Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

duck monster posted:

Indeed. If I wanted to be a hyperfocused rear end in a top hat with too much confidence, I'd do cocaine. Supposedly a lot of fun too.

This comment also kind of unwittingly hits the issue square on the head, in that the "norm" that a cure would ostensibly return individuals with autism to isn't explicitly defined. To an individual sufficiently far along the spectrum, every non-autistic person probably appears like a manic hyper-social narcissist, but the degree to which that's true actually varies quite wildly. Some people are quiet, some people are gregarious, some people are really into their own little hobbies but perfectly sociable etc. Everything seems extreme when it's far removed from what you perceive, but there's a lot more shades of grey than might be apparent.

Where this gets weird if it turns out that autism truly is an entire spectrum ranging from a rough norm to "a little shy" to "lacking cognitive/gross motor skills," sort of like how depression can range from "I have intrusive thoughts" to "I can't get out of bed in the morning and spend my nights staring down a bottle of pills and fifth of vodka," or how bipolar disorder ranges from "mild highs and lows" to "hallucinations." For mild cases, that latter two generally rely on what the individual patient feels is right, so for any cure or drug that could make a dent in autism symptoms, I'd imagine a similar criteria would be used. It's impossible from a modern psychiatric perspective to determine how "normal" someone should be, only that in extreme cases in which someone's life is clearly being negatively affected that steps should be taken. If you can at least generally take care of yourself and aren't miserable, I doubt the existence of a cure would affect you at all.

*edit* Also, as some people have said, personality change isn't equal to death. Anyone here with autism probably came up with coping strategies for certain situations a long time ago, and if you can take a pill that makes it happen quicker or allows to to do so further it's not really different from a systematic approach or just plain avoidance.

*double-edit* EVERYONE is weird about personality changes and views their current state as a fixed self that represents who they truly are, didn't mean to just single out people with autism

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread