Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think aborting a fetus with non-lethal developmental disorders is fine, just as aborting an unwanted healthy fetus is fine. Bringing another human being into the world is morally fraught enough without knowing that person is likely to experience extraordinary suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

LeJackal posted:

The question devolves into where we draw the line on 'extraordinary suffering' and 'quality of life' as the result of a 'genetic defect'. Something like Tay-Sachs that has a 100% mortality rate within ten years of horrific pain is an easy choice, but where does autism fall? Its a spectrum disorder, not binary, so there are many different degrees. Those falling on the moderate to high functioning end can lead self-sufficient, fulfilling lives and contribute much to the happiness of others and the advancement of society; conversely those on the low-functioning end are often sadly long-suffering.

I, personally, am a high-functioning autist and though sometimes I get a bit depressed like anyone else I do not think my life has been negative on the whole.

You have the luxury of hindsight. A pregnant woman doesn't.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Welp some mildly afflicted people are "creeped out", better give up on a cure.

• Locked thread