Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Older Hunter S. quotes are best imagined as finishing with him just screaming wordlessly, like in that clip where Conan O'Brien went and visited him to shoot an M60 and drink whiskey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Amused to Death posted:

nah tumblr loves Louie CK

I haven't watched the newest season, but apparently there was a pretty poorly written/handled storyline with one of his love interests.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ReindeerF posted:

With reference to pants chat, I wanted to point out that here in Southeast Asia the goons pride ourselves on remaining pantless as a routine part of life. We probably also get statistically less done.

If you think about it, greater statistical probability of pants-wearing probably correlates with higher productivity (maybe also a higher propensity for colonialism), but also with lower happiness levels and longer working hours.

My impression was that the old-dude-pants-high thing came from the time right after WWII when they stopped rationing fabrics and suddenly the market was kind of glutted and people went a little overboard. So you got high-waisted pants with tons of pleats because it was so cool they could afford that much material again.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

lothar_ posted:

:stonk: You can't do that on the Internet!

Special rule for this thread only.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

SedanChair posted:

Conservative comedians aren't comedians, they're just guys who become popular because they say a lot of racist things with a funny look on their face.

Clarkson is hilarious until it sets in that he's not a character created to take the piss out of people like him.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Can we just redirect Fishmech's posts to a gaschamber thread again? There's threads here where 1/3 of a page is just JERK DETECTED.

I don't think that's what this thread is for.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 30, 2014

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

XyloJW posted:

I only enjoy ideologically correct media.

Top Gear is legitimately one of the best shows Britain's ever produced, and Clarkson is legitimately quite funny. He's just also a twit, and sometimes the two things meet.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

SubponticatePoster posted:

With SNL, the older the better. 70's had Bill Murray, John Belushi, Dan Ackroyd, Gilda Radner. 80's had Eddie Murphy, Dana Carvey, Mike Meyers. You'll notice that people from the 80's are no longer funny :( 90's and onward is more bad than good IMO.

Dan Ackroyd isn't that funny anymore either. Remember his rant in Blues Brothers 2000--it's okay if you don't--where he goes off for a few minutes about how kids these days all listen to rap and hip-hop and that's not real music?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

paragon1 posted:

hey man, I think i'll do pretty well in the food riots. I've got a helmet and a gun and everything.

Hmm... your helmet, is it blue?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

SedanChair posted:

Well anyhow thanks for the vote of confidence; when I mutate telepathic powers from vaporizing Chinese nicotine, you'll be the first person I enslave

I don't know what I want to be true more: a) "Chinese Nicotine" is the new strain you copped this week, or b) people actually import Chinese nicotine to vape it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

paragon1 posted:

I'm gonna punch the next nerd to bring up the Overton window.

Thus, by a continual shifting of the Overton window, the enemy is always both

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Chicken and turkey taste better to me than beef anyway, though lamb is even better. I may have weird taste buds.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

XyloJW posted:

Back when the internet was young, I found a website selling exotic meats. It was a plain html website with just the choices of meat, a description, a picture, and "email for price and shipping information." Buffalo steaks and buffalo burgers at the top, then ground emu chuck. Then lion steaks and lion ribs. Hippo steaks and hippo roasts. Ground giraffe meat. And at the bottom, "We have acquired an elephant. Transporting elephant meat is illegal in many countries, so please verify that you have a way to receive it before contacting us. We will cut to specification."

How big do you think their freezer is, where do you think it is, and how big a forklift do they have there?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

zoux posted:

Quick name one thing about Belgium.

quote:

"The Most Gratuitous Use of the Word "Belgium" in a Serious Screenplay. It's very prestigious."

"The most gratuitous use of which word?" asked Arthur, with a determined attempt to keep his brain in neutral.

"Belgium," said the girl, "I hardly like to say it."

"Belgium?" exclaimed Arthur.

A drunken seven-toed sloth staggered past, gawked at the word and threw itself backward at a blurry-eyed pterodactyl, roaring with displeasure.

