan
Fearless
Ip Man

Nearly ready...

If you haven't, you need to watch Red Cliffs.

Also, there are some great TV series made in Taiwan around the Wuxia series. They used to be on youtube, and I want to say they were subbed. Laughing smiling wanderer (笑傲江湖) and the condor trilogy (Legend of the Condor Heroes, Return of the Condor Heroes, Heavenly Sword and Dragon Saber)/(射鵰英雄傳, 神鵰俠侶, 倚天屠龍記) are by FAR my favorite

EDIT: Looks like this dude on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/user/HueNgocZoeTay/videos) has my favorite adaptation for Heavenly Sword and Dragon Saber.

skystream92 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 1, 2014

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
Has everyone decided what school to play yet? I've been thinking either Zephyr or Splendor.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
I'll be on early access, a bit late probably (don't get off work until 3 pm PST). Plan to hit it hard tonight and do some serious leveling, or any shenanigans we end up doing.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Absurd Revolver posted:

Y'know, I didn't play AoW, and my knowledge of Wuxia overall is fairly lacking, what exactly do Endo and Exo mean?

Endo usually means internal/chi/yin energy, whereas Exo is external/hard/yang energy.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
Still can't get in. Man this sucks.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

angerbot posted:

While I'm not like, pleased about not being able to get in, the sheer amount of pubbie rage on the forums is endlessly entertaining.

If a lot of people initiate Paypal chargebacks over this though, I can see some problems arising there.

This is true. I've been through enough MMO launches to think that this had a good 50/50 chance atleast of happening. It's like people are surprised or something.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
Well, I was given a leveling pack in my email. Not sure if because of the early access issues, or if that comes with the hero pack I purchased.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

jwang posted:

Hmmm... got a server is down error for Claymore. Am I missing a step or something? Or is this because of "MMO's First Day Rush" syndrome?

It's broken. People who purchased the early access may or may not get in, people who don't have early access are sometimes getting in, it's a pretty big cluster right now.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
Welp, over 10 hrs and the game is still broken.

Here is to hoping that tomorrow is less poo poo.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
So how does the class spread seem to be right now? What seems to be the most played school? Least played? Just curious what I should roll if I wanted to be a super special little snowflake.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
What's...wrong with his face?

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Haroshia posted:

Infinity seemed pretty drat good when I played them, you just need to have good fast decision making because their powerful abilities are tradeoffs. You need to decide if you're going to tap the button and do ranged damage with a low cooldown, or hold the button hoping your opponent hits you to set up a counter attack. If they don't hit you however, you just do the ranged attack but with something like a 30 second cooldown. You do have to get them to 40 to see them be really playable in 1v1 situations. They don't get a grab, acupuncture that isn't a counter, or any gap closer until 40. Their biggest issue is just straight up damage. Their burst is significantly less than Harmony, Sun Moon, or Splendor, which can suck because you want it to be more rewarding when you trick somebody into hitting your counter attack.

You can be a total dick with them too by casting the counter-ready, and cancelling it quickly with block, then going back to counter-ready (your skill doesn't go on CD).

And maybe I just suck, but I can't burst very hard with Harmony. Compared to Splendor, Harmony's burst seems pretty low.

EDIT: For harmony, basically I do death phase into silent flash, into the two ghost march skills (the one where a dude drops from the sky, and the line knockup). The issues I've had is that the knockup seems pretty unreliable, and not sure how to follow up on the knockup.

skystream92 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 7, 2014

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Bored Grunt posted:

Played a royal guard in wushu and tried sun & moon based on the op... not really feeling it though. Was thinking of rolling up a Wu-Tang just to try something different.

Not sure how I'd feel about tanking in PVE but in group PVP it sounds like it could be fun with all the charging and control skills. Any Wu-Tang players having class regrets yet?

Honestly, Wu-Tang seems really, really effing strong. Good AoE cc, great tank capabilities, good damage too. Wu-tang is probably one of the hardest classes to deal with in 1v1 arena.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Hy_C posted:

^^^^^Harmony/Splendor/S&M have thier roles in guild Pvp. A S&M can pull people out of the line into the group. From what I experienced I group arena, Splendors jump anyone out my themselves or pulled out incredibly fast. Basically if you find anyone out by themselves or pulled out, you can close the gap with one of your many charging moves and deal a lot of damage in a short amount of time. I suspect harmony would do the same since both classes have some of the highest single target damage.

The only issue I've really found with Harmony is being super squishy for world pvp as well, especially group cluster fucks. Usually I skirt around the edge of the fight, and try to catch someone. Honestly, been contemplating rolling something different to support goon world pvp efforts in the future.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Liberatore posted:

So I'd like to clarify something. Harmony is one of the least played classes in the guild and it's believed that this is attributed to the perception that they are easily defeated by staying in the air. This couldn't be further from the truth.

