Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I don't think any of us can say anything about the ethical aspects of curing autism because we don't have a cure and therefore don't know what a cure would involve or what it's effects would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

nutranurse posted:

Dude, we cannot test for homosexuality or transexuality the way we can test for the mental illness that is autism. Being gay/trans =/= having a mental illness (for instance, being autistic). Why are you drawing this terrible comparison? Just to be obtuse or?

He's asking if such a test were developed and parents are given the choice to abort based on criteria like homosexuality or transexuality; how would you feel about that?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

nutranurse posted:

Roughly the same way I would feel if we could test for our kids having magic powers: this is a ridiculous line of questioning and is only being done to derail a conversation.

How so? My personal view is that a woman should be able to abort for any reason at all. But I still think exploring the possible social and ethical issues of enabling people to choose what their child will be like ahead of time is a pretty interesting line of discussion.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Even if allowing sex selective abortion were 100% sure to cause egregious social problems or even complete societal collapse I think it still needs to be allowed because any violation of a woman's right to choose is unacceptable under any and all circumstances.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Obdicut posted:

It's probably a bit old now but I wanted to mention that there's no compelling evidence that Gage changed in his personality in a way consistent with brain damage and not with having had an incredibly traumatic event happen, or the extent that his personality changed, or how long that change lasted.

It's even in the drat Wiki:

Despite this celebrity the body of established fact about Gage and what he was like (before or after his injury) is small, which has allowed "the fitting of almost any theory [desired] to the small number of facts we have"‍ having been cited, over the years, in support of various theories of the brain entirely contradictory to one another. Historically, published accounts (including scientific ones) have almost always severely distorted and exaggerated Gage's behavioral changes, frequently contradicting the known facts.

A report of Gage's physical and mental condition shortly before his death implies that Gage's most serious mental changes were temporary, so that in later life he was far more functional, and socially far better adapted, than in the years immediately after his accident. A social recovery hypothesis suggests that Gage's employment as a stagecoach driver in Chile provided daily structure allowing him to relearn lost social and personal skills.

Gage should not be used to argue for anything. We don't actually know enough about the story.

The main problem with asserting personality change post-brain damage is that brain damage is normally associated with a traumatic event, which we know can change personality.

Any 'cure' for autism, like cures for other forms of mental illness, would come with side effects and it'd have to be a case-by-case analysis about whether those side effects were worth the benefit of the cure. Most of the autistic people I've worked with would have loved a cure because panic attacks and frustration-screaming aren't actually fun, but the likelihood of just a straight-up 'cure' is low.

Anyone who has a problem with a woman aborting a fetus because it has needs that she doesn't think she'll be capable of dealing with is a shitheel.

Traumatic events, or really any event or experience causes changes in the structure and composition of the brain. I think that separating events and direct physical damage when both cause physical changes and when we have so little knowledge of exactly how the brain works is premature.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Obdicut posted:

Whatever. The point is that using Gage to argue for personality change via changes to the brain is dumb. Your personality might change if you got a hand cut off, or it might not. And aside from the many incarnations of the buddha that post here on SA, there's nothing at all wrong with personality change, either. Pretty much everyone wants to change their personality, it's a rare (and usually awful) person who wouldn't like to change some things about themselves.

You are arguing with your own idea of a cure in your head, others are arguing with their own ideas of a cure. Until we have some idea of what a cure would entail or agree on a stand in for such a cure arguments about this unknown cure's moral or ethical implications are pretty pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

forgive me if I find all this medication can fundamentaly alter your personality talk bullshit. Such fears kept me off of pharmaceuticals for years while i tried to work through adhd and severe depression via talk therapy alone.

that was a terrible, terrible decision. All it did was increase my own self-loathing when i failed to make progress. let me tell you, when you suffer from mental illness your 'personality' is poo poo and i'd say it's an unambiguously good thing to alter it.

So duck monster's experiences are bullshit?

Look, I can sympathize with your plight, I suffer from depression myself and I can't even treat it with drugs because I don't have insurance and I can't afford to see a psych or therapist or buy any drugs they might recommend. But I have seen first hand how medications can radically alter a person's personality both for the better and the worse. My father had to go through a ton of different medications before he found a combination that worked for his depression and panic attacks, but one drug they gave him caused him to fly into a rage at the slightest thing and he tried to choke me to death while on it. Luckily he stopped taking it immediately but we had to lock him in his bedroom until it wore off and it was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life.

Just to be clear: I don't have any problems with researching Autism or trying to find cures or treatments, I think that is a great thing. It's just your comment about people having their personality altered by drugs being "bullshit" really bothered me.

• Locked thread