Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

XyloJW posted:

Notes:
  • While this thread is going to be more relaxed than a normal D&D thread, try to keep things at least a bit above GBS-levels of relaxed. Don't report people for spelling errors or caps stuff, but please also don't spam a hundred images or generally try to make the thread unreadable.

If this doesn't look like it's working out, this thread will go away.

You're supposed to report people for spelling errors and caps stuff normally? The more you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Who What Now posted:

This just proves Lincoln was the most adorable president.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Well it's Tuesday so obviously Tacos were on the menu but now I don't know :ohdear:

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Avshalom posted:

I dreamt that he told me to deliver a seminar on the Truth, but on the way there, I was distracted by a young Indian orphan selling lap harps in a back alleyway. We had a harp-playing competition. I lost decisively. As the people jeered, I went on my way only to find that I'd missed my own seminar appointment by several hours and the building was now locked behind a barbed-wire fence. When I told Ariel what I'd done, he told me that he wasn't angry, just disappointed.

It's posts like this why I never got into FYAD clones. We were happy having Experimental D&D Burgerchat and I was about to post how easily that would work as the lyrics to this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1DZ9FdX6V0&feature=kp

Now I've got to see if FOMO beats my desire to not read that block of text.

edit: these blocks of text.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Good scrambled egg recipe: one egg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aazP6zvJmiQ

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Ten years ago today, Saddam made his first appearance in kangaroo court:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3855359.stm

Do people eat Kangaroo? I imagine Kangaroo burgers would be somewhere on the scale between gamey and inedible.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, I think people are glossing over the fact that before it was called Melbourne it was BATMANIA.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Conversation Hijack from USPOL thread- Huxley vs Orwell, Round Infinity:

haveblue posted:

In 1984 the system itself was malicious, but had long since passed the point that any one person could do anything about it. The seemingly malicious characters do their job of spying and torturing on some level because it will happily consume them too if they don't.

The best 1984 reenactment I saw was during a peaceful protest around the RNC, where the protesters were treated like terrorists. The funny thing about it was that the police, despite waddling around in full riot gear, were scared out of their minds. You could see they were terrified of the kids running around in the streets with signs, which, of course, is why they were so heavy with the pepper spray and beatings.

1984 did a really good job of describing what imbalanced power looks like when it's flexed, which is why it's the sort of thing that most middle class people who follow the rules don't really see it. They get the BNW treatment, prescribed drugs and afforded cheap cable packages to keep them docile.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 2, 2014

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Who What Now posted:

Not enough people reciting Galt's speech verbatim and from memory for your average Libertarian's liking.

Also a distict lack of open carrying going on. How they get along without the constant visual threat of force I'll never know.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Is there a constant stream of new Obama having fun pictures or is he just taking time to get offered blunts a lot this week?

I feel a lot better about the president when he's going around having a great time, even if the country is going to poo poo.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Were there any other communities online that saw MayDay.us as a scam?

Has it been proven to be a scam yet, or is it still just considered by most to be a bad idea?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

It's ok, I just reported a bunch of capitalization/spelling errors.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

paragon1 posted:

We should have one I/P thread every year but only have it open for 24 hours.

It'll be like that movie The Purge only somehow shittier and even more boring.

On the other hand, D&D debate events would be pretty cool. Formal debate is awesome and getting into it when you're not in junior high is nearly impossible.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Randler posted:

Wasn't there a debate championship where the team won that basically broke with all traditions of debate and called the whole format stupid? Because if you can win at debate by calling debate stupid that kinda makes a good point on formal debates being, in fact, stupid.

A friend of mine said his debate team got creamed because the team that went on to win the competition made a compelling case against the axiom of an absolute truth, invalidating their opponents' claims.

How can you not get off on that sort of thing?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Chantilly Say posted:

This is cool as long as my counter-argument could be to simply assert that might makes right, punch the other dude in the jaw, and declare victory.

See, this is what I'm talking about.

"As my opponent will not let me kick him repeatedly in the balls, it appears he conceeds that the material world exists and is of value. Therefore, Palestine really deserves recognition as a state."

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

RevusRangerous posted:

Do you think the Intelligence Squared debates are any good? I'm not an expert but I've like the ones I've heard. They poll the audience before and after and sometimes there are pretty significant swings.
http://intelligencesquaredus.org/

So far I've seen them more or less walk all over positions I'd disagree with to start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn0tPRjVBvw

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

paragon1 posted:

Maybe someone with a doctorate? Possibly history or some kind of social science?

Well, despite Hitchens being pretty opinionated he was also a somewhat accomplished and prolific writer, and Fry has been moonlighting from his comedian/actor/director stuff as a political activist for years. They actually did quite a good job of arguing a kind of touchy position I would have guessed untenable.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

A lot of bland loyalty in this thread.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I think I met a gay conservative yesterday, that I'm related to. Graphic designers are such idiots.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

R. Mute posted:

for real though i'd probably give half of the money to my family - enough money for my sister to pay off her house and some for my parents as a return on investment for raising me or something. the other half would be mainly cocaine and hookers, if by that i mean save/invest it, give part to charity and also buy cocaine.

Yeah, any wealth I come into goes to the debts of people I care about, and if it was a really substantial amount of money I'd buy people the properties they live in.

