Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gravel Gravy posted:

Finally we'll get to the bottom of the dreaded S gang !

Holy poo poo that gang was everywhere when I was in middle school! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Christ, they came that close to making Bunk into a martyr.

The Wire, for all the eye opening it for a lot white people, was a very pro-cop show* and killing Wendell Pierce could've had a major negative impact on fans of the show's views of the police. I'm really glad he didn't die though.

*Real gangsters thought the show was broadly accurate apart from its portrayal of the police being far too positive: http://freakonomics.com/2008/01/09/what-do-real-thugs-think-of-the-wire/

This article reeks of horseshit, honestly.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Trabisnikof posted:

Freakonomics is full of bullshit you say? Well, I never!

Well, I mean it sounds like something that was made up wholesale based on the author's perceptions of 'thug' culture and a few nuggets he might have gleaned from watching scared straight a few times.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
In 20 years the only people in this country with benefits, pensions, unions, et al might actually be cops. Good for them, I can't wait to be staring fifty in the face and nodding along happily as our hero cops are the only people left with any semblance of worker's rights.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shachi posted:

Yeah all that looking the other way I've been doing...

Your assumption is that I'm personally ignoring all the "bad apples" in my agency?

Well to be fair we pretty much have to assume that unless the police union has run you out of town and relegated you to the graveyard shift or whatever.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shachi posted:

Unions are absolutely one of the worst things in LE and I might put them on the top of the list of things to be reformed. I don't work for an agency that allows unions and purposely so. Unions in police work are an old hat and largely northern thing.

If it helps any, the NYPD is about the biggest embarrassment in LE circles second only to the LAPD.

So you would contend that 'the thin blue line' ceases to exist outside of Dept's with unions? I mean, clearly they're a huge problem but it doesn't take a union to make life miserable for someone who takes a stand.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
#notallpoliceunions :qq:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dum Cumpster posted:

http://reason.com/blog/2015/01/08/watch-montana-officer-in-his-second-exon

Obviously a biased source but something seems wrong with his policy and training if he can put himself in a situation where he fears for his life and then shoot anyone who moves the wrong way. Read the updates because the original story makes it sound slightly worse than it is.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/loc...72d4bb1b61.html

video where he killed another guy, sounds exactly the same. Makes me think he really shouldn't be in stressful situations like this again.

:psyduck: I'M GOING TO SHOOT YOU! I'M GOING TO loving SHOOT YOU! Policing in America, ladies and gentlemen.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cole posted:

He uh... He was calling it in. So of course he's going to say that. It's pretty standard even in the most by the book cases.

And he exuded all the professionalism of Bill Paxton's character from Aliens, too.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cole posted:

Given the situation, worrying about his potty mouth is kind of stupid. Cops who do get into legitimate shootings have a lot worse language over the radio and probably sound a lot less professional in a vacuum. It's really not that big of a deal.

Yeah, sure, I was worried about his potty mouth and not the fact that he was amped up and ready to execute someone at the slightest movement on his motion tracker.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

A HOT TOPIC posted:

Yeah, it's not like he was a known criminal with a past involving drugs and weapons, and also wanted for shooting someone the night before. Being concerned about his lack of compliance and digging in his pants is clearly an overreaction when dealing with someone known to carry a gun. He was obviously reaching for a D&D Lollipop.

Immediately shrieking obscenities at someone seems like a good way to ensure that they will respect your authority and comply with your clear instructions.

I don't really care if this is 'fairly standard' because that would appear to be the problem.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kazak_Hstan posted:

There was no reason for the officer to be right up there at the door like that. He apparently stopped the car because he suspected someone in the car (the guy he wound up shooting) was involved in a shooting earlier. That's a textbook felony stop situation.

In a felony stop you don't just run up to the car with the scary dangerous person in it and wave your gun around and start cussing. If the person is actually as dangerous as you think they are, that's a great way to get shot in the face. You a) make the stop in a place of your choose, b) have more than one officer / car at the stop, or at least hold them in the car until more arrive, and c) give commands from a position of cover, ordering them out of the car and back to the officers at a position of disadvantage. In addition to putting the suspect at a position of disadvantage, if you do wind up in situation where you have to shoot him, you are less likely to be shooting directly into a car with other occupants, as this officer did. Whether the suspect was a threat or not, the officer is still responsible for the rounds he fired, and the other people in the car did nothing to warrant being shot.

