Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
David Millar is out of the Garmin squad, this tour is going to end up with hardly any British riders in it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Can anyone else not get the stream on the official site to work? Where are you guys watching?

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Paddyb posted:

I had to use Hola

Good shout, thank you.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
That was a really fun race

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Xir posted:

Hahaha, Kiryienka totally fails to hold his line. That's amazing. I agree that Kadri would have been okay if he'd been looking up, but I pin that one on Sky. Schleck withdrew after that crash, so he's done. You'd think there'd be some sort of penalty for that kind of error, since it looks like negligence.

It's not a sprint finish, there is no obligation on riders to 'hold their line'. I think you're going a bit far saying this is negligence, Kiryenka is on the front of the bunch and he swings off assuming that since he is at the front of the bunch everyone will see him moving and get out of the way. Kadri has his head down and doesn't see. It's an accident, that kind of swing-off-the-front move happens hundreds of times in any given bike race.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I think this is the most attention the Tour of Andalusia has never received.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Fun video from the Tour of Oman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSv9WKOyHCA&t=32s

You can hear inner tubes exploding and then hear Eddy Merckx exploding while Tommeke and Spartacus look at him like the crazy great uncle who has made a scene at a family gathering.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
L'Equipe is reporting that the UCI has asked for Astana's racing license to be withdrawn, based on the report from the independent audit of the team they commissioned at the beginning of the year.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Box Hill Strangler posted:

Astana will go 'lol yeah, nah' and UCI will go 'welp we tried :shrug: ' and life will go on.

The Equipe article suggests that this is how Astana thought it was going to go down, and then the audit team started making serious requests for information and Astana commenced to making GBS threads their pants and trying to stonewall.

http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/the-uci-requests-withdrawal-astana-pro-team-licence/

quote:

In addition, the Italian authorities have provided the UCI with the sections of the Padova investigation which it has been authorized to share. As some evidence concerns Astana Pro Team members, the file has been passed to the Licence Commission as part of this referral.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Cav's post-race interview a little interesting, he said that Wilfried Peeters (Etixx-QuickStep Directeur Sportif) didn't believe he could make it to the finish unless it was a group of 200 riders, he almost made it sound like he had to talk the boys in to riding for him once they were out on the road.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Gibbo posted:

Well, is Cav out of his off season BurgerKing mode yet? Didn't he repeatedly poo poo the bed early season last year? I can see the loaded QS team just being like "pfft ride for yourself tubbo"

Nah he's had a much better start to this year, he already had four wins going in to today. In another post-race interview he said that Boonen was on his side in the pre-race meeting and wanted to ride for Cav rather than his own chances.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
At a women's race in the Netherlands yesterday a spectator reached over the barriers and deliberately crashed a rider 10 meters from the finish line.

http://www.rtvdrenthe.nl/nieuws/video-toeschouwer-veroorzaakt-val-bij-eindsprint-drentse-8-van-westerveld

She broke her collarbone.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Oleg Tinkov has fired Bjarne Riis as director of Tinkoff-Saxo, citing the team's poor performance. The disappointment of missing out on the podium at Milan - San Remo was presumably the last straw.

COINCIDENTALLY the long-awaited Danish Anti-Doping Agency report is expected to be released next week.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Can we just take this moment to laugh at Tinkoff Saxo and Team Sky for letting 3 breakaway riders win stage 1 with a 2 and a half minute gap of the Volta a Catalunya. One of said riders was Pierre Roland who will not get dropped that easily on the mountains.

Froome tweeted that the peloton wasn't being given accurate time gaps, Catalunya has been a pretty disorganized event in the past so it seems plausible. Hopefully it makes for interesting racing in the rest of the stages.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Oleg Tinkov is going to send Sagan to race in Siberia for the rest of his contract if he doesn't win a classic soon.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Poor dude almost never gets the chance to lead in one-day races, he used to be working for Flecha and Stannard and now he's working for Swift and Wiggo. On top of that he has the most frequently mis-spelled name in the peloton, which is impressive given all the Keukeleires and Debusscheres and Txurrukas going about. I swear the first time he rode Le Tour the graphics got his first name and last name the wrong way round.

All of which is a rather long-winded way of pointing out that it's Geraint, not Gerriant;

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Xabi posted:

Why would they be allowed a Continental one if they are all full of EPO?

The irony here is that with a continental license they will be subject to a far less stringent testing process by the UCI.

Here's my prediction: Bjarne Riis does what he always does and gets some Danish businessmen to pony up money for him to run another team. He picks up the World Tour license vacated by Astana, and as many riders from that squad as are able to break their contracts. Vincenzo Nibali rides the Tour de France for Team Bjarne's Eagles.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Gilbert is riding the Tour of the Basque Country, not Flanders.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
His actual hearing isn't until May 7, this was just the announcement that the state prosecutor is recommending a hefty fine and a two-year ban. The case against GVA is supposedly not very strong so this may not come to anything.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
The Astana thing is a loving joke. We are already back to 'protecting the image of the sport' instead of actually trying to get rid of the cheats.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I presume they didn't cut away because they knew he was alright? I was watching live pictures from Italian TV when Wouter Weylandt died and they only showed him for a half-second or so before they realized what was going on and changed the shot.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Gibbo posted:

Or he was just a Belgian and there were Italians doing more important work up at the front.

Did you watch that stage? The commentators could barely speak and the post-race show was an hour of people crying. Maybe the situation today wasn't handled as delicately as it might have been but Rai Sport isn't some heartlessly partisan broadcaster.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I hope Porte, Aru and Contador go at it like that on every climb in this Giro.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

250km stage with a destabilised shoulder joint sounds like a party.

If he can't stand up on the pedals then he is in real trouble

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

To be fair, aside from the length of the stage he shouldn't have any real problems since its pretty flat.

I imagine Astana will attack until he climbs off though.

There are no major climbs yeah, but I am fairly sure that Astana and Sky will drill it up the two lumps at the end of the stage just to see if Bertie can handle the heat.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Tinkoff bought that team for the same reason he is complaining loudly and publicly about Sagan's contract right now: he likes to see his name in the media.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Wow that's kinda hosed up. I guess it's the letter of the law and all but I can't see the Giro race jury handing down that kind of penalty to an Italian rider.

Porte has to attack now, he can't make all of this up in the ITT unless Contador's shoulder prevents him using aero bars.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

goatface posted:

I can understand them waving it when there's a general clusterfuck happening.

How happy are Clarke's team going to be with him?

I doubt Orica will care at all, Clarke wasn't riding for GC anyway and teams always pick up a handful of those 100-200 franc fines for peeing near spectators or sticky bottle handoffs from the team car.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
https://twitter.com/GianniMeersman/status/597829780256460800

Gianni Meersman posted:

I crashed in the final downhill because of a puncture. Had to wait for 10min to get another front wheel. Thx @TeamSky for the help #fairplay

Just one example (of many I am sure) of how rarely this rule is enforced. I wonder which team 'reported' the infraction?

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

Maybe Astana has been burning it too hard the first half of the race.

I think their plan was to smash the first week and try to get Aru ahead on the early mountain finishes, doesn't seem to have worked out for them. I won't be surprised if he fades in the final week and doesn't make the podium.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Porte gave up 28 minutes today.

I only watched the end of the stage on youtube, I assumed Porte had DNSed and was already in Tiede getting ready to tow Froome up mountains in July.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Contador says gently caress your selfie stick

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

i wonder if Contador is trying to pad his advantage ahead of the big mountain days ahead so he can just sit in.

Since the time trial he has had enough advantage to sit in every day and still win this Giro, which is more or less what I expected him to do since he's riding the Tour as well. Today was a lot of fun to watch but I think it was a bit rash of Contador to spend an hour and a half riding hard just to put another minute in to guys who are already well beaten.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Weather is not helping him, there is a high pressure zone in London. I think he'll get the record but won't make it to 55km.

This has to be one of the roughest gigs for a commentator, almost nothing to talk about until the final 5 minutes. Dude on the UCI stream is basically reading Wiggo's Wikipedia page at this point.

Jamsque fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 7, 2015

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
He's more than a minute ahead of Dowsett's pace at halfway.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
He's starting to feel it, he's gone above the red line in the straights a few times now. Unless he speeds up towards the end he's not going to make it to 55km.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
He's actually slowing down right now, might drop down to 54.5

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Production couldn't even stop the clock at one hour? Come on guys.

Wiggo smashed the record but I don't think he put it out of reach. If Tony Martin decides to go for this and gets better luck with the air pressure then I think he could go faster.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I don't think Cancellara is going to go for it, I recall that he went to do some track testing at one point in the offseason but he hasn't mentioned it since then so I'm guessing the numbers weren't right.

54.526km is Wiggo's official distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Withnail posted:

Not a lot of respect for TJVG from the announcers today, even after he beat Froome.

Don't know whose coverage you were watching but the guy Eurosport has doing play-by-play for this race is the. loving. Worst. At least Ligget and Sherwen have senility as en excuse, this guy is just terrible.