Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Accretionist posted:

What do you guys have in the way of policy preferences? I'll cross-post mine from this month's politics thread.

And I will cross post my reply because the history essay is very useful:

Joementum posted:

I don't think they have the votes in the House to kill it and I doubt they'd have a majority in the Senate even if they took that over in November. The ExIm bank is exactly Thad Cochran's idea of good government and he's not alone in that chamber.

I thought the tea party types were angling to make it (one of) their demand(s) for appropriations re-authorization in September because the ExIm Bank authorization expires at the same time. Now I don't think anyone is stupid enough to let them lapse again but then again I didn't think they'd be dumb enough to do it last time.

Accretionist posted:

Rotate officers between postings & fields to mitigate burnout & clique-formation

This would actually be a negative on the whole. One of the problems with police now is they have little connection to those they interact with on a daily basis largely enabled by the switch from community based beat policing to the random officers showing up in vehicles when called. Departments are just now really starting to figure out that they derive their legitimacy not from some Dread-esque "we enforce the law as written and strike fear into the hearts of criminals" professionalism but instead based upon citizens feeling safe and secure which is more affected by problem solving guided by community involvement. In short someone will be much more likely to reach out to police about a problem that worries them before they either move to get away or it becomes a catastrophe if they expect the response to be someone they at least vaguely recognize showing up and asking "Is everyone OK? What can I do to help?" instead of some random stone-faced person demanding "What is the problem here? What is that I smell?".

Here's a really good read regarding the changing nature of police from politically-based "to protect and serve" public works departments that did things a city or neighborhood needed like run soup kitchens and happened to arrest people if they felt it was in the community's interest to the completely detached arrest metric driven "thin-blue-line", and the renewed look at perhaps maybe listening to those they serve again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Huragok posted:

Coming from Australia where the Police are States-based (with a smaller Federal police), how did the current structure of policing come about in the U.S. where there are State, County and Municipal policing bodies?

Part of it was when we started forming what would eventually become our Police there was not a strong central power from which they could derive a mandate (such as the crown). So things started in a fragmented arrangement with most of the power in the local departments. But then that shifted as a response to local corruption/inequity and the need for coordination came to the fore in the 20s.

In a way we are really still feeling the effects of prohibition.

• Locked thread