You do it that way precisely because you have more control, and don't wind up in an ambiguous situation with four people in a car two feet away from you with no reaction gap. I don't fault the officer for being nervous that the guy was refusing commands and putting his hands in places that he could get a weapon, and I am ultimately unsure whether it was a justified shooting because I can't clearly see what the guy was actually doing when the officer shot him and I have not seen anywhere whether there was actually a weapon.

However, I fault the officer for horrible, over-aggressive tactics. This poo poo is drilled over and over. You put a suspect at a position of disadvantage, you don't just run headlong into a confrontation without a plan. That is true both from the perspective of officer safety, and from the perspective of not creating situations where use of force is more likely.

At least, that's how I learned it at the law enforcement academy I graduated from.

Thank you. Sure, the shooting may have been "justified" but the cop is the one who made the situation into what it was. He is a reckless, aggressive prick who has now killed at least two people who might have been apprehended without violence by a better application of police tactics and a cooler head. Dude should not be a cop, period.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

A HOT TOPIC posted:

Says the guy who couldn't hack it as a cop, but feels like saying "that time I went to a police academy" gives him the right and justification to comment on police tactics with some bit of vague authority on the subject. Protip for your future armchairing in the real world: it does not.

Says a guy who watches a video where a cop clearly out of his element frantically screams obscenities at a suspect before murdering them in a situation entirely of his own making and is like, "yeah, pretty good police procedure, totes a good shoot, nothing to see here folks."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

bango skank posted:

Are you confused over what video we're talking about? Go back and watch it, he doesn't swear or escalate until he realizes who hes talking to.

Just to be clear, these are pretty much my feelings about how cops should handle themselves. If a cop needs to get into a fistfight with a guy in order to take him in, they should be capable of doing so without having to go for their gun from the bat.

I feel like the cop probably thought he was going to catch some stupid kid trying to stash a joint or some weed, but once he realized who he was talking to he knew he put himself in a bad situation. The article says no weapon was found in the car so I don't know why the guy kept putting his hands down, but when faced with someone wanted in connection with a shooting and they are behaving like that I don't think it's unreasonable to think they might be going for a weapon.

You've interpreted things wildly different than me because even the "you're making me nervous" comment sounded unprofessional and weirdly confrontational. This guy sucks.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I for one am shocked that there are posters in GiP might possibly have a problem recognizing and empathizing with rape victims. Absolutely shocked. http://www.usccr.gov/pubs/09242013_Statutory_Enforcement_Report_Sexual_Assault_in_the_Military.pdf

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Cop stuff:

Here's a rising star cop in Baltimore that reported police brutality and was run off the force for it:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/ex-baltimore-labeled-rat-police-brutality-claim-article-1.2077632

Here's cool, fun footage of the police rolling up to a crowd of celebrating college kids who are in the street and indiscriminately dousing them with pepper-spray and tear-gassing them (in full camo military gear) to get them to leave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDHuQ8pylmA

JFC cops are literally the worst people. There's no bad apples on police forces, only a few good apples that get turned or run of the job.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's a good thing that Wal-Mart shopper was seen by an unarmed citizen and not a cop, because if he'd been spotted by a cop he'd be dead and they'd be smearing him in the media.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well if they hadn't shot him several times he might have used his brute strength to murder each of them with a single rock powered blow. Clearly a justified escalation and use of force.

Cops are loving pussies.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SedanChair posted:

I thought all you had to do was ring a cowbell at the bus stop in front of the Tacoma Mall.

Holy poo poo. :roflolmao:

Alternatively: ring a cowbell anywhere local high school girls congregate. Pretty sure JBLM dudes love the 16 age of consent in WA State.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Pointing out that military dudes prey on high school girls = you're the REAL sexist!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cole posted:

no one said high school girls

he said we pray on fat girls

e: oh i didnt see that other post

i never met any mil dudes who prayed on high school girls though, so it's a pretty flat joke.

Preyed, not prayed. So I guess you haven't spent much time in base towns or with military guys huh?

e: yes the joke is you're a GIP regular so if you've never seen soldiers preying on underage girls you're full of poo poo. Or blind, but I think they would have caught that at meps.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm sure it was more common in the halcyon days of America's patriot boner following 9/11 but go to any given bowling alley within 40 miles of a base and you can find motards sleazing it up for their high school girlfriends. But continue to be completely flabbergasted by the suggestion that enlisted military personnel might have weird issues with women. No studies to that effect floating around out there or anything.

• Locked thread