So about 2 million to feel like me and mine aren't constantly getting hosed. That's a pretty terrible snapshot.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

What's that thing called where you put an expert of one field into a field they know nothing about, but they still think they're hot poo poo and make a bunch of bad decisions? It's like Summers' Paradox or something.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I get that people seem to be done posting ska, but I have not yet begun to post.

It was pretty easy to run into mindless ska-pop in the 90's, but over time a pretty significant number of socially conscious bands have cropped up and released some good tracks. A small sampling of good music that didn't push the social message too hard:

The Slackers: International War Criminal
Tim Armstrong: Poets Life
The misguided (but well meaning) RX Bandits Second and Third Albums. They got progressively less ska and more political and prog rock-y as time went on (and bad, I guess).
The epitome of pop-ska, Reel Big Fish: Sell Out, which I think deserves mention as it's about upbeat nihilism in the face of the corporatization of youth culture.

Bonus: Buford O'Sullivan's Decade Revival Song, for no other reason than it's probably my favorite.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Amused to Death posted:

Last year I posted this article about the 49 year old, unemployed former pizza delivery man who lived with his mom who was of course running as the Libertarian candidate in the city's mayoral election
http://www.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/libertarian_candidate_calls_for_more_guns/

I would guess that it's his mother who lives with him, but no true captain of industry would suffer such a charitable cause.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Joementum posted:

Yesterday was the 112th birthday of the world's oldest cured ham.

So you're saying it's a slow news day.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

No, "all y'all" is just redundant. It doesn't have a distinct grammatic meaning.

It's short for "all of y'all" so is actually spelt "all'y'all".

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Unrelated, I'll be in Seattle next week. Anything I should see?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

MarsDragon posted:

Pike Place Market is worth at least a walk-through, though it's touristy as gently caress. Most food there is overpriced and awful, but Piroshki Piroshki is pretty good.

I liked the Asian Art Museum and the Volunteer Park Conservatory, both of which are conveniently close to each other and part of a nice little park. While you're there check out the Observatory, assuming you can climb up a few flights of stairs, it has a great view.

Chihuly Garden and Glass is also pretty cool. It would probably be really nice during the summer, when the sun's out.

Do you want food recs too? I have some foodie friends in Seattle and so have a massive list of good places to eat.

I'll be traveling with a bunch of foodies so I've got that covered. Those sound good, I'll probably do a lot of biking so I'll check them out. I was honestly hoping for something along the lines of a modern day Emperor Norton, apparently that was a San Francisco attraction.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

zoux posted:

My own secret conspiracy theory is that they were so sure that Saddam had WMDs because we loving gave him gas and bio weapons when he was our ally in the 80's and since basically the whole Bush cabinet were Reagan veterans they were like "look, let's just trump up some evidence, and it won't matter because when we get in there, there will mos def be WMDs because we, meaning us the people here in this room gave them to him" and then whoops, they weren't there after all.

Except for the fact chemical weapons expire.

edit: This is actually a fun rail to be on. What's everyone's pet theory for why we invaded Iraq? I'd guess it was basically an expensive area denial against Russia/China.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 29, 2014

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

mooyashi posted:

I do find it hilarious that we've come to 30-40 year olds saying "kids these days" about them doing things in the manner of their grandparents. What a time to be alive.

And another swing and miss at succinctly describing contemporary culture. T-minus four posts before someone starts dropping H bombs and talking about Brooklyn. "hipster"

edit: T-plus one.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Remember when Eminem made a song where a big angry mob went out to vote?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw4BCniDqD0

edit: After poking around it turns out it probably wasn't worth posting, Poe's law really worked against me on that one.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 30, 2014

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

MIB is still Will Smith's best movie. The third one wasn't terrible either.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

moller posted:

It's actually Six Degrees of Separation.

I would have accepted Enemy of the State.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

paragon1 posted:

The Columbia airport is a great place to take a nap.

Must be nice there. The Atlanta airport installed trash compactors in all of their garbage cans, which are ubiquitous, and go off in intervals one minute less than the time it takes to fall asleep.

Btw, gently caress you Airtran, bring back the Wendy's promotion.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

DemeaninDemon posted:

Space Jam had the best theme song.

This is true, although despite its cultural relevance it wasn't quite the tour de force that Who Framed Roger Rabbit was.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I'm not familiar with Truth and Reconciliation commissions but Obama's statements made me think of them.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Hedera Helix posted:

Move to Portland if you already have employment lined up, and would support water fluoridation if it were to be brought up again in the future.

It won't be, and there are no jobs.

edit: also, if you have kids, they need to be vaccinated because herd immunity has collapsed here

Seattle is like Portland in that it's forward thinking and veg friendly, but there are also jobs and people who grew out of being a teenager. You could probably eat out all three meals for a week in Seattle, while vegetarian, and not go to the same place twice.

Although I'd recommend going to Yard House at least twice in that week.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I can't wait to see Romney vs Clinton. Hillary will not take his bullshit.

edit: This is where I lost it-

Joementum posted:

“I can be slain by no man,” Romney bellows, breath of rot and sulfur. Hillary Clinton raises her sword. “I am no man!”

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Mauser posted:

I have a hard time believing that a a high ranking Democrat is a racist and has a sense of humor.

I think there's a craft to getting the opposing base riled up with stupid complaints that make them sound dumb or childish. See Ted Cruz re: Green Eggs and Ham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I'm actually kind of glad the I/P thread is closed for a bit.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 5, 2014

• Locked thread