Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nintendo Kid posted:

Amtrak is nevertheless often significantly less expensive than the private passenger services ever were, inflation adjusted. It's also faster than most people think, a lot of perceived slowness comes out of the fact the lines are often indirectly routed to avoid troublesome terrain, and station stops on long distance routes are often quite long to ensure all passengers and luggage can be transferred on and off.

My perception of Amtrak being terrible comes from the fact that it's faster and more convenient to take the bus, and parallel comparison to, say, France, or Israel, ffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sharkie posted:

Amtrack is more comfortable than the bus and usually cheaper than air. Plus you can walk around, visit the observation car, get drunk, etc. You can also sometimes find good deals on sleeper rooms. Plus I like it cause it's kind of romantic.

Also there's a nice song about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvMS_ykiLiQ.

Well, for me in Albany, having to take at least two buses to the other side of the river just to take the train down to NYC isn't worth it when I can take one bus to Greyhound, then a bus to NYC. Much cheaper, too. It would be great if they hadn't moved the station across the river, but there you are. I guess I shouldn't fault Amtrak, it's the US's inability to understand that passenger trains can't work well if they're not where people without cars have easy access to them. But to hell with the carless, right? No car, no rights.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Depends on the city pair. A lot of city pairs are significantly more expensive by bus than Amtrak.
Name a pair.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nintendo Kid posted:

Blacksburg, VA to Pontiac, MI, for instance. That's one I recently traveled, at the time the Amtrak fare was $89 while Greyhound wouldn't go lower than $119 and required 6 transfers (in part because you had to get your own way to the nearest city with a greyhound stop) instead of just 4.

I... stand corrected. :stare:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xenocidebot posted:

One of you wads suggested not snubbing Evan Williams in a prior US Pol thread. Thank you, whoever you are.
Evan Williams is genuinely good, and I'm not even a big cheap bourbon fan. Amazing for an Old Fashioned or Whiskey Sour.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

skaboomizzy posted:

Most states have OBAMAnnual vehicle OBAMAspection and OBAMAstration requirements (including OBAMAmissions), so it'll be super fun to see what happens when these vehicles are declared to be not road OBAMAlegal.
That's what I'm guessing, anyway.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

June 13, 1972

Colson: You know, I've still got a memo here that I sent over to that gathering place across the street in January telling us everything Muskie's doing. And I talked to them three weeks ago and they said they were taping everything, audio, and they were using video wherever we can...And they weren't. They were just doing Humphrey in California ....

President Nixon: Particularly when we now saw that McGovern might well be nominated. Well, anyway, they've got it now? They've got it covered?

Colson: Well, they said so [...]

[Next segment]

President Nixon: For example, that business of the McGovern watch, it just has to be -- it has to be around the clock [...]

President Nixon: You see, because he -- could I just suggest this? Could we, for example, hire even like -- why the hell don't we hire Dick, I don't know whether Dick Perlasky, or a young reporter. Could [White House staffer Kenneth] Clawson find a good young reporter and say he's going to do a book. Teddy White does them...And he just goes over there with his press pass. He doesn't open his mouth, but he just covers the sonofabitch like a blanket.

Colson: I've got a good man to use for that.

President Nixon: I would do it

:aaaaa: Now I'm willing to believe HST was a Nixon plant.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

illrepute posted:

Hey Absurd Alhazred? I just wanted to say that I really liked your posting in the I/P thread, and it was neat to get the chance to see an average Israeli's take on the conflict. I sorta.. hope you don't read the thread right now, because it's in a pretty bad place, but if there would be a chance for you to effortpost on what Israeli politics are like from your view, that'd be amazing to read.

I really appreciate your sentiments. I'm not really an average Israeli, being an expat and, you know, being openly hostile to a lot of views most Israelis, even somewhat to the left, would defend without question. I have a lot of sympathy for the people dismissing me as a Hasbara shill, because I used to react the same way, and I have friends who still do; it hurts all the more for it.

That being said, where would be a good effort post for this? And what should I cover? I think I have some insights into Zionist history (from reading a lot of books - I'm not a historian), and I have some grasp of current politics and the balance of power and geopolotics (although I'm not a political scientist), but I wouldn't want to blather on by myself and then be taken as authoritative simply because people like my posting. While I disagree with Kaal about many things, I feel he might have more insightful things to say about anything security related, and Xander's been posting legitimate things, although we have fundamental disagreements. Others have said sensible things, as well.

When the I/P thread started, I was hoping for a thread where you could hear from open-minded Israelis, like me, but also from Palestinians. One second-generation refugee posted once there, I don't know if anyone else did. I do know a lot of them would just not want to talk to an Israeli in this context, and considering how often even leftist Israelis simply dismiss Palestinian history, especially an-Nakba, I can't blame them. Others dismiss talking to Israelis who are not, say, openly and publicly members of the BDS movement as heterodox normalization with the Zionist enemy; I think that's historically been shown to be a bad way of going about it, but again, up to them. In that Platonic thread people from around the world could join in the conversation, argue about substantive differences, etc. Maybe everyone could learn something.

Unfortunately, we got that thread. I am not sure if it's possible to do better in D&D.

Pope Guilty posted:

Wasn't he the guy back during the Israeli protests was talking about how bad the Israeli middle class has it and didn't see any kind of a parallel or comparison to how Arab Israelis and the Palestinians are treated?

I don't remember what you're talking about. If you could link to a thread I will be able to defend or be embarrassed about what I said there, depending on what it was that I said, if I did said anything. It's been three years, I do most of my I/P arguing with people on Facebook, and I don't remember that I was very involved with I/P threads here until maybe the 2013 elections, or the refugee thread, whichever one came first. I could be wrong, though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Monkey Man posted:

Which parties have you voted for, Alhazred?

I only voted for a party once, and it was for Meretz. For a while I thought I was too radical left wing to do something like voting. Now if I had to choose I would probably vote for Balad (Tajamua, or National Democratic Assembly), a Palestinian nationalist secular party, because while I disagree with some of their views, I think that they are going good places, particularly with their outreach to Mizrahi Jews. I mean, if I could vote for a parliamentarian, I would definitely vote for Ahmed Tibi, but he is currently in a coalition of parties which include the Southern Islamic movement, and I don't see myself voting for a religious party.

However, I think that now that I've moved out of the country, it is inappropriate for me to vote there. It is also logistically a hassle, because there are no absentee ballots.

razorrozar posted:

It kinda sucks how people can get so angry at a culture or group they refuse to believe any of them have anything worth saying. A lot of Israelis are assholes, yes. Why should Absurd have to take the blame for that, especially if he doesn't espouse the views people take issue with?

Then again there's probably no such thing as neutral ground when it comes to Israel/Palestine. :smith:

As we speak my country is bombing people it has kept in an open-air prison for almost a decade now. There are probably at least 100 dead by now (80 last reported), and many more are likely. This, furthermore, has nothing to do with providing the Israeli people with any geopolitical or security gains. So even if we were to accept Israeli claims as to the precision and legitimacy of their bombing campaign, those people have all been killed for absolutely no good reason. I entirely understand why people are upset. I am upset. Most of my friends are upset, and opposed to this, but I get into arguments with friends-of-friends who aren't. Even after having given up on trying to convince them of the immorality of our government's action, just trying to argue on the merits for Israelis qua Israelis, you have to climb a sheer cliff of spite. It's very disheartening.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Wolfsheim posted:

Just poppin' in to say I laugh every time I see this pic

look at his stupid pouty face, just look at that big stupid baby

Is that Governor Perry? Why the long face, Ricky-poo?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

Literally "if they take a picture of me smiling with the Kenyan, I'm finished." Obama was probably just riffing the whole time trying to get him to crack. The Finest President.

Yeah, but what's the context? Some kind of inter-governmental thing where the State of the Republic of By God Texas has to deal with those damned DC Carpetbaggers?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

Wasn't it the Super Serious Meetup to Discuss the Immigrant Crisis?

Holy crap, you were right. I'm GISing it and he is absolutely serious in each and every photo.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 11, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cheekio posted:

A friend of mine said his debate team got creamed because the team that went on to win the competition made a compelling case against the axiom of an absolute truth, invalidating their opponents' claims.

How can you not get off on that sort of thing?

That sounds even less informative or interesting than the I/P thread.

"You can't disprove solipsism, check and mate. :smug:" --- an argument judged triumphant by a panel of their peers, apparently.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

kelvron posted:

Pics as requested. (Phone posting so just a gallery link for now. I'll fix it later.)

http://imgur.com/a/gETqg

Funny how all these participation trophies are styled like medals. :ironicat:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Too bad he never tried getting his house bombed and his loved ones murdered because his faith scared a fat old upper class slob an ocean away, maybe that would have fixed his actual problems instead of just one of the symptoms.

He was really big on the Kurds in his debate with Galloway (a disingenuous poo poo in his own right; now there was a debate worth watching!), so he may be happy in the afterlifeoblivion now. :unsmith:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Feta cheese goes well with grapes. I've also done plums with smoked Gouda, you slice them and alternate. Delish.