"Are we talking," said Arthur, "about the very flat country, with all the EEC and the fog?"

"What?" said the girl.

"Belgium," said Arthur.

"Raaaaaarrrchchchchch!" screeched the pterodactyl.

"Grrruuuuuurrrghhhh," agreed the seven-toed sloth.

"They must be thinking of Ostend Hoverport," muttered Arthur. He turned back to the girl.

"Have you ever been to Belgium in fact?" he asked brightly and she nearly hit him.

"I think," she said, restraining herself, "that you should restrict that sort of remark to something artistic."

"You sound as if I just said something unspeakable rude."

"You did."

In today's modern Galaxy there is of course very little still held to be unspeakable. Many words and expressions which only a matter of decades ago were considered so distastefully explicit that, were they merely to be breathed in public, the perpetrator would be shunned, barred from polite society, and in extreme cases shot through the lungs, are now thought to be very healthy and proper, and their use in everyday speech and writing is seen as evidence of a well-adjusted, relaxed and totally un****ed-up personality.

So, for instance, when in a recent national speech the Financial Minister of the Royal World Estate of Quarlvista actually dared to say that due to one thing and another and the fact that no one had made any food for a while and the king seemed to have died and most of the population had been on holiday now for over three years, the economy was now in what he called "one whole joojooflop situation," everyone was so pleased that he felt able to come out and say it that they quite failed to note that their entire five-thousand-year-old civilization had just collapsed overnight.
But even though words like "joojooflop," "swut," and "turlingdrome" are now perfectly acceptable in common usage there is one word that is still beyond the pale. The concept it embodies is so revolting that the publication or broadcast of the word is utterly forbidden in all parts of the Galaxy except for use in Serious Screenplays. There is also, or was, one planet where they didn't know what it meant, the stupid turlingdromes.

"I see," said Arthur, who didn't, "so what do you get for using the name of a perfectly innocent if slightly dull European country gratuitously in a Serious Screenplay?"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Did the NYT review all nationalities of men during the 1880s or did they just single out the Belgians?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

R. Mute posted:

i guess that's the impression you get if you only go to a country to smoke opium and drink heavily

So, Belgium was the destination for that kind of thing, then.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If the US wins, can I still eat a Belgian Waffle to signify the spoils of our defeated enemy? Is that patriotic enough?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Avshalom posted:

Have any of you ever pictured a vagina coming loose and crawling along on the floor like a jellyfish, dragging itself by its dextrous labia?

You know, I never thought of that image as being something missing from my life. Now that I have it... it still wasn't something missing.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

viscous wolves posted:

I feel that this subject may be better suited to the ladychat thread rather than the D&D one. Unless anyone in here has an example of something like this happening and would like to debate and/or discuss it.

Ah, but, if we saw that, what kind of booze would it make us feel like drinking?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Matoi Ryuko posted:

How come America only gets one soccer team even though we have 28x Belgum's population?

Good idea, let's just send the Timbers to the World Cup next time.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

euphronius posted:

And Georgia

Georiga 2. Or far East Georgia

Making it a separate state would be too confusing. Just make it part of Georgia.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

loquacius posted:

Uh. Is that actually Macklemore wearing a Shylock-esque Jewish-caricature costume? :psyduck:

Yeah, that's exactly what that is.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Matoi Ryuko posted:

You haven't lived until you've tried my home-made Pickles n' Marshmallow sandwich. (with mayonnaise!)

I would be a lot more perturbed at this if I didn't know that all through grad school my dad apparently subsisted on a steady diet of grilled cream cheese sandwiches.

To be honest I gave that a try when I got to college myself and it's not bad; better if you add some Spam though.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

R. Mute posted:

Ah yes, America.

Don't you live next door to a country that still thinks blackface is okay?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Fister Roboto posted:

Holy poo poo I can't believe you people had a multi-page discussion about Belgian things and not a single person mentioned Tintin. Explain yourself, D&D chat thread.

