Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
There's a lot of misunderstanding how antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications work, too. They don't suddenly make you happy all the time, oblivious to the world's problems. In the west I think one of our core values is "I'd rather be depressed but knowledgeable than happy but ignorant" and so anti-depressants seem like going against that. Anti-depressants don't do that, for a depressed person your brain (whether through biology or socialized thinking) to notice only bad stuff that happens and it grinds you down. You're already not getting a "true" viewpoint of the world, just an incredibly lovely one. Anti-depressants retrain your brain to at least notice when something good happens in your life so you're not so fixated on everything that's awful. It's not like you pop one and instant euphoria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Zephro posted:

What if the reason you're feeling down is legitimately due to circumstances? When I've had mild depression in the past* it's usually been at least partly a result of circumstances, and the depression is a warning that something in my life is not going right. Changing that something usually alleviates the depression.

*I recognise that this is a very different beast from severe depression.

Antidepressants aren't going to erase that. You're correct, depression is a warning sign that somethings wrong in your life and you need to fix it. The problem is when you become so obsessed with the lovely parts that you cannot even imagine it getting better. Optimism is an emotion that drives us to do things because if we didn't believe we had even a remote chance at something, we never would even try.

My point is calling anti depressants "happy pills" is a misnomer because it doesn't make you euphoric even when the world is crashing around you, you wont go "Well I lost my job and my house is being foreclosed, but lets look on the bright side", but you won't be discouraged by every little bump in the road that comes your way, as people with clinical depression do.

• Locked thread