Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

KernelSlanders posted:

My point was the other officers on the scene are never going to arrest a fellow on-duty officer as was the case here. The other two cops at the scene were placed on paid leave and the trigger man turned himself in (and presumably posted bail within minutes) some time later after the DA charged files.

What I said, that you'll never see a uniformed officer in handcuffs for something he did on duty, is not contradicted by your example.

Sheriff Al Cannon, Charleston County, SC, after slapping a suspect, was placed under arrest by his own deputies, right on the scene.

He was booked to the jail carrying his own name and the department's own investigation, of which Cannon is the Sheriff of, requested State Law Enforcement Division to make another investigation, which led to another arrest.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20120828/PC16/120829206

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

In this example, the Sheriff is still in office and never went to trial.

Because for a misdemeanor assault, a poo poo ton of people get diversion if the conditions are filled. He filled the conditions, and got it.

Plus, Cannon should be in office. He is well liked and actually, really, cares for the people here, riding on his free time with a K9 looking for long disappeared people, going through old paperwork and investigations.

He also hooks up with old criminals, helping them get jobs and made a pretty progressive (southern standards) half way house for the jail, allowing people to go visit home, go to work and such if they behave well.

He also has backlogged arrest warrant in an effort to not harass poor communities and he refused to go on a wild goose chase after two high profile white victim murders, citing the fact that the poorer neighborhoods had more unsolves crimes and demanded more manpower.

He has a good support among the poor in the unfortunate areas.

Needless to say, poo poo could be way worse with some tea party sheriff.

He should get a second chance. He is a net benefit for the State and punishing him more harshy for a misdemeanor assault, harsher than the average citizen would be in the current sentencing guidelines, would be a retarded move. Maybe it would satisfy your bloodlust, though.

Even with your loaded question, you had to move the goalposts.

The loving sheriff himself was both cuffed and received same penalty as joe down the street. And you scream foul.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 23, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M8iLnIMOYE

State Police Officer arrested by other cops. He does identify as cop.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M8iLnIMOYE

State Police Officer arrested by other cops. He does identify as cop.

I hope you did not miss the part where he cried "excessive force" after tripping over his own feet while trying to bolt. After chokeholding a dude. And resisting arrest.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

I hope you did not miss the part where "It was only after his arrest that police found out Vernier is a cop." (http://krqe.com/2014/05/02/nmsp-officer-arrested-after-assaulting-repo-man/)

Hmm, I was under the impression that he did identify himself. Are you sure that does not mean immediately after effecting the arrest?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Confusing accuracy with firearms is separate from the skill of entry and room clearing and armed combat, just to be clear.

Even if cops shoot lovely, the basic tacticsl things are drilled pretty okay and that cohesion is not present at a hunting club, even if they are accurate against paper targets.

It is absolutely ludicrous concept that the skill of marksmanship has something to do with a firefight. Spoiler alert: a lot of assault or mech infantry shoot worse than logistics troops.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 3, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

SedanChair posted:

There's just a lot of noise and holes in the walls.

Yes, you are now at the basic and first step of infantry combat and the use of effective suppressing fire. Next up, proper flanking.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

SedanChair posted:

So are you backing away from your statement that marksmanship has "nothing to do" with a firefight?

Okay fine, very little.

It was to this: "Anyway I think while well-organized cells of people would probably be very effective against most cops (given their terrible proficiency with firearms and being accustomed to most people cowering in the face of authority/force)," and the continuation of the common topic of how police and military are bad shots and thus the rascal rebellion will succeed due to the fact that "Billy Bob shoots better than any cop in the range".

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Not talking about anything fancy, but simple unit movement and small unit tactics are taught in every academy whose curriculum I've seen.

It's like a week or two of entry, situational awareness, room clearing, point defence and that's it. Basically the same poo poo that one learns on a boot camp in the military to somewhat effectively move together through a given area. It's nothing SF level or anything like that, but surely more than rascal warriors or people who served a long time ago.

Those basics are gone through usually in the field when serving warrants into residences or when looking for a perp in a tight environment.

Pretty simple stuff, nothing that anyone can't learn in two weeks and with a teacher.
Yet, definitely not something that comes naturally or is the same as shooting paper in the range from a still position.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Ever watch a no-knock video? These idiots don't know basic tactics like not muzzle sweeping each other or firing blindly into dark rooms. I -wish- cops got half the trigger time and ROE enforcement your average infantry grunt gets in OSUT.

Here, go watch this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP0f00_JMak

Basically, you're full of poo poo, as seems to be the trend from you on any topic remotely connected to guns or police.

Liquid Communism posted:

Ever watch a no-knock video? These idiots don't know basic tactics like not muzzle sweeping each other or firing blindly into dark rooms. I -wish- cops got half the trigger time and ROE enforcement your average infantry grunt gets in OSUT.

Here, go watch this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP0f00_JMak

Basically, you're full of poo poo, as seems to be the trend from you on any topic remotely connected to guns or police.

So the average police academy student is not more effective in basic concepts, along with his fellow students, than a regular joe from the street? What point of "fairly simple" stuff did you not get? You are now an expert because you saw a video where someone muzzlesweeped?

Cool. How do you think a video of average gun owners clearing a room or doing entry goes?

The police academies are shorter than Bct and AIT combined, and they are not dedicated to combat skills more than maybe 20 percent of the time.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 3, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Average gun owners aren't (theoretically) trained professionals who are, given their membership in a SWAT team, supposed to do entry and room clearance as one of their main job functions. Expecting a SWAT team to be able to handle the job they're trained, equipped, and funded specifically to do in a manner that does not resemble a Keystone Kops skit is a pretty low bar to clear, and yet they can't manage even that.

Well I mean, they are if they are planning to fight against cops in the Obama revolution. Which was the topic.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I'd say there is a pretty decent case for saying that there should be no "no knock raids" at all.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Hence why somekind of announce-and-hold requirement would be cool for serving warrants, requiring for example a full minute before entry.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

SedanChair posted:

But they'll flush the evidence! Throw a flashbang in the window to stun them and keep them from going into flush mode!

A thing actually that I have heard from a bunch of people where "the cost is a couple of lives and wrong addresses here and there, but the important part is that they don't get to flush the drugs. So an even trade".

Not much I can say to that.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Well and apparently the violent thugs will plan a counter-attack.

Nevermind that it does not actually happen but confused citizens do fire in self defence.

Giving people a minute or two to think about if they actually want to engage in a firefight with the cops outside pretty much just leads to the boring result.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Lol phone

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Because county sheriff and city police are local agencies, governed from the same level they exist in. So, a city or a county. They can do what they want, basically. Forcing a state wide rule on how to force their use of funds would be a considerable effort and a no-starter politically. poo poo sucks.

Desert Snow and Black Asphalt, among similar systems and training, are explicitly forbidden in loads of places though. I am also fairly hopeful they won't survive legal challenges.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 8, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Desert Snow is the name of the training program for "aggressive" interdiction, as they say.
Black Asphalt is supposed to be used on the road as kind of "instant info bulletin".

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Like mentioned, they are doing poo poo that is really grey, and these systems and similar, there are some others, are prohibited in a lot of places and even more so, just not used in even more.

They are fairly small companies with a pretty low userbase. They claim 25,000, but eh. And if they are litigated against, we'll see how it goes.

Rumor has it they also lied about being law enforcement officers when they took part in that "joint op" in Oklahoma. So yeah, great going for them.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 9, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/oklahoma-trooper-jailed-on-sex-assault-complaints

quote:

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The Oklahoma Highway Patrol arrested a state trooper Monday on complaints of kidnapping, rape and other crimes after three women alleged the officer sexually assaulted them while he was on duty.

Trooper Eric Roberts, 42, was arrested at his home in Sapulpa and taken to the Creek County jail. He was released Monday afternoon after posting $66,000 bail.

An internal investigation into Roberts began after a woman called the patrol on July 23 and reported that Roberts raped her after pulling over her vehicle, said Col. Rick Adams, chief of the Highway Patrol.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Wait, what weapon is used to deliver CS, Stinger and smoke grenades if not a grenade launcher?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Non-lethal and less-lethal munitions are fired from the exact same grenace launchers as explosive ones, just like less lethal shotguns are the same as normal ones.

I think in this case the name is what riled people, not their use.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
On-duty officers kill another on-duty officer in a domestic dispute.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2014/09/st_john_parish_deputy_kills_an.html

quote:

Sheriff's deputies shot and killed a fellow deputy who opened fire on them Wednesday while they were investigating a domestic dispute at his daughter's house in LaPlace, authorities said. Neighbors and a relatives identified the dead officer as Lt. Nolan Anderson, a 25-year veteran of the St. John the Baptist Parish Sheriff's Office.

Anderson, in uniform and on duty, and his wife, Lisa, were at their daughter's house on Pine Street near Capt. G. Bourgeois Street when Anderson called the Sheriff's Office on his radio. The nature of their dispute was not released, but Sheriff Mike Tregre said, "The deputy made statements that let us know how serious the situation was."

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

quote:

SC Code
SECTION 16-3-29. Attempted murder.

