Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Problem description: My "primary" hard drive is a 128 GB SSD that I use to hold my OS, temporary files (install .exes, pictures/videos/music before moving to a storage HDD), and crucial pieces of software. According to the program Space Sniffer and other disk analysis tools like iObit's disk analysis I've only used up about 60 GB or so of the drive. According to Windows Explorer however, I've used up about 125 GB of the drive. I cannot seem to figure out what files are taking up this extra 50-60 GB nor how to access them, let alone delete them.

Attempted fixes: Aside from Google I've used SpaceSniffer and iObit's disk analysis tool to try and figure out how to access the files that are taking up so much extra space. I've looked through Windows Explorer to no avail and been considering saying "gently caress it" and formatting the drive. Belarc Advisor says the same as Windows Explorer, but is merely diagnostic for system specs and I can't use it to access anything.

Recent changes: The big issue may be that I deleted my paging file to my knowledge--it doesn't show up in Space Sniffer or any other disk analysis tools, but I did this nearly two years ago when I bought the drive and did not have any issue until a month or so ago. My gut tells me that there's a backup file like pagefile.sys taking up the space, but I'm at a loss on how to figure out how to find and delete it.

--

Operating system: Windows 8 Pro

System specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965
Motherboard: ASROCK 890GX Pro3
PSU: Corsair HX650 650W
RAM: 2 x 4GB, 2 x 2GB GSkill
Hard Drives: C300-CTFDDAC128MAG [SSD] (128.04 GB)
M4-CT128M4SSD2 [SSD] (128.04 GB)
ST31000524AS [HDD] (1000.20 GB)
WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 [HDD] (1000.20 GB)
GPU: GeForce 560 Ti 448 Core

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes to both. Sadly neither solved my issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Run TreeSize Free as an administrator to see if it can locate the files. The obvious things to check would be to look for a hidden pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys in the root directory. Also disable and then re-enable System Restore, run Disk Cleanup using the Cleanup System Files option to remove backup files from installed Windows updates, and run CHKDSK /F /V on your SSDs. After rebooting from the CHKDSK, run the Windows Disk Defragmenter on both SSDs. This doesn't actually defragment them, which would be worthless on an SSD, but triggers a Windows SSD optimization pass.

Also verify that both SSDs have the latest firmware, as both have known issues with older firmware. That doesn't sound like its related to your problem, but still a good idea.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TreeSizeFree did the trick Alereon. Thank you immensely. Turns out the file was a "Windows.edb", eating up the 60 GB. A quick Google search gave me this answer on how to delete Windows.edb and so far it has worked. I'm rebuilding the index that Windows.edb is as we speak, and figured out how to put it onto one of my HDDs where it'll have more head room.

Thanks again, and double thanks for the firmware suggestion. I had no idea and will get on it immediately.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Glad that helped, but note that you definitely don't want to put that file on an HDD, that will murder your system performance as Windows is frequently updating the Index. The file should not be 60GB though, so once you delete and rebuild the index your problem should be fixed and should not return.

• Locked thread