Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

e: ^^ what is this thread even about anymore

E-Tank posted:

I do not mean to dismiss them. I'm talking about people who literally had a member of their board say the only reason they did not commit a murder-suicide(6:20) of them and their autistic child is the 'normal child' that they already had. I'm talking about people who seem to believe that autistic children have no loving worth unless they are cured. I'm talking about Autism Speaks in that regard, not caretakers who genuinely care and who genuinely want their loved ones to be happy. I'm sorry that I made it seem like I was dismissing all people's wishes for their children, and themselves, to be able to lead a normal life.
So, from this video where a bunch of people are honest about the difficulties of raising a child with autism and in this specific case a woman who was so distressed and desperate when she found out she couldn't get her daughter in a school with proper care, she briefly considered driving off a bridge - from all this, you take away 'this selfish bitch wants to kill kids with autism' instead of: 'wow, this woman really has seen the difficulties and strain that come with raising a child with autism and is clearly dedicated to helping others in a similar situation so that they never find themselves contemplating a similar thing. otherwise, why would she mention this on camera if not to reach out to parents in similar situations to make it clear that their despair is normal but that they shouldn't give up hope'

R. Mute fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread