Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Huragok posted:

Coming from Australia where the Police are States-based (with a smaller Federal police), how did the current structure of policing come about in the U.S. where there are State, County and Municipal policing bodies?

In many parts of the U.S. there are laws that require certain types of jurisdictions to have or provide for law enforcement services based on population, incorporated jurisdiction type, or services required. Also, just about all state constitutions require subordinate counties to have a local sheriff's office. The original "county police" was the Sheriff. This has changed over the years where many places now allow for County Police, etc.

Untagged fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

This is a lie.

Actually its not. But quick, run and pull out the "most dangerous jobs in America" list and confirm Fisherman are still #1 to make yourself feel correct. Then just forget fisherman don't routinely respond to aggravated calls, deal with armed suspects, are assaulted while working, or potentially even shot and killed while eating lunch simply "for being a fisherman". More goes in to what makes a job "dangerous" for a worker than simply running the statistics at the end of the year and seeing how things shake out. But most people know this.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

wixard posted:

I agree, I'm just saying in my case that paraphernalia charge was entirely at the discretion of the cop (I don't know anyone else who's gotten a paraphernalia charge for a baggy without also getting busted with scales and distribution quantities), and it hosed me over pretty hard.

Yet, you hold the cop responsible when in reality it all could have been avoided in the first place:

wixard posted:

I was dumb and had a tiny bag of weed in my pocket

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Everblight posted:

Right, and don't wear clothes like that if you don't want to be raped. It's just common sense!

Except, you know, the fact that you are comparing someone who knowingly commits a criminal misdemeanor to that of a sexual assault victim. Whatever makes you feel better.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

SedanChair posted:

What I take from this is two possibilities:

1) You are a member of the department involved

2) Officers from the department involved are inappropriately divulging information about this case, but only on police forums

Which is it?

Or neither? Law Enforcement agencies (and officers) routinely share information with one another directly. Just because you've been told by another officer or through other official means doesn't make it "inappropriate" for you to be aware of certain information about a case. That also doesn't include agencies and officers who know of or who have dealt with certain suspects from other jurisdictions and have knowledge of their history, etc. Officers regularly interact with neighboring jurisdictions with information sharing, and sometimes it's not a surprise when they hear about someone being arrested in the next jurisdiction over.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

The Oxford, Merrian Webster, Macmillan, and every other major dictionary of record doesn't agree with this thread's definition of Civilian. So while your talking about things we can "verify", I think you can let the cops are or are not "civilians" thing rest. But keep raging about semantics guys if it makes you feel better.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

StabbinHobo posted:

I can't believe no mention in this thread of the jersey city cop killer shrine

This incident is quite obviously a false flag conspiracy by the pro law enforcement media. Everyone knows being a police officer isn't dangerous and no one should ever think cops are at risk of being ambushed and murdered while responding to calls. Obviously the issues here are that 1. Walgreens Pharmacies need to be easier to rob and 2. Police unions shouldn't expect the public to not openly memorialize a cop killer, such actions by the community should never give an impression of establishing an "us vs. them" mentality. This won't change until system as a whole is rebooted. If only drugs were legalized, etc.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

meat sweats posted:

He probably had to go sit at the bottom of a hill somewhere to meet his ticket quota for the week.

It must be hard to be a traffic cop in the mid-west where there are no hills. :ohdear:. I guess there is always that spot where it goes from 55 to 45 right?

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

paragon1 posted:

Does anyone know of any elected officials with a defense attorney background for that matter?

A ton. Several members of congress with active law practice in their past were defense attorneys or dabbled in it at one point or another. Local politics might change the narrative a bit.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Cuntpunch posted:

Resisting Arrest is a bullshit law that should be stricken from the books.

Tell us about that time you were charged with resisting arrest, Cuntpunch.

This union discussion is pretty moot for a lot of the U.S. since a significant amount of police officers work in non-union and anti-collective bargaining states or jurisdictions. And the notion that officers have "powerful associations" that replace unions in those cases is patently false since they have zero power as far as the employer is concerned in employee decisions.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

It's pretty clear from the articles the cop involved in the wreck is different from the cop who charged the other driver with DUI. Also they work for completely different agencies.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

ColdReaches posted:

If you don't have a gopro camera, get one, if you are ever pulled over in your car etc.

The first words out of your mouth around these people? "Am I being arrested". If they say no you are free to leave.

So all you have to do is immediately ask "Am I being arrested" to a cop who pulls you over for speeding and you get to drive away no questions asked? Its like you never have to actually get a drivers license, insurance, or even tags on your car. Just say the magic words. Why haven't a read this somewhere before. Feel like this would be big news.

ColdReaches posted:

I don't like cops, that's a given, but i know the law better then them. That's telling.

Oh, never mind.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Kilty Monroe posted:

"Am I being detained or am I free to go?" is the better phrasing. Make them verbally acknowledge that you are being allowed to leave.

This advice comes from http://www.flexyourrights.org/, IANAL, etc.

If your being pulled over then the answer would already be "yes your being detained" and the question would invariably be moot. At that point you would be wasting time of both the officer and yourself by not just having your required information ready to go. Then, once a ticket or a warning has been issued...

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

You can say "I know the law" all you want, but the likelihood of you being up on not only state laws but also county, city, town, or special district laws for any place you may visit is pretty small. You may think you've done nothing wrong, but it turns out you've crossed in to a new jurisdiction. Your best option is to be polite and comply with instructions and if you feel wronged consult with an attorney later.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

"It's a FELONY to run my tag without reaosnable suspicion of a crime!" :smugdog:

You'd think if this guy is going to go through the whole effort for the sake of a 'this is why I'm legally smarter than the cops' video, he'd at least get that part right. But no it's not a felony and reasonable suspicion is not required to run a license. Hey, gently caress the police right this video makes for good entertainment.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Kitfox88 posted:

That's what I get for being too quick on the posting trigger. Thank god nobody'll take my posting badge. :shobon:

I'm sorry, your going to be fired and your probably going to forums jail now. Oh well.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

I'm sure Mr. and Mrs. Nightly Drunken Domestic are going to be thrilled they, their house, their kids, their IDs and Social Security Numbers, and their problems will be uploaded unedited nightly to YouTube.

But hey the first time the 30 year old son who lives in parents basement, is off his adhd meds, and smoking weed again against parents wishes call is put up for all to see D&D gonna throw a fit. Popcorn ready.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

You didn't read that article did you? It's ok. I'll paraphrase: It takes too many hours to review each and every tape for each instance of private information. So either the requests need to be amended or they have to give out that information. That or take years to complete just the one request at considerable expense. Also lol at the request of having it all directly uploaded to YouTube.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Oh the other thread got closed. Here comes the nonsense. :ohdear:.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I made the mistake of bringing this up in the Mike Brown thread, but it's probably a better topic here - wouldn't we see better outcomes by creating a degree of separation between police and firearms by keeping guns in a locked space, like a center console or car trunk? I understand the arguments against generally disarming police in a country like the United States, but even adding a basic step between a cop and his ability to use deadly force seems like it would discourage escalation at the drop of a hat by requiring some explicit decisions to bring a situation to that point. At the same time, the risk of suspects going for officers' firearms should basically disappear since they wouldn't even be accessible in the first place unless there was a reason to use deadly force.

Not going to happen in an America where so many people carry and possess firearms, and cops continue to be ambushed and/or routinely confronted by armed subjects not only on traffic stops and "routine" calls, but also simply while eating a mid shift meal too. You can never really plan ahead for firearm need, especially when you might need it within a split seconds notice.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If one additional officer getting shot is the price for two or three or ten members of the general public not getting shot because they were reaching for a wallet, who wouldn't prefer that outcome?

Probably the dead officer? Your nuts if you think the world is how you see it.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Edit. Nevermind, not worth it. Since I assume A HOT TOPIC is, in fact, trolling.

Untagged fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 6, 2014

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

ChairMaster posted:

Man what the gently caress are you even talking about? Yea, it'd be nice if all countries were like Norway where they give a poo poo about people and help them out so that they don't end up homeless and wander around loving people's poo poo up for no reason, but they're not. In the real world if you can't stop yourself from trespassing on vandalising and stealing other people's property then you should be taken away by the cops, because there's nobody else who's gonna do it.

I'm sure you understand how stupid it is to say that any given persons personal property and safety don't actually matter if there's a drug addict or mentally ill person around, so I can only assume this is some kind of fakepost or something.

D&D sometimes forgets, especially in the context of threads discussing criminal justice topics, that there are routinely other people party to a given situation that also have rights. Like a property owner to not have a trespasser, or a store owner to not have shoplifter, or even someone walking down a sidewalk during a protest just trying to get from point A to point B being allowed to pass unobstructed. It shouldn't take mental gymnastics to see the other side of a situation like that, but for some folks it does.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

ActusRhesus posted:

well, those are the cases I deal in....so since your comment was directed at me personally, and the glee I feel in "breaking up families" it's not inappropriate.

So it's the kids fault for not saying "no", just like it's the homeowner's fault for having such nice things. Don't you get it? Every criminal is a special little flower and that requires you to let them keep breaking the law and having all of lifes comforts while denying their victims the same rights. Think that's what they've settled on. I mean how can you refute that Gen Ed Sociology 101 logic. Time to move on to drug talk again oh wait.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Elotana posted:

I have an idle question: are there any sources, anywhere, that report on Eric Garner's convictions?

There are plenty of sources repeating the number of 30 arrests sourced to the WSJ. But I can't find anything about how many of those resulted in convictions, and while it's not a key distinction to me, if that number is, say, zero, it might lend him a lot more sympathy from the "hur dur hur don't resist arrest" crowd.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/12/03/actual-facts-Eric-Garner

http://www.silive.com/northshore/index.ssf/2014/07/eric_garner_who_died_in_police.html

Couple of articles with various links to information. Although from what it appears New York has removed his name from results of court records.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Say no... Say no... Say no... :popcorn:.

Edit. Oh, "Wooosh".

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

Except for the part where they repeatedly identified themselves as police before drawing.

After being attacked by the crowd and the one cop even being knocked to the ground first before subsequently tackling the now pictured getting arrested guy. Those fascist pigs not letting themselves be beaten by 30+ protestors. Psssssh goshhhhhh.

Cole posted:

Do you guys hate black cops as much as white cops

Or is that a conflict of interest?

FTP, man. Doesn't matter. The first few pages in this thread address this. D&D finds a reason to hate you no matter what color you are if you wear a uniform.

Untagged fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 14, 2014

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Panzeh posted:

One might wonder what cops are doing disguised in the middle of a protest.

Miltank posted:

Infiltrators and agent provocateurs are fair game just sayin.

She was wearing that short skirt. Rite guys :v:.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

The media certainly doesn't help things. Like around here recently where 150+ local cops volunteered on their day off to take 200+ underprivileged kids and their families Christmas shopping for gifts and much needed winter clothing. Not one media person showed up. But the next day when they had an "anti-police protest" downtown and (maybe) 5 people showed up there was two TV trucks and several newspapers present. Only one newspaper article about the shopping event, and it was a copy-paste of a local department press release. The "protest" got a ton of coverage, and that certainly goes a long way in perpetuating the narrative.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

It's Balmore Hon, totally makes sense.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Pomp posted:

8-1 ruling, jesus christ.

"The law only applies if we're not trying to find something to arrest you for."

It's ok no one actually read the entire decision except for the little excerpts that fit the narrative because oh boy there'd be nothing to post about.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Pomp posted:

I'd like to hear your justification for evidence collection not being held to the same standard as getting prosecuted, ya' toady.

It's ok you are not entirely sure what the differences between reasonable suspicion, probable cause, and beyond a reasonable doubt are or mean in a court case. I get that. No need to get snarky about your lack of understanding.

Also the search was by consent, so the case had to go even more backward for an almost procedural appeal because welp he gave the cops the reason for his main conciction.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Unless you think you can subdue the cop and disarm him completely you may end up dead for your attempt, if you are successful you will have saved a life but will most likely end up in prison or at best harassed by police for the rest of your life.

This will cost you at least three or four serious felonies in most states, more in others. Rated 1 Star Do Not Attempt. Also, if you attempt to or actually do disarm an officer you will more than likely be shot. "Intervening" is not a recommended practice unless you intend to help the cop. The flip side is you may not know the context of a given situation and what "looks bad" to you might in fact actually not be and be completely justified. Then your completely boned in two directions.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

:lol:. This. Thread.

It wants to. It really does. It tries so hard. But, well...

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Pohl posted:

I'm surprised you were able to take the cop dick out of your mouth long enough to actually post.

A gay joke? A cock in the mouth gay joke? This thread spent like three pages giving another guy poo poo for being far less direct than that a few back. Although it's ok when you do it. But hey he didn't agree with you all too or something right? Same team and all that. So... Thanks for proving my point, albeit in a different way.

I hope you feel better. Call that number and talk to someone before it's too late. :glomp:.

By the way cop cock is fantastic.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Evil Sagan posted:

Do copgoons regard themselves as being at war with other civilians? Instead of their community, do they work in a battlefield?

You should go ask them. They are right over there*.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Kalman posted:

Why would the union backstop cops for acting outside of the scope of duty? Are you suggesting some kind of statute force them to be responsible? Or are you thinking they'll do it to protect their members?

They are going to be so pissed when they realize half the country doesn't have traditional police unions in the first place, so no "back stop" funds.

People don't typically sue the cop directly and not the city. That would be pointless since most cops are typical civil servants without many assets. The gimmick is to always find a way to sue the city too (or only) on behalf of the cop because that is where the money could be found. Especially when the city becomes known to "pay off" litigation prior to formal case filing and trial. It happens all the time.

Untagged fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 5, 2015

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Folks seem to forget arrest in these instances also cover detaining too. Resist lawful detainment would result in a resist arrest charges in most places.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

The police didn't block her from the meeting, the City's own attorney did. It even says it right in the article. This was hashed out earlier in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't recall saying the police did so, but apologies for a repost.

Oh, your looking for the City Attorney reform thread then.

• Locked thread