A person who, with intent to kill, attempts to kill another person with malice aforethought, either expressed or implied, commits the offense of attempted murder.

He is being charged, so that is a pretty good thing. The assault and battery also might stick much better.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

He stopped the guy to murder the gently caress out of him though :confused:

I'm sure and the jury will be sure, too.

If he did, why'd he stop firing before the dude was dead?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

I understand what you're saying now... but idk it just seems way too shady to me the way he told him to get his license and then FREAKS OUT AND STARTS FIRING

It seems to be sheer incompetence, twitchiness, some racism and hefty amount of retardation instead of malice.
Like said, he starts getting progressively worse in his mental state after the shooting when he is talking to the man and he fired really poorly from that distance.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
He also had some history of citing laws that do not exist in arrests or fumbling up DUI checks and poo poo like that.
Once again, not justifying his actions, but it does seem like the dude was a just a twitchy goober and not some cold blooded killer with malice. He just seems like to be a dude that can't handle stress at all nor is he very fit for learning.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It's not the Columbia PD though if you'd read the article.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Applies to most people anywhere.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
http://www.ted.com/conversations/5813/why_don_t_people_look_into_eac.html

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Yeah it sucks. I just pointed out that there seems to be no real answer to the cause, but people do avoid it in other professions and interactions, too.

drat PC police!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Firing a weapon is not the intent to kill necessarily and neither is it even established that he fired the first shot on purpose.

Pre-meditated act of killing is kinda big thing and is certainly not all homicided no matter how outraged you are.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I'm not arguing in the legal sense, in which you are correct.
We were responding to a person saying that the trooper pulled the dude over intending to shoot him.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
No one doubts that.

Still, it is really unlikely the trooper pulled the man over to kill him. Which was the argument.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

quote:

SC Code
SECTION 16-3-29. Attempted murder.

A person who, with intent to kill, attempts to kill another person with malice aforethought, either expressed or implied, commits the offense of attempted murder.

I don't think an officer pulling a firearm will be enough grounds for malice aforethought, but I am not a lawyer.

This still ignores that the argument was that the trooper did not plan to kill when pulling the man over.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 29, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2014/october/agent-exposes-civil-rights-crimes-in-alabama-prison

FBI Investigating civil rights abuses in Alabama Prison.
"An investigator from Alabama’s State Bureau of Investigation thought the stories didn’t add up and called the FBI, which investigates cases of abuse of authority—or color of law—and other civil rights violations."

The target of the FBI investigation, Lt. Michael Smith, 38, of Auburn was convicted of violating Mack's constitutional rights by fatally beating him, conspiracy and obstruction of justice. He faces up to life in prison.
"Two other former officers at the Ventress Correctional Facility in Clayton — Scottie Glenn and Matthew Davidson — have pleaded guilty and are awaiting sentencing. Another former officer, Joseph Sanders, is scheduled for trial"

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ex-supervisor-found-guilty-ala-inmate-death

And later, "MONTGOMERY, Alabama (AP) — A former prison supervisor received a 30-year sentence Monday and three former guards got lesser sentences for their roles in the fatal beating of an inmate or the cover-up that followed."

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 17, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

He's gonna be real famous at whatever prison they send him to. I'm very happy this is happening to him.

I'm not sure if retaliation violence is the most reasonable police reform, though. No one should be afraid in a prison. You are happy that the same thing is going to happen to him that he did to others. Of which you are mad about.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 17, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So, the fear of violence will make our society better, just as it made it in the antiquity, the medieval times and just like black people learned to be proper?
So not only is 30 years in prison enough, but we have to beat him?

Yes. I'm sure that if people will just face serious violence, they will cease to be violent. You loving psychopath.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

Great job missing the point and bringing up random strawmen. I'm saying that if police got treated the way police treat everyone else, the police might realize they shouldn't treat everyone like poo poo.

Hence why we should bully school bullies. And why we beat violent kids. And steal from thieves.

Whatever the abusive cops are, do you want to be like them? Is modeling yourself after those you despise a good way?

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

Rapists aren't authority figures. Police live in a bubble about how the criminal justice system serves, that bubble directly impacts the way they enforce this justice system on the general public.

The fact that a cop knows he can kill someone, unjustified, and be 90% sure of never getting charged with murder and if he's charged he'll get a reduced plea deal or maybe beat the charge in court. The fact that if I placed someone in a chokehold I would get a worse punishment than if a police officer does it, undoubtably influences the use of force.

Why do you think giving police special treatment would make the police less abusive?

So special treatment TYOOL 2014 In loving America is to have the right to "be not severely beaten while under custody"?

• Locked thread