It works better the higher quality the cheese is. You need a good flavor contrast, like sweet with sour or salty.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Best way to eat döner/shawarma.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
When I was in Sweden I noted that the most common fast-food place was Pizza-Kebab combinations. :raise:

In Toronto there is a Hungarian-Thai place, and if you've never had Wiener-schnitzel and mango salad for dinner, well, you've never lived.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ReindeerF posted:

Non-Indian Asians. Come hang out and listen to the Thais or the ethnic Chinese Malays or anyone talk about Indian food. Dirty! Stinks! Dirty people! Unclean! You ever see them wash!? etc.

Surely there's a way to make this a white supremacy issue. This is D&D, dammit!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ReindeerF posted:

I need a crying Thailand flag after reading that.

Here's the key test for your Thai restaurant. Ask them if they use real "ga pow" in their Chicken With Basil. Ga pow is the specific kind of basil used here. If not, or if they can't arrange it for you, GTFO. While standard Thai basil is acceptable as a substitute, holy basil is preferable. The other kind, hualaphaa, is too fragrant and doesn't work. Anything else (mint, other basils, capsicum, etc) is not acceptable. poo poo's hard to get in America, but it's worth paying for. If your restaurant doesn't use it then sucks to their asthmar!

I can't remember how many times I've rolled in back home, ordered ga pow and been served loving bell peppers and mint leaves. It's the equivalent of ordering a hamburger and being served a pork patty with shallots instead of onions or something.

Further crimes against humanity.

A pork patty with shallots sounds amazing, actually.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Swan Oat posted:

i highly recommend ethiopian food, that spongy bread is delicious and a fun thing to eat with

Amen to that. It's kind of like laxoox, a Yemeni spongy bread, which is also good. Yemeni food is generally amazing. Man, now I want some, and there's none of that around here.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 14, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Negative Entropy posted:

When it becomes possible to eliminate genetic disorders with DNA editing, should such editing be treated like vaccines, as something everyone gets unless the parents forbid it?

Even if they were ideal, in what way is it different than allowing parents to do DNA screenings and then decide whether or not to abort the fetus? I think one of the issues with vaccines is the public health angle, where refusing them harms herd immunity and affects those who legitimately cannot take the vaccine. There is no such angle with genetic disorders.

Warcabbit posted:

So you can't handle spicy food?

Dad learned to cook barbeque down in Fort Worth. I never knew how hot the stuff he was cooking was until I went eating with other people and was horribly perplexed by their reactions to indian food. "... what? This green pepper is hot?"

I went to a local Jamaican hole-in-the-wall place and ordered jerk chicken. I... couldn't finish it in one go. And then I tried eating the leftovers with yogurt; it didn't really help. :smith:

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 14, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Negative Entropy posted:

I guess a more pithy question is whether or not parents should be allowed to give knowingly give birth to children with genetic disorders.
If a child grows up with some kind of awful genetic disorder like Turner's syndrome and finds out that their parents knew about the disorder and did nothing to stop it, how do you think that kid would react? If you can edit the DNA of the embryo without needing to abort it, is it ethical to abstain from doing so?

paragon1 posted:

Uh, well, with DNA editing presumably the fetus would come to term and result in a healthy child instead of medical waste, as the case would be with abortion.

Right. Um.. well, really depends on cost and side-effects, then. If it's cheap/free and has no serious side effects, then I think it's pretty reasonable to require it. If it's expensive and has many side-effects (which it probably will to start with), then I don't think so.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ogmius815 posted:

I don't understand why we shouldn't use technology to try and ensure that future generations of humans don't have to deal with terrible illnesses that have plagued us. I'd even be willing to consider letting people screen for really in-depth poo poo like intelligence or attractiveness if it were possible. The implications creep me out, but there's a difference between my thinking something is icky and its being morally wrong. I'm pretty much fully in favor of a woman's right to choose and I'm not all that interested in scrutinizing what reason women have for making reproductive choices.

Well, considering the fact that, as far as I know, there doesn't seem to be a single measure of either beauty or intelligence that can be consistently be made insensitive to cultural norms, I'd say that's even less likely than free genetic therapies with minimal side-effects.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Was on a psychedelic/prog-rock binge recently. Traffic is kind of awesome, and Yes is what Genesis would sound like if it were actually good. Also Procol Harum have their moments. After listening to ELP and King Crimson for a bit they kind of wore me down. Any recommendations?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Avshalom posted:

I love Leonard Cohen like the father I never had, and I've also been listening to a lot of new-wave klezmer.
Have you tried some L'Orkestrina?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iUHW2yzErQ

quote:

I know posting random images isn't the done thing in DnD, but I was charmed by this frog and wanted to share it.

