Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
yeah apparently dealing with things that aren't literal pathogens is complicated. Who knew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
forgive me if I find all this medication can fundamentaly alter your personality talk bullshit. Such fears kept me off of pharmaceuticals for years while i tried to work through adhd and severe depression via talk therapy alone.

that was a terrible, terrible decision. All it did was increase my own self-loathing when i failed to make progress. let me tell you, when you suffer from mental illness your 'personality' is poo poo and i'd say it's an unambiguously good thing to alter it.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Gantolandon posted:

I understood A big flaming stink's post less as a categorical statement that psychotropic drugs can't alter your personality, and more as a warning for the people who want to preserve their "core self" so much that they are going to avoid pharmacological therapy.

while that was implied, its more that during depression(and other mental illness) a core part of your personality is being tremendously unhappy. if it takes undergoing seismic changes in who i am to become a happy person then hell yes i will stuff my gullet full of pills.

for a more extreme example stuff like ECT becomes alot less scary when you realize 'you know what i don't think i would mind forgetting about a good deal of my experiences'

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 8, 2014

• Locked thread