Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I just learned to live with it. I would never take a cure at this point in my life. The problem I had when I was younger was that my mother did everything in her power to hide that I had it.

She would change doctors whenever one implied autism because "nothing was wrong with her daughter"

It got me into trouble when I started working due to my innate stubbornness and lost my job once because of it.

It was when I was being treated for an injury that the doctors requested my medical history. Which was something that I personally had to request from the national archives. When I received my medical history papers I started reading through them just out of curiosity, and I found hundreds of pages of doctors notes from over a dozen doctors who noted "abnormalities" that suggested the autism spectrum.

My mother worked for social services so she knew her way around the bureaucracy. Neither doctors nor teachers could do anything.

I didn't get properly diagnosed until I was 28 but that made an enormous difference in my life because it meant I could start looking for the signs in my social behaviour and to compensate for them.

That just because something doesn't feel wrong to say doesn't mean it's the right thing to say. To try and judge every single situation from an empirical standpoint. To weigh in peoples experiences and not to automatically question everything.

My mother died when I was 20 and I would have loved to confront her about it but I won't be able to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread