Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Oh man Cav.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Couldn't pay a whole lot of attention here at work.

C/D: Froome slammed before he even rode a pave sector.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Nibbles is on a different level this year. Wow.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Chenghiz posted:

Definitely wouldn't disagree here.

I think it would be neat if they had a Merckx style hour record with a very standardized bike, and then a more 'bike+rider' record in line with what Voight did where you can have a TT-style frame and aero bars and sponsors can talk up their bike design cred.

They tried that. Called it the "athletes hour" or some such. Pretty much Boardman and that gangly eastern block dude were the only ones to do anything memorable. Boardman beat Merckx by something like 10 meters and the Slovakian gangle was doped to the gills. Everyone else stayed away.

Even so, I'm pretty sure Boardman used clipless pedals with shoe covers, an aero cover on his helmet and bladed spokes. The technology creep is inevitable, and other than locking a bike (or a size run of bikes) up like the top gear liana, you're kind of S.O.L. if you're looking for a fair fight.

glyph fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 22, 2014

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

African AIDS cum posted:

Froome... futilely flicking his elbow

Glad someone else saw that. I chuckled.

Cue video from 2013 of Irish (?) peloton members mocking froomey because he couldn't grasp why they weren't going to help him on a break.

"Gee, I wonder Froomey..."

glyph fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 7, 2015

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Xir posted:

I wonder if Nibali will try to hold on as close as possible and then descend like a crazy person to try and get back on.

Mountaintop finish, hombre.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Did we just watch Thomas die? Neck first into a telephone pole? Yeah, youre not shrugging that one off.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

willemw posted:

He's back on the bike

You sure? That shot wasn't two sky guys. It was poehls and a movistar rider.

Vv ah, gotcha, just heard paul bring it up.

glyph fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 20, 2015

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Can't be mad about Cav in yellow. Finally.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Holy loving LOL.

That's better than when the [OPQS?] bus was stuck on the finish line.

E: OGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1C6SMjRUXA

glyph fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 8, 2016

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

I didn't think Froomey had this in him. It's weird to see him do anything but stare at his SRM.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

wide stance posted:

Anyone else notice Quintana grabbing a water bottle at the top, presumably to gain weight for the descent? Ideally it'd be filled with lead.

This is the dumbest post I've ever seen.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Because, I dunno, maybe you might be legitimately thirsty after clearing a cat 1 climb? They're kind of a big deal.

And because he chucked it as soon as he saw Froomey didn't sit up.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Froome.0 is damned entertaining.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Foomey jogging.

This weird ventoux kinda owns.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

It's going to be fun to see how they unravel this.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Parappa the Dapper posted:

Is TV coverage actually showing the crash? The online feed is completely disconnected from their commentary.

There's a shot of Porte faceplanting into a camera and then a pile up. Froome's bike got run over by a following motorbike, he tried to carry his bike for a little before leaving it leaning on a second motorbike and jogging off ahead.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

peanut- posted:

I feel like Cav is the only athlete in any sport that does genuinely interesting post-race interviews.

He's claimed to have a photographic memory to the point where after the third recon ride he can remember where every pothole is for the last 5km. Hearing his post-race interviews, I have zero reason to doubt him.

The dude's really something special.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

We'll see how the two hilltop finishes and the rolleur TT go, but I'm leaning towards it being a rather good tour with a lot of weird, memorable, poo poo not to mention a GC leader that's earned yellow by taking chances instead of staring at his SRM up HC climbs.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Huh, single ring for a pan flat TT.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

How long did Uran just keep up with the lead pack on a singlespeed? That's a hell of a ride.

E: Holy poo poo, he won the stage on a bike that couldn't shift.

glyph fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 9, 2017

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

^^ eTap is indeed wireless with removable (and interchangeable between FD and RD) batteries.

Skarsnik posted:

Some of the older guys still use mechanical shifting, Contador, Nibali (and Cancellara used to)

Sagan rode mechanical for the classics.

Kittel is a beast. The ad-free aussies spent the last 10 km talking about how hosed he was back in the peloton, then dude gets it together and gaps second place to daylight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Xabi posted:

you'll be wearing the yellow jersey while the rider who's second in the mountains competition will be wearing the polka dot.

See, here's the thing I can't remember how it work, and can't find a quick answer for after a cursory google.

I thought it was the second place rider too, but It can't be the second place rider because the green jersey wearer for stage two was Kiryienka, who came in third in the first stage. Kiryienka is a teammate of Thomas, so maybe it's up to the actual leader to appoint someone? :shrug:

Oh yeah, somewhat related to this- for the last 5 or so years the team leading the team points has been allowed to wear yellow helmets.

glyph fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 11, 2017