Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That's one hell of a way to end a stage:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Road furniture is a calculable risk, although the GC riders are making it harder for the sprint trains by insisting in sitting up front so as to not risk losing time.
Force manuremajure isn't.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

paperwind posted:

Love to see climate change loving up our bike races.
The Alps, like any area with that kind of mountainous terrain, have a long history of warm summers and flash rain showers causing landslides throughout recorded history.
Which isn't to say that anthropic climate change isn't happening, because it definitely is - just that this is hardly proof that's going to convince people who're lying to themselves and everyone else by denying the scientific consensus.

It would be awesome to see the GC riders fight it out on the road to Champs-Élysées and on it. -Problem is, that's actually less likely to happen if they completely cancel the results of todays stage, because as far as I remember the classifications, the gaps yesterday were bigger than they are today, and todays stage was arguably worse for Alaphilippe than tomorrows stage.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Rojkir posted:

:siren: Tomorroows stage halved to 60km :siren:

There goes Kruiswijks tour.
So that means the stage starts at Mâcot?

EDIT: Quote is not edit, sorry for the double-post.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wait, when did Bernal look down at the power meter during his attack?
I think someone must've been watching the wrong feed.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Xabi posted:

Bernal rocks but the whole stage should have neutralised yesterday. When no one knows there the finish line is, it’s not a proper race. I guess there aren’t no good solutions in a situation like this, but that would have been the least bad IMO.
I don't know that they do, but if they use dGPS for the trackers every driver has to drive with, they can measure the accuracy to within 22cm per 100km from the broadcast site.
As to whether its least bad, I'll have to repeat what I said yesterday: It's worse for the close fight that we want them to have if they completely cancel the results of yesterdays stage, because as far as I remember the classifications, the gaps on the day before yesterday were bigger than they are yesterday, and yesterdays stage was arguably worse for Alaphilippe than todays stage because todays climb suits him more.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Gonna need a MTB:
https://twitter.com/DienVdB/status/1155072459546214400

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm so glad that Danish TV2 broadcasts Tour de France, as they only break for news at 1500 or 1600 on weekdays.

Also, I've been looking at it - and if I read the points and right, Bernal might win the yellow yersey, the white jersey and the polka dot if he is first or second on Val Thorens, and if Bardet comes 8th or lower?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Lol if valverde cost landa a podium by taking those bonus seconds
Well if Landa didn't want that, then he should've ridden harder. :colbert:

serious gaylord posted:

GC guys rode to just kill Alaphilipe and for that they will burn in hell.
Jumbo visma did this entirely on their own.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Seeing a rider of Bernal's natural ability win this one in such anticlimactic circumstances is like seeing a billionaire win $100 on a scratch ticket. I'd like to see what he can actually do for an exciting win, but chances are they'll just skytrain him for the next five years.
Or maybe he dug too deep yesterday in trying to get as much time as possible, and didn't quite get enough sugar or water during the stage, so he lost his max power - when you've above 2km height and three weeks into a grand tour, it doesn't take much to miss out on having max power for a stage.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Rockybar posted:

Egan Bernal is incredible and the deserved winner
Not that I hope anything at all happens to him, but he still has to complete tomrrows stage.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

They're absolutely belting the start of this stage.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

oystertoadfish posted:

coverage of this stage in the US doesn't even start for two hours
Danish TV2 are pretty good for cycling coverage, as they tend to show every single bit of live-coverage they get.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

good to see five nations represented, Switzerland, Netherlands, Italy, Denmark and Mitchelton-Scott
Four.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ran out of sugar.

TobinHatesYou posted:

This is Trentin’s race now.
Come on, Mads Pedersen! :denmark:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Attack from a minute down? Yeah, nah.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Swift not living up to his name.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

HOLY poo poo MADS!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:denmark:!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Danish commentators are lost for words.
First time ever that a Dane has won the World Championship.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Holy poo poo, he won with several bike lengths. Absolutely beat Trentin to within an inch of his life.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Two danes in the top 10, too. Would've been free if Fuglesang had actually put in a bit of effort.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Oh my god, Rolf Sørensen (who some may recall from two decades ago, and is now very involved with the new generation of riders) is crying on air. :kimchi:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Also, I didn't even realize that Mads was one of the first to break away from the Peloton. So he's been in a breakaway for basically 5+ hours?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Smirr posted:

You know who did finish last? Matthieu van der Poel. 10:52 down in 41st place
Note to bike riders: Eat sugar.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Grimson posted:

Amalie Dideriksen wants a word.

Yeah, my apologies to Amalie, I inexcusably forgot about her in the heat of the moment. She won it just as impressively, and she's as good a rider as Mads is.

Specifically I was thinking about all the bronze and silver medals the men have won, but you're right - Amalie is amazing for having won.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I do wonder if the fact that Mads is used to ride in rainy and windy weather helped today? Because Denmark has a lot of rain and wind.
Although it has to be said that after almost 7 hours, it's mostly about who has anything at all left.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Trentin won the European title in similar conditions, think he would have won it if his legs hadn't blown (or maybe if he had launched just a bit later, I still think 200m was early on that finish)
Yeah, it's just about who has it at the very last bit - it's a real marathon of a race.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wasn't it Valgren who kept up the pace just before Pedersen attacked from the Peloton? Great team effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

EDIT: Nevermind.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 5, 2020