Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Problem description: Last Friday (27th June), I experienced a crash then unfamiliar to me. I was playing Borderlands 2 with a friend when, without warning, both monitors went black, but stayed lit. All sound stopped, and according to said friend the game (which I was hosting) dropped immediately and I went offline on Steam and Skype and such. I immediately worried it was a graphics issue and ceased playing BL2. Later that night it happened again while playing a different game, and I gave up and went to sleep. On Saturday it occurred three more times, all while playing the same game. While attempting to track down the problem, a sixth crash occurred, this time with the left monitor covered in grey and white vertical bars and the right lit black, otherwise identical to the previous crash. At this point I assumed the card was KIA and began the XFX RMA process, and they've yet to get back to me. I've experienced several crashes trying to limp the computer along since, one with one white and one black monitor, one with grey and black horizontal bars on one monitor with the other black, and a couple more black/black.

This card was borderline defective its whole life. It has had problems with driver crashes before but it's never brought down the whole system like this. I think a real solution isn't realistic to seek at this point but some sort of band-aid for the issues this card has would be nice.

Attempted fixes: Upgraded drivers, downgraded drivers, dusted thoroughly with air duster, removed card and dusted further, reinstalled card, dusted some more, ran in safe mode (no crash yet), cried, prayed. Ancient 11.3 drivers were my best try, but it seems any AMD drivers kill it. Still working in safe mode, but that comes with the downsides of being in safe mode.

Recent changes: Moved to 14.6 Beta Catalyst Control Center a while ago? I haven't changed much at all which is kind of why I'm stumped.
--

Operating system: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

System specs: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T processor, ASUS Crosshair IV Formula mobo, 8GB OCZ RAM, Corsair 850W PSU, and the problem child, XFX Radeon HD 6970 hooked to two Dell SE19WFP monitors via DVI.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Safely sent out for RMA a lot sooner than expected, feel free to ignore this dumb thread.

Also quoted instead of editing because I am a fat-fingered idiot posting from my phone.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 30, 2014

• Locked thread