Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

How so? My personal view is that a woman should be able to abort for any reason at all. But I still think exploring the possible social and ethical issues of enabling people to choose what their child will be like ahead of time is a pretty interesting line of discussion.

Additionally if someone wants to get an abortion over it, they're not likely to be the kind of person who'd be good to raise the child.

Ytlaya posted:

This discussion is pretty interesting. I think the issue is difficult because both aggressively seeking a cure for autism (if such a thing is even possible) and not doing so are both problematic.

I don't see what's problematic about aggressively seeking a cure.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

All this incredibly stupid bullshit aside, it's kinda hosed up that an autism advocacy group doesn't have any autistic people on its board. They should call themselves an Autistic Parents or Autistic Caretakers advocacy group if they're going to be like that.

It's an advocacy group for severe autism, and people with that are generally incapable of meaningful function on a governing board.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Stottie Kyek posted:

There's a lot of discussion ITT about a hypothetical autism cure that doesn't exist yet, and not a lot about what we can actually do today to mitigate the effects of autism.
I found out from this thread that Autism Speaks's solution to kids having meltdowns or panic attacks is to put weights on them. :wtc: But what about helping to teach kids and adults to manage those panic attacks in the first place?

It's extremely hard to teach thoroughly non-verbal sufferers how to manage panic attacks - and those are the people you actually do hold down (or hug tightly etc, the point is that a firm grasp helps them feel safer).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I see fungified milk is all the rage with the kids these days.

• Locked thread