Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I don't think anyone ITT is categorically opposed to the research and development of a treatment or "cure" for autism, although what that treatment would resemble and its application remains an open question.

I'm also not sure the question of who gets to make treatment decisions for autistic individuals is a particularly interesting question- the scenario doesn't seem to raise any issues different from the normal circumstances of individuals with reduced capacity and proxy care decision-making, an area that's pretty well defined legally, at least in the US.

This. I don't think anyone ITT holds this position.

E-Tank certainly appears to be. Though I can't say for certain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

cheese posted:

Also, since anecdotes are apparently an important and valuable source of information on this topic, my uncle's best friend is married with a severely autistic son. They gave up on a number of dreams after their first born had autism, including having more children (didn't think they could handle their son PLUS other children), having grandchildren, ever being able to retire by themselves, career aspirations, trips and a whole host of activities that they will never be able to do with their child (sports, shopping, just loving going to lunch, etc). They love their son but a few years back he had a drunken breakdown at a party we held when my cousin passed the California bar and he admitted he wished they had never had kids and he would have had an abortion if he knew what it would all meant

But lets not CURE this person because we wouldn't want to change the "fundamental essence of who he is".

Same thing happened with my aunt and my cousin. She is his sole caretaker since her marriage collapsed a decade ago (I don't know why so I won't point fingers). He's got a reasonable level of functionality, he can hold down a mcjob, do basic functions but living on his own would be impossible. In 2010 he got on the wrong bus due to a change in route and he sat on the bus for four hours until the driver had to stop and try and sort things out with him. She is utterly terrified about what his life is going to be like when she's gone and has absolutely given up her own life and dreams to try and make him comfortable.

gently caress Autism, and gently caress anyone who thinks that denying treatment would be anything but monstrous.

Caros
May 14, 2008

SedanChair posted:

We already agreed that she has that right. But would it be appropriate to attempt to educate people that it's possible to live as a fulfilled and worthwhile homosexual or transgender human being?

How many homosexuals are you aware of who are incapable of surviving on their own for an extended period of time due to their homosexuality. Not social stigma mind you, but their homosexuality makes it impossible for them to balance a checkbook, or handle a change in bus schedules, or not scream uncontrollably when faced with a stranger.

While not all, or even most cases of autism are this bad, it is also not a non-zero number. I absolutely support education to explain to people that it is possible to live a fulfilled life with autism. It is also possible to be a massive emotional and financial burden with autism, something that differentiates it from homosexuality.

Yes homosexuality was once categorized incorrectly as a mental illness because we are/were bigots. Do you believe that autism is incorrectly categorized as a mental illness, or are you just drawing a bullshit comparison that is at once pretty offensive to members of both groups?

Caros fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 29, 2014

• Locked thread