Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

SedanChair posted:

In plenty of cases, sure, though in the past those same people might have been diagnosed with mental retardation. Maybe they should never have been moved out of that category.

But how oddly specific we are in our definition of "disorder." Which is more debilitating, to flap your arms and hop in place while playing video games or to lack all capacity for analysis or introspection and fail to recognize the danger in Rick Santorum's eyes? To have a detailed interest in trains or to fear people based on their race?

One of those issues is due to a congenital neurological disorder, the other is due to social pressures and brainwashing from right-wing media sources. You're right, completely comparable situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

SedanChair posted:

My entire point is that they are not comparable, one is much more severe, debilitating and harmful to society. However we overlook it because we are dumb and fear "sickness," like you.

I have no idea what you mean by fearing SCARE QUOTES SICKNESS, and randomly assuming my motivations from a short post seems a bit ambitious. I'm not even sure what argument you're trying to make, do you think that being stupid or brainwashed should be treated as an illness? Or are you saying that Autism isn't an illness because it's not sufficiently damaging to larger society?

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Spangly A posted:

It's a disease and if you offered to fix it I'd snap your hand off.

This is such a bizarre opinion that I don't understand how you can hold it without collapsing from the contradiction inherent in that statement. If you really considered it a disease you would kiss someone offering to fix it.

• Locked thread