Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I've been clinically placed on the high-functioning end of the autism spectrum and, frankly, the idea of a cure really creeps me out? I'm fine with curing the low-functioning end of the spectrum but it's all such a slippery slope. My autism largely manifests as my being stubborn (my dad always told me that my autism was visible whenever I disagreed with him) and intense (I just really enjoy life too much? I've never been stoned but from what I'm aware of the experience I basically feel like I'm stoned 24/7, it's awesome) and I hate the idea of society trying to dull me. Furthermore, I'm worried that the more prevalent an optional cure for my condition becomes, the more social pressure I'll experience to take that option. So, gently caress Autism Speaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I'm not really concerned about "becoming an actual different person" or some p-zombie psychobabble like that. I'm concerned because the brain is intricate enough that modifying it necessarily has side effects. Social skills are important, obviously, but they're not the skill-set I possess that's most important for my career. If the hypothetical autism cure improves my social skills, but in turn damages the skills I have that I'm currently very happy with, then it would not be worth it at all to me. It'd be like if a blind composer could cure his blindness, but risk losing his musical talent. Furthermore, the science of the brain is complicated enough that I don't trust the doctors in charge of such an experimental cure to accurately know whether there's a risk of such a thing - and I personally suspect it'd be inevitable, as autism is a complicated, poorly-understood condition that tends to correspond with other mental conditions, ranging from other disorders to positive conditions such as giftedness.

• Locked thread