It is an adorable frog. :frogbon:

pangstrom posted:

That's when incompetent people (e.g. people bad at cognition) are also incompetent at knowing they're incompetent (e.g. bad at metacognition).

I don't know if there is a named effect for "expert overconfidence in domains outside their expertise" (or even if such an effect has been demonstrated), but if I could pick one I would call it the "being an economist effect".

Nassim Taleb Syndrome. :newt:

By the way, various friends of that unpalatable friend I was arguing with on Facebook (people in the I/P and Fw:Fw:Fw: threads may know what I'm talking about) have found that they have amazing insights into the world after taking a lot of drugs. So I have invented a new term: Drug-Induced Dunning-Kruger.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

XyloJW posted:

You and at least one friend, before the age of 17, high fived over the House of Representatives? Jesus, man.

I was much younger than that when I was rooting for Ross Perot in the 1992 elections. Is that :smith: or :unsmith:?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Speaking of people who should not be doing Ska, Israeli Madness ripofftribute band, Mashina:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYQ3WBi_n68

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

comes along bort posted:

The gently caress backwoods rock did you live under. Swing revival was sooooo 1997.

e: also I feel sorry for you dorks who had to endure Christian ska. At least in the early 90s if you wanted Jebus in your music you had Mortification:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhQZGJTgmq0

:stare:
"Megilloth" is literally "scrolls" in Hebrew. That is literally "scrolls of the scrolls".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

Er, you guys realize that ska happened without any intervention from white teenagers right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqfcZk7Eo7U

I thought the general consensus was that white teenagers ruined it, thought? :confused:

Speaking of gay and music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCZvYXwBlkk

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

I have to be careful about critiquing bad 90's music because at the time I was really into prog.

I own Pink Floyd concert bootlegs on vinyl thanks to that time in my life, which is indefensible.
You think that's indefensible? Guess what got me into psych/prog? Hint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BGlFsf9DM8

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Don't be silly, it's the chat thread! It has no rails!

I had this half a decade where I would move to a new apartment, the city/town would be starting construction/renovation of the area, and then it would be done just before I would have to move out. Really irritating.

N. Senada posted:

Somebody on facebook said this about the 1%, and I don't know how he came to it. Does anyone know what stats he's referring to or if this is true?

Pulled out of :butt:. Calling it now.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
America, where you are free to clog up your nose to spite your face tax.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zoux posted:

Everytime I hear some politician or public official use the term "disconnect" as a noun as in "there's a disconnect between thing a and thing b" I literally gnash my teeth.

It does grate on the ears, but what would you use instead?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

razorrozar posted:

Someone posted a crying Palestinian kid who lost his whole family in the D&D Images thread and I've been super depressed ever since I saw it. :smith:

I hope you at least don't have Facebook friends who constantly put up Hasbara bullshit. I'm taking a break from confronting them simply because I'm otherwise not getting anything done and I've already exhausted all my arguments.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ReindeerF posted:

Optics is mine. What a stupid loving word. Also every lazy, clubby loving Aussie type nickname for something like "lege" (legislature), "spox" (spokesman/woman) and so on.

Orwell's essay on politics and the English language should be etched into the inside of the eyelids of everyone who talks or writes about politics. In short, write like a normal human, don't use fancy new words for existing concepts and avoid passive voice.

Unfortunately, about 80% of all political bloggers and writersD&D posters would be firedbanned if these rules were instituted, so the bad habits proliferate.

I actually like "optics". Anybody uses that term, and they're basically signalling to you most helpfully that they don't care about substance, only about how things are perceived.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zoux posted:

Hahah I've never seen this before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvu0WEYNGiY

Literally wish our public sector unions were more like that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

XyloJW posted:

The last time I discussed slang with auspol:

I refuse to believe that this is anything but the absolute truth about Australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_p0CgPeyA

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

All the Francophone word endings in English got added during the Victorian era, which is why Americans don't write "centre", "colour", "labour", etc.

I need a source for this. I have so many friends who are all uppity about their Received Pronunciation and Spelling bullshit.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Chantilly Say posted:

Counterpoint: yarmulkes.

Countercounterpoint: Rabbi Ovadia "Bling" Yosef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dante Logos posted:

I'm thinking of starting a Education & Politics thread. Anyone have anything that we should cover or include? I know enough about Texas Education but is any other state doing something incredibly stupid with their?

Also, any thread title ideas?

Education and Politics: Dumb and Charter.

• Locked thread