Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This discussion is pretty interesting. I think the issue is difficult because both aggressively seeking a cure for autism (if such a thing is even possible) and not doing so are both problematic. I would argue that not seeking a cure is far more problematic than the alternative, but both definitely present problems. Even though I believe that we should absolutely seek a cure, I can understand why some of the more high-functioning autistic people may be bothered/offended (and I don't mean this lightly) by the fact that many people are putting so much effort towards not being like them.

Regarding the "should mothers be able to choose whether their child is male/female/gay/whatever" question (which is somewhat relevant, though not directly comparable) - I think that I would rather the mother have the choice. It's difficult to argue since "what if this wipes out homosexuals" and "what if it disrupts the male/female ratio" are reasonable concerns, but the idea of either not allowing available prenatal testing or denying a woman's right to an abortion bothers me more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

I don't see what's problematic about aggressively seeking a cure.

Oh, I absolutely support seeking a cure and think it's a good thing. I'm just saying that I can understand why someone who is autistic and happy about it (for whatever reason) might be bothered by a bunch of people thinking that some aspect of their personality should be fixed/removed. Even if I think a cure should be researched regardless, I'm not going to tell people they shouldn't be bothered by it.

• Locked thread