A couple of people mentioned Tintin.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

N. Senada posted:

Do people really develop their understanding of how railways function from Sid Meier's Railroads!?

I got mine from Ticket to Ride, thank you very much.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Anecdotally, in New Jersey US history I got a nice treatment of labor history, with a lot about populist movements, post-Civil-War domestic politics, a documentary about the Homestead Strike, excerpts from The Jungle... good stuff. I didn't appreciate at the time how cool that was.

Then in California I took US history again and it was only poo poo that was gonna be on the AP test at the end of the year.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

McDowell posted:

God bless our NJEA liberal indoctrination factory :patriot:

Sure in 9th grade I hated it but it was important information.

We got to watch 'Newsies'!

Hell yeah, we watched Newsies.

In CA when we covered the same time period we watched Far and Away. Then after the AP test it was time to cover US History 1950-Present so we watched Forrest Gump and went home for the summer.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

mdemone posted:

Given the CIA's track record, I half expect that they were emailing this guy's dossier around internally and accidentally CCed Angela Merkel.

Why the gently caress are we spying on Germany anyway?

Trust, but verify.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Joementum posted:

I just spent the weekend in the desert and I do not understand why people live there willingly.

It was 95-105 all day and my throat has closed up because I'm not used to sucking in that much freon from central AC.

no mosquitos

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

razorrozar posted:

Ice cream.

Italian ice.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Now, what do we mean when we say "mid-atlantic" because there are parts of that that are cool and there are parts of that next to which I would rather live almost anywhere else.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Similarly, there are parts of California that are cool and there are a lot of parts of California where I'll be happy never to go.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

No, I'm just truthfully stating that the north, in fact, is not good.

If I wanted to live in an expensive place full of bad people I would at least choose the place where it doesn't snow. That's just basic common sense.

Just move to Portland*, it's a cheap place full of bad people and it only snows once every five years**.

*don't

**So nobody's ready when it happens and the city shuts down for a week.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I just figure it's cultural; we make girls write in a way determined to be aesthetically prettier instead of just letting them communicate. It has to be a performance, too.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Finally reading Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 after all the recommendations and I cannot believe even Rolling Stone was willing to give HST a job doing this poo poo. Just got past the part where he drunkenly lends his press pass to an ex-con who gets drunk and assaults Ed Muskie and into the part where he goes off on a tangent about Muskie being addicted to speed which was complete bullshit he was just spewing to meet his goal for column inches.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

McDowell posted:

The best part is that after Watergate the Muskie people started thinking Hunter was an agent for Nixon

Also McCarthy should have taken HST's advice and done a photo-op drinking beer on the beach in a Grateful Dead tee

poo poo, from what HST writes in the book Muskie's people already thought that. Doesn't help that Watergate proved Nixon really had played some dirty tricks against Muskie's campaign, not that they needed to.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Cheekio posted:

A friend of mine said his debate team got creamed because the team that went on to win the competition made a compelling case against the axiom of an absolute truth, invalidating their opponents' claims.

How can you not get off on that sort of thing?

This is cool as long as my counter-argument could be to simply assert that might makes right, punch the other dude in the jaw, and declare victory.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

R. Mute posted:

football is a complicated sport with so many variables it makes stats useless and with so many factors that can't even be translated into stats

I started making a longer post about this but then I just deleted it all because it just said :jerkbag:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

R. Mute posted:

for real though i'd probably give half of the money to my family - enough money for my sister to pay off her house and some for my parents as a return on investment for raising me or something. the other half would be mainly cocaine and hookers, if by that i mean save/invest it, give part to charity and also buy cocaine.

I started to make a bad joke about charity being the name of the hooker when I was struck by curiosity about what hooker names are in other languages. Do sex workers in Francophone countries still pick working names like charité or étoile or are there different trends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I finally found a döner place here in the States. It's run by white dudes but the lamb was still pretty bomb.

• Locked thread