Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Problem description: I got a new SSD drive for my computer, and while talking about it one of my friends recommended that I google tweaks to make sure it runs well bringing me to here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1133897/windows-7-ssd-tweaking-guide

As I was going down the list (using it as a data drive) I suddenly found that windows wasn't registering the drive in any of the dialogs I opened, and it didn't show up on My Computer. I could still access it, but the system didn't show anything. So I stopped what I was doing and restarted, hoping for the problem to fix itself. Now the drive is invisible and inaccessible completely, and I'm sure I hosed something up but I have no idea what it was exactly. I think it was step 13 or thereabouts on that page, and my idiot fumblings have been unable to undo what I did.

Attempted fixes: Gone through the various help files of the utilities. Since I stopped in the middle (I didn't format the disk because there's a lot on there I don't want to lose) I'm not sure what exactly caused the problem. Although now, typing it out, I think it was step 13 and not moving on to 14, now the drive wants to be formatted. I sure hope there's a way to fix it without a reformat :saddowns:

CrystalDiskInfo still shows the disk.

Attempting to reformat the disk says "Could not reformat: make sure the disk is write-enabled"

The disk is still physically plugged into the motherboard, problem persists after re-seating cables. (Hail Mary basically)
Attempted to boot to the disk directly via my motherboard's BIOS, still booted to my old drive.

Recent changes: As above

--

Operating system: Windows 7 x64

System specs: Samsung SSD 840EVO 1TB, don't have the rest at hand but I can get it if it's relevant.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Edit: Going through a few more things and assigning it a drive letter, I'm now almost certain that I hosed it up for good and will have to format it for real. Though when I tried earlier it didn't work, I'll wait to see if someone has insight before I resign myself to that horrible fate. :(

Edit2: Reformatted. Nevermind.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The steps you followed erased all data from the drive unrecoverably, you just stopped before you made the drive usable again. This is why it's so critical not to follow "tweak" guides you find on the Internet, they are at best harmlessly stupid, at worst they will damage your data or system.

• Locked thread