Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.
Huh. My seven year old is HFA, and I take anti-depressants, so maybe that's a unique perspective from which to discuss autism 'cures'.

I take zoloft because I am literally non-functional without it. I can't do basic things like go to the store, put gas in the car, pay bills, clean the house. Normal, everyday behaviors are basically impossible for me. With zoloft, I'm still not *happy*, but I have the energy to be a normal human.

My kid is deeply weird, but basically functional. There are areas where he can't take care of himself, and we have to help him with those, but we also have seen him become more independent and better able to communicate and engage in basic self-care over the last few years.

I wouldn't want to change who he is, but there are two caveats to that:

* The comparison with antidepressants, if we accept it as congruent to what a hypothetical autism cure would do, means that I'd sign my kid up for that in a second. If it did to him what zoloft does to me, there's almost no down-side.

* Right now he's a weird but functional human, which limits my interest in miracle cures, in any case. If he were to become non-functional to the degree that I am when I'm not medicated, I'd totally want to get him some kind of medication, regardless of whether it 'changed' his personality.

It helps that he's one of those disturbingly smart HFA kids; it makes me more comfortable with imagining his life as an adult, knowing that he's likely to have people who want to help him manage his life issues. If he were not HFA, or not as smart as he is, I'd probably be more interested in advocacy for a cure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread