Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was 5 days a reasonable time
No I would notice immediatly
No I would notice in a day or 2 that I had not seen the deceased
Yes that is a good response time and probably the average
I would pretend nothing was amiss and hopefully they would just rot into a soup
I live alone and doubt anyone would notice MY death
Goku is my housemate
View Results

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
In my experience dead bodies smell like a mixture of un-sweetened chocolate and metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

You have no experience with dead bodies.

What would you describe it as? THen again you're kind of right. I've never been around a freshly dead body but I have been around their leavings for a lack of a better word. The oils, fat, slush, feces that they leave behind. So it is possible I missed out on the good stuff when it comes to smells.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Shithouse Dave posted:

Do dead people smell like that sweet-but-fermenty smell that a rotting woodland creature in the forest does?

"Sweet-but-fermenty" is actually a much more accurate way than I put it. First time I smelled it though all I could think of was un-sweetened chocolate for some reason. I have a friend who compares it to rotting peaches.

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

So your an undertaker?

I used to work at a cemetary. Mainly cutting grass but we'd occasionally do an exhumation. But I never really smelled anything there. I did however work for about a year with a Bio-Hazard clean up company and while we mainly did horder houses there was a lot of sucides and unattended deaths which is where I picked up on the smell.

FrumpleOrz posted:

It had to have smelled really bad, right? Like unimaginably bad living in the same small area. I remember when someone died in the apartment building I was living in and it was on the other side of the building but I could still smell that awful odor for a while before I found out it was a dead guy. I can't imagine being in the same living space with that smell for even a little while.

Eh, I find it's more mental than anything else. It doesn't quite smell horrible but when you know it's a dead body your brain goes into over load.

I once went into an unattended death in an apartment. We have re-breathers on but we'd do a "sniff" test where we take them off take a wiff and see how bad it had seeped in. It was one of the cleaner jobs we had to clean but one of the maintence guys of the apartment took a step in, ran out and started puking.

• Locked thread