Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
For what it's worth I actually am a high-functioning autistic person and if there was a cure for autism created, I would absolutely embrace it. Autism is absolutely a disorder and has inarguably negatively affected my quality of life, and if you're not autistic yourself and you're going to spout some indigo-child bullshit about how I'm "just wired differently" I'd strongly prefer that you go gently caress yourself.

e: also the "b-b-b-but it would make them DIFFERENT PEOPLE!!" thing is ridiculous. I'm on Wellbutrin because I also have major depression and PTSD on top of being autistic. When I take my meds, I am still the same person, I'm just capable of doing things other than laying in bed 24/7 and contemplating suicide. I really don't see how a cure for autism would be any different.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

E-Tank posted:

And what if I'm being told by another autistic person that this is what she believes?

SALT CURES HAM posted:

For what it's worth I actually am a high-functioning autistic person and if there was a cure for autism created, I would absolutely embrace it. Autism is absolutely a disorder and has inarguably negatively affected my quality of life, and if you're not autistic yourself and you're going to spout some indigo-child bullshit about how I'm "just wired differently" I'd strongly prefer that you go gently caress yourself.

Reading comprehension is apparently very hard!

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

E-Tank posted:

And so is understanding that I'm putting in another person's opinion. Whatever, fine, go gently caress myself.

I tend to automatically assume that all "other people's opinions" in situations like this are stdh.txt along the lines of "b-b-b-but my black friend said calling Obama an urban feral is okay so clearly I'm not racist!"

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

E-Tank posted:

My friend is autistic, very nice, very sweet, and honestly I trust her over you. Do you suffer from autism? Do you have the experiences she has had? If not then maybe you should not dismiss her so easily.

I'm genuinely not convinced that your friend exists.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

rkajdi posted:

Why? I disagree with her position and find it not to fit with reality, but it's the kind of thing that's commonly held. I see it as a nature cancerous outgrowth of the whole free will/neo-fatalism idea, but that's such a bag of cats to deal with that it's better to not discuss-- even normally rational people become nuts when you confront them with the idea that they aren't sole awesome controllers of their will.

Because frequently when people who are not part of a minority want to speak their own minds on how that minority should be treated, they'll hide behind a made-up "friend" who is that minority and conveniently shares their hosed up, lovely opinion.

Like I said earlier, it's really not hugely different from "my black friend says it's okay if I talk about how urban ferals are ruining America, ergo I'm not racist :smuggo:." The only difference is that it's an issue of ableism rather than racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

SedanChair posted:

In terms of its diagnosis it is in many cases absolutely pretend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTmQWqXdBzM

• Locked thread