Yes, the main acupuncture skill for Harmony (Harmony gets two acupuncture skills!) will indeed whiff if you try to use it against a mid-air target. However, keep in mind we're talking about a fully targeted, medium range, incredibly fast acupuncture skill. Also, Harmony gets a charge skill that will momentarily root your target, in addition to breaking their block; It will hit mid-air targets, and if you root them mid-air, the acupuncture will work against them. It's also fully targeted and has a very long range. Missing the acupuncture usually happens only against opponents who won't leave you time to charge (.55 seconds)... the charge, which is something you can control yourself.

Nevermind that skills that can be used in the air are few and far between. The Harmony's acupuncture skill's speed and ease of application means you can frequently take opportunities to interrupt an opponent mid-animation with it.

To tag on to this, I pretty much never miss my acupuncture as Harmony. It is so easy to chain death charge w/ acupuncture that it pretty much always hits. In addition, the acupuncture is so fast that you can actually get it off between someone's combos if you hit it at the right time.

If someone jumps, it is actually pretty easy to hit them the second they touch the ground with acupuncture.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Liberatore posted:

Oh, so that's what it means. So the Harmony's main acupuncture can't be countered or blocked.

This is actually untrue. Harmony's main acupuncture skill (not mirage, because who the hell uses mirage) CANNOT be used on a counter target. I've tried it just to find out if it works. If you try to ghost dash (whatever the hell it's called) an infinity player with counter-ready up, you will get countered.

Which is dumb, because it basically means Harmony doesn't have a way to deal with counter-ready status (unless you bring mirage, but once again, who the hell uses mirage).

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

aleksendr posted:

I decided to eliminate infinity from the running because "Dont hit me when i glow" is a nice concept for a final boss but not really feasible for a PVP heavy game.

Keep in mind this really only has to happen once. I believe most (if not all) of the counters are linkstrike-able, which means their counter effect happens once you have countered something.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Liberatore posted:

Weird. The acupuncture certainly can't be blocked, I know that much.

Yeah the acupuncture goes through block because the skill is actually a grab. However, grabs are counterable, whereas normally acupunctures aren't. I have no idea how the coding works...but as far as my testing has shown, I can't acupuncture a counter-ready target w/ Harmony.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
By the way dudes, if you don't know, if you bought the hero pack, you can redeem it 10x over the account. Same character, different, doesn't matter. Swim in your unbound coins.

EDIT: The only thing that sucks is your entire bag/stash will be filled with the same god drat costume.

skystream92 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 10, 2014

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Liberatore posted:

The PvP combat in this game is awesome and insanely difficult (to master), which to me is the main appeal. I't pretty much on-rails and PvP free until a certain point, but new activities start showing up gradually. Some are PvE, some are PvP, some are PvE but incentive PvP. If Wushu was 50% sandbox, this is 25% sandbox. It has many, many features you would typically never see on a western theme park MMOG.

P.S.: It's amazing how watchable the PvP in this game is. I've had such an incredible amount of fun spectating, commenting on and fighting in arena matches with goons. The King of Fighters mode is the loving best.

Honestly, watching some of the Taiwan PvP tournaments is absolutely insane, especially their animation cancels. Makes it almost seem like street fighter. There was an Infinity video I was watching that was animation cancelling counters into other counters.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

Is that dude high up in dynasty or something, when I did my roar he talked to me for a bit too.

Isn't he the guild leader?

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Third World Reggin posted:

We own salt harbor. Our guild HQ is there.

You still enter the HQ the same way via cities.

We will have repeatable quests for unbound some time in the future.

EDIT: chat log, oh boy

http://i.imgur.com/S0fIP8Y.jpg

LemonKush is a special one..

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Bored Grunt posted:

How effective is the bot grinding for leveling at 45+ ? I'm tempted to purchase some funbucks and go crazy in an effort to play catch-up.

Curious if it's worth the hassle to babysit it.. I'll likely hit 50 by this weekend through normal play anyways.

Bot grinding is pretty effective, and the bot is relatively smart. I pretty much have it going every night.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
Gearing is kind of lost to me at this point. At lvl 52, should I just be running instances at swordsman+ and pray for good drops? Is that pretty much the only way?

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Haroshia posted:

Run instances for crafting materials and hero tokens. Do the daily bounty board for hero tokens. Turn them in to exo/endo merchants for gear.

How good is crafted stuff? Haven't tried crafting anything yet because I thought it sucked.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
Alright one more gear question:

How good are the level 50 set items? I have a ton of unbound due to the hero pack, and wondering if it is worth buying some of the ones you see flying around. Trying to decide if it is worth dropping the unbound on the lvl 50 set, or keep it and just wait until I hit 60 to do my skybrush cases for legendaries.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Infinity. The class to harvest tears with.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
Had my IRL friend apply as DahLP. Can vouch for him.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

treizebee posted:

Reminder for those who haven't placed bets yet on the Jianghu games.
The bet only costs 10 bound gold. You get something win or lose. The rewards are really good, so do it.

The table is split top half-bottom half.
My cheat sheet for best bets :

SupX (my bet) - One of the best Shaolins in our server. Can land every acupuncture. Dude's really aggressive though, which is risky in the initial single elimination games.

Chunkychen - Also one of the best Shaolins, and one of the 3 goons drawn. Known to kill everyone anywhere. Still can't use 3D mode. :arghfist::butt:

Reithien - The best Splendor in the game. Extremely good at the ridiculous combo. Counterpoint : He's a splendor...That only gets you so far.

HiC - The SnM formerly known as Prince Best Goon Fighter. Known to 3-0 teams in KoF. However, is in the toughest quarter and table half. Tends to die to Martial Wutangs.

YouLose - A Martial Wutang. Plays like he knows what you are going to do before you do. Hasn't been around for a while and might even be afk during the tournament...

Dele rounds up the third goon present, but will have to face Reithien in the next round. So GL!
I wouldn't put any stake in Clare. Never impressed me, and doesn't have time to fight in Arenas due to all the level farming.

The games' standout players were luckily drawn in separate quarter, so any bet on those players is a decent chance of getting to the semis.

Starts in 4 days.

I may or may not be mad about getting skipped over during the draw.

Hmm interesting. Any rationale on why Splendors are so weak? I know currently in TW it seems the Wutang and Shaolin are running rampart in tournaments, mostly due to their tankiness and insta self heals.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Haroshia posted:

So a bit of the shine is coming off the game for me, unfortunately. The grind is more heinous than I thought, and after the event last night and seeing how gems are blowing up on Lash, I can see the p2w at the end of the tunnel. I find the arenas very fun, and like the idea of being in a tournament, but that can only carry things so far. Add to that my fiance bitching me out last night about gaming too much, and I've decided I'm going to take a brief break. I may come back if when I think about it the game seems worth coming back to, but for now feel free to demote me down to member and give somebody else Wushu goon leadership.

I kind of agree. The leveling grind is extremely high, and this game seems not so much "skill based" as I had hoped. Arena definitely is yes, but confining that to just a small portion of the game doesn't seem to lend itself "skill based" when the entire end game is p2w. I'm starting to question how much more time I want to spend in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Liberatore posted:

The 'p2w' argument is coming from a position of poor understanding about things we haven't even seen yet. Haro was freaking out over lost arts being p2w when none of us has seen one yet and what the Chinese boards say about them doesn't indicate they are that powerful.

What we do know about the game is that in the Chinese servers, gear is cheap and easy to obtain. Most people stop at level 60 set gear because of its price and availability, which makes it easy to get good rolls on. Good rolled level 60 set gear at that level is better than average level 80+ legendaries.

The gem thing. Now that's a different matter entirely. Yes, gems are insanely powerful. Yes, someone who spends hundreds or thousands of dollars to get level 5/6 gems will indeed be ahead of everyone else for a while. But there are some facts to consider:

• Already are level 3 gems not too difficult to obtain.
  • In the Chinese servers, level 4 gems are considered the most cost effective, and so the ones most commonly used. Level 5 gems are considered the 'last step', and level 6 gems are practically never used. Level 6 gems provide a 7% boost over level 5 gems. Some Chinese players actively complain that they can't buy power through level 6 gems when everyone has 4s and 5s in their gear, but c'est la vie.
  • Again in the Chinese servers, one level 4 gem is a few gold. I've seen Amethyst IVs, one of the best Harmony gems, for as low as 5G. I saw someone advertising Thorn Coral IVs for 7.5G. Sadly, as most ads are for RMT, I can't be certain of these numbers.
  • Gems are the most 'permanent' form of gear in the game. They do not bind (unless you chose to), they can be safely extracted from gear, and from level 2 and on they are not worth vendoring or destroying. It's absolutely inevitable that gems are going to continually drop in price. And each gem you purchase can be considered a long term investment; The gear you have may eventually be replaced, but that gem certainly won't.

That's interesting to know. Reading the Bahamut TW forums seemed to have indicated that people's biggest complaints were the p2w gems, but perhaps it was being blown out of proportion.

• Locked thread