Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

SedanChair posted:

Do you know how autism therapy works? Yeah they don't stop being autistic, but in many cases they learn to live with it.

And speaking to gullibility and racism, what is NPR LiberalismTM if not a series of coping strategies for intaking news media with a ritual pantomime of incredulity while preserving at-best paternalistic beliefs simultaneous with a public face of gentile egalitarianism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Just to be clear, the universal consensus is that addiction is a chronic condition that can't be cured. It's also generally understood more as having a caustic than a shifting effect on the sense of self or individual personality- Addicted people are permanently impaired in their abilities to think and feel in relation to the associated substance. The best you can get is a sort of remission state, where the individual still requires self-monitoring and ideally monitoring by a social support network. I don't think this causes any problems for your rhetorical questions, I just want to suggest a degree of caution in the analogy, and provide some grounding info on addiction in case it continues to be used in the thread as a comparison point for attitudes regarding the self and autism spectrum disorders.

Its not universal consensus about addiction at all. Which is another, much more profound point that jibes with whatever else you wrote just fine. Or perhaps thats the joke and I'm the guy who makes it D&D friendly by removing all possible misinterpretable subtext? Hey! Speaking of that;

Spangly A posted:

Hello I was diagnosed with autism late (age 4) and now no longer am "flagged" when retested for curiositys sake. The early schizophrenic symptoms play into that but hey, even autism has fluidity with other mental disorders.

As someone involved in research and having lived with the condition and worked with advocacy groups, it's a loving disease. We are not "wired in a different way" and I want to punch every stupid arsehole that says this in the throat. Current science points towards an early life sensory overload due to an inability to process information correctly that leaves you permanently mentally damaged. I learnt, as a teenager, how to read people and compensate, and got a social life. Learning how to do this meant that afterwards I kept working at these skills, and am now extremely sociable, outgoing, and have no autism-related issues. I do still have to actively read expressions and I will never do it automatically in my life, and getting drunk essentially shuts down all my forced social skill.

It's a disease and if you offered to fix it I'd snap your hand off.

"Their brains are wired differently", say researchers who haven't noticed the last 20 years of neurological study nor heard of "neuroplasticity".

So the autistic brain is not "wired differently" its just a thing where as long as you approach what's normally subtextual learning as a deliberative act and don't spill the wrong chemicals on it after its fixed, it works just like a normal one as long as you have the right shade of problem where we don't actually know what it is. OKay. Okay.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 28, 2014

• Locked thread