Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Cops actively made my old neighborhood in the Bronx more dangerous. While not an ideal solution, no cops is better than the current situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Are there any practical steps that can be done to reduce police funding?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Police are just the rich white man's gang. I get that the low level bangers on the street are just trying to get by while maintaining their rep. We need to work on educational outreach to help people avoid joining that gang in the first place and, if they are in the life, we need programs to help them get out of it. The police are well entrenched in our society, but I believe we can eliminate them so everyone in every community can enjoy a better life.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
This thread seems to be taking cops as prima facie good. While I am sure that is "very serious" I still don't think that case has been made. For those talking about how dangerous it is to be a cop or how violence against police is forgiven, this is a rather critical question.

Why should I want cops in my neighborhood?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

paragon1 posted:

Better to have a gang with guns that answer to appointed judges and elected officials than gang with guns that don't?

Not in my experience.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Why are cops even armed? I get having a SWAT team for when things get crazy but why do regular cops need a firearm? Disarming them seems like it would be a big step in the right direction. There are plenty of problems with non-lethal methods and ideally cops shouldn't have those either, but that isn't gonna happen. I'd much rather the violent white power gang power-tripping in my neighborhood could gently caress people up (but not kill them) as opposed to loving people up and killing them. Plus, a living victim is a lot more empowered to press civil charges than a dead victim. How do we go about disarming cops?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
That line of reasoning doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I mean, unless you think guns are just a cultural artifact. If that is the case, would you be cool with them having guns but no bullets and bringing your own bullets would be a federal crime?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm all for gun control, but that isn't the world we live in. So why not follow in Heuy's footsteps? It did work the first time and (temporarily) curb police violence. As an added bonus for gun control nuts like me, it also led to some very stringent gun control laws. Win-win. I looked into representing my second amendment rights at some protests in Oakland. I learned I don't have any second amendment rights, at least not any that count. The rest of the country should follow in our footsteps.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'd be cool with that. gently caress the police.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Where in the Bronx? Hopefully, people in Tremont are restoring order and letting the cops know they should be somewhere else.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

We should do that and call them Special Action. Goons can get behind the SA, right?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The basic problem I have is that I don't see a meaningful way to work with the police. What would a group like that do besides legitimize police oppression?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
By forming a group dedicated to upholding justice and self-defense? Also, provide free school lunches.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

SedanChair posted:

The Followers of the Apocalypse?

Right idea, wrong superhero:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
That's basically it. Unions are good. Cops are bad. Cop unions aren't bad because they are unions, they are bad because they are cops.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Depends on what you mean by "society". If you mean "the elites in coalition with white racists" then sure. But from where I'm sitting, I wouldn't conflate that coalition with "society".

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ayn rand hand job posted:

You can choose to worship. Religion is protected. Choice isn't the sole factor in making the decision of protected classes.

Freedom of choice vs freedom of conscience. What they are trying to do is argue that "being a cop" is a matter of conscience, not choice. Given how evil and hilariously corrupt cops are that is going to be a . . . tough argument.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I never tried to "hack it" as a "cop." I'm a law enforcement officer for a federal land management agency. I somehow manage to routinely deal with armed people without screaming "I am gonna shoot you" or making GBS threads my pants and blowing away a 12 year old. My time at the academy, which was predominantly staffed by city cops, was more than enough direct exposure to "cop life" for me.

I like you, and this basically describes why I don't like cops. Cops have the authority of the Law behind them, if they can't talk their way out of a situation then they ain't worth much. Reaching for the gun is a hardcore small man move and most cops are some seriously small men. Basically, anybody who feels they need a gun, shouldn't be a cop.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
You've hit the nail on the head!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I coordinate with local groups that are able to protect me from cops and rogue criminals on their turf. Unlike the police, they've never given me any trouble and when I've lost things they've actually gotten then back for me.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Only difference between them and the cops is that they are actually helpful.

Edit: and they work out of a lovely Chinese restaurant or equivalent instead of the basement of a respectable institution.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
See, it's all the same gig. Cops are gangsters and gangsters protect the neighborhood. I'll go with the local boys every time.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Some YG kids got me back my wallet more than any cop has ever done for me. Protected.me too, when the cops cracked down on corner kids is the only time someone who wasn't a cop physically assaulted me.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Being a dude makes that less of a concern for me, but my wife is a social worker who deals with rape survivors and the cops ain't no picnic. It isn't perfect, but I'd trust local talent over cops. Granted, neither can do much.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Grey Fox posted:

I hate paying two parties for the same service, though.

That's why I'm all for the elimination of the police. Plus, gangbangers are a lot less threatening. If I have a beef with a gangbanger, that doesn't show up on my record for the sake of employment. If I have a beef with a cop, it could. I've been lucky with the DA but that is never a guarantee.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Vahakyla posted:

Guys. Never listen to doctors talk about their patients in the break room.

Doctors have a much lower rate of thrill-kills per capita.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
So, I've asked this before and people have given the always fantastic ultra-rightwing response of "Go back to France" but, I'll ask again. What purpose do cops serve? Why should I tolerate their existence?

I get that, like the military, they benefit the rich and powerful, so I get why cops exist. Unlike the military, cops occupy the places I live. Why shouldn't they be treated like a hostile, occupying force?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
That's a lot of theory and not much practice.

If a stranger is robbing or killing me, that stranger is more likely to have a badge than not. Hell, rape trauma centers train their workers to protect survivors from cops! So, even in situations where the cop is ostensibly innocent, they are still more likely a source of harm than help.

I'm not asking why cops exist originally or in theory. I'm asking why I should tolerate cops. I'm asking what good they actually serve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ActusRhesus posted:

Have you ever lived in a high crime area?

Yes, several.

Have you?

If cops are actually good, it should be relatively easy to change my mind. All I see are powertripping scumbags. So much so, that I feel substantially more comfortable working with local gangs. I'm white. The local gangs I've worked with have been hispanic (Dominican and Puerto Rican, specifically).

I get the corner kids and when things have gone south, I've known the right people to talk to. Worst case scenario, I'm out maybe $20 and the hassle of calling my credit card companies.

When things go south with cops, it gets more complicated. I can show up the next day at work with a black eye. I can't show up the next day if I'm in a jail cell for bullshit purposes or got out of a jail cell at 3AM and show up looking like poo poo because the cops picked me up. And hey, the DA has been good to me, but if I ever get poo poo on my record then that makes future employment really difficult. Again, gang members can't do that to me.

You say "citation needed", what citation can I give? Most of this poo poo isn't reported so there aren't going to be statistics.

I just experience cops being assholes so I trust local authority more. If cops were the good guys and gangs were the bad guys, I really should be able to sense that. I don't.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 2, 2015

• Locked thread