Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So what representation do you want. Do you want a high functioning autistic who wouldn't be the type to want a 'cure' most likely anyway? Do you want an internet aspie who totally is on the spectrum guys one time he arranged his skittles by color just to have a token? Do you want an actual, low functioning, autistic who needs a helper at board meetings to keep him from screaming when people ask him questions?

This isn't like a women's group or a gay group, autism is a mental disability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Aliquid posted:

I got dragged to these events a lot because my ex-wife is a BCBA. Full of really sad, distressed-looking parents dumping thousands on pseudoscience that dominates all the booths at events like Walk for Autism. Magnet healing, chelation, crystals, weird chiropractor machines that only the controller could interpret. My personal favorite were the extremely heavy weight jackets (up to 70 pounds, I think?) meant to exhaust your child when they're having a fit but in reality will just make them extremely fit once puberty begins.

Buff autistics are the future, they'll dominate us if we don't stop them now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Discendo Vox posted:

This. I don't think anyone ITT holds this position.

That was literally a thing someone either here or back in the vaxx thread said, curing is inherently 'killing' because they'd be a new person, it was a literal thing either Tank or one of his supporters said RE curing autism, at least one person ITT holds it, probably more.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

What's interesting is that when this is suggested, posters respond by imagining that a poo poo-flinging retarded person will be selected, and that if they are not then it doesn't matter. If you are "high-functioning," I guess you are just supposed to be quiet and let others continue to advocate that your ilk be removed from the earth.

So to be clear, a woman finds out she is going to have an autistic child, let's not add any extra poo poo like her being single or anything, just an average woman, she gets an abortion because she's not able to handle that in her life right now.

How long do we jail her for this genocide? How exactly long does she and the doctor and let's say the nurse involved too go to jail for this murder, and why only this one and not the one they did before when it was just a woman who didn't want a kid.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
E-Tank same question, ideal world, woman gets an abortion because she can't handle an autistic kid in her life, how long do we jail her for this murder and why do we not jail the woman before her who just wasn't in a good place for a baby right now?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

E-Tank posted:

Because it's her body, it's her choice.

But aren't you against women being able to abort autistic babies? Weren't you one who called it genocide or some other hyperbole?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
My bad I got lost in the hyperbole, you posted your friend saying that a cure was 'genocide', totally more reasonable.

Why is a cure 'genocide' then, do you believe Autism Speaks wants MANDATORY curing, where Known Autistics are forced into doctors' offices to be cured?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

E-Tank posted:

I don't know.

I don't know because I at the beginning of this, thought I had a firm grasp on it, and now Its much more unsure. I do know from the actions Autism Speaks has taken (namely, trying to paint Autism as an always huge burden that will totally destroy your marriage, kill your cat, and ruin your souffle) that yes, they'd probably want it to be mandatory to 'relieve the burden on the caretakers' because that's really what Autism speaks is. It's about the caretakers, and not the autistic people themselves. And don't get me wrong, those caretakers? The ones that actually do care? They're awesome. They rock. They're taking care of someone who needs help, and that's fine. Whats wrong is when it becomes *all* about the caretakers.

All I know is that this sparked a discussion, interesting points were raised, and I moved it to its own topic with information on Autism Speaks available for people to look at, and quoted my friend in what she has seen/experienced/feels.

I am trying to figure out where I should stand on this, and if you want to continue to try and dress me up as a strawman, I'm going to just assume you don't know either and move on.

Suit yourself, I don't care.

Cite one source. Cite one source that gives you reason to think that they want this to be mandatory other than paranoia.

Also, you selfish fucker, those 'caretakers' are loving mothers and fathers and brothers and sisters. These aren't nurses that spend six hours with them, these are people who have spent their loving LIVES with these people suffering from an extreme end of the illness, who the gently caress are you to dismiss their desire for both them and their loved one to live a normal life?

All this invoking autistic people, have you ever worked with the severely autistic? I don't mean hanging out with your friend I mean going through a three week period where you get punched and kicked because you're a different helper than they're used to and that just ruins all the hard work people have done getting them to be level, and feeling like poo poo because a grown man is bawling in horror because someone new didn't know you can't smile to him and talk to him and she made the horrible sin of saying 'hello' as she walked in and now you have to clean this up.

This isn't ABOUT your friend, if your friend is living a normal life she's fine, she doesn't NEED a caretaker and god bless her for it, this is about the people that do, and maybe wanting them to live a life where they don't piss themselves every couple days.

You're legitimately the worst person in this thread, I want to be clear. Sedan and Jackal and poo poo are arguing in the abstract but you're hiding behind 'well my autistic friend said...' like a coward while you insult a group of people who have legitimately gone through a very hard time who want people to understand that autism is an illness that hurts more than the person it's in. You are, in the spiritual sense, a terrible human being.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

E-Tank posted:

I do not mean to dismiss them. I'm talking about people who literally had a member of their board say the only reason they did not commit a murder-suicide(6:20) of them and their autistic child is the 'normal child' that they already had. I'm talking about people who seem to believe that autistic children have no loving worth unless they are cured. I'm talking about Autism Speaks in that regard, not caretakers who genuinely care and who genuinely want their loved ones to be happy. I'm sorry that I made it seem like I was dismissing all people's wishes for their children, and themselves, to be able to lead a normal life.

How do you have such a lack of empathy that you don't understand that person wasn't telling that story as some loving bragging rights thing, but rather as a horrible, shameful, example of the devastation the illness caused them? Why do you not understand that the point is that they want a world where those hosed up thoughts don't exist because they can be fixed?

edit: To be clear in a Narcotics Anonymous support group when someone says, say, I stole my mother's ring because I wanted drugs, they're not saying 'so we should all go rob our moms and get SUPER HIGH GUYS WHOOO' they're sharing a horrible part of their life so they can move on from it.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 29, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

E-Tank posted:

I don't know. It just didn't occur to me. The idea of her saying the only thing that kept her from committing suicide and murdering her child was the normal child. It struck me and got me outraged and I just...didn't think about any other possibilities. I'm in the wrong, I understand that now. I'm sorry.

I'm sorry I got lovely in those last few posts that wasn't cool, this kinda poo poo comes up a decent bit in assorted stupid online communities and it just kinda always feels like the same. Thank you for listening.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

Holy canoli git over yourselves. Quit it with the hair-trigger sensitivity to suggestions that the ethics of abortion might, in some cases, be complicated. Every mother, in every single instance, has the right to an abortion, and no one else on earth has the right to interfere. OK?

Now, having said that. Does it in any way disquiet you that parents might someday selectively abort homosexual or transgender fetuses? Just think about the question all by itself, don't worry about your answer making it onto a pro-life pamphlet or something, because it's not going to. Would it be OK if transgender or homosexual people were screened out and vanished from the earth?

Nah because that isn't a thing that's remotely the same so I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it. Crazy I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

He's asking if such a test were developed and parents are given the choice to abort based on criteria like homosexuality or transexuality; how would you feel about that?

Same as our ability to test for unicorn farts and fairy queefs, I imagine.

• Locked thread