Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uncop
Oct 23, 2010
Speaking as a high-functioning autist with a pretty severely autistic little brother, I don't see why a theoretical cure for autism would be problematic. Autism changes how you process information and the visible damage it causes is a consequence of lacking or faulty learning of how people work. Society teaches social skills by throwing kids in the same room and assuming they learn by osmosis, which is a system that fails autistic kids. Severely autistic children take wrong lessons and neglect important details during the time normal children develop the fastest, misunderstand how the world works and can't wrap their heads around it. Autism is a lot like being born blind or deaf, you lack a sense that others take for granted and view the world differently as a result. I'm not knowledgeable on the subject, but I bet their brains are "wired differently" as well as a result.

How an autistic kid turns out is very dependent on their education as well as their parents' education. I imagine the horror stories about low-functioning autists exist in large part because of countries that don't have affordable special education and therapy services. My little brother was diagnosed soon after birth and has been in special schools since he was 5. Even with all that, he took until 12 or so to grasp language on a level with a normal young schoolchild. With that hurdle cleared, though, the age of unexplainable tantrums was soon over and he started catching up. By 16 he knew enough of both our native tongue and English to start teaching himself stuff he's interested about, and it won't take long before he's indistinguishable from a high-functioning autist who didn't do well in regular education. But without all that intensive help, he wouldn't have made it, not even close.

Thing is, curing autism would be like giving sight to a blind person who only knows of the visual world in a theoretical sense. It wouldn't change them, it'd alter their future development. A young child's personality is so malleable that you can't say it's wrong to set their life on a course that might help them have a normal childhood by curing their autism. An adult autist already has the damage done, they've already formed their worldview based on their lacking information and no cure is going to flip the worldview over or conjure social skills out of nowhere. They'd be themselves, except with a bit more potential for recovery through therapy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread