Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
The liberal party wants to strip the mentally ill of welfare benefits because it's super, duper easy to find employment which is in sync with the ebb and flow of psychic distress. People under the age of 30 will need to fend for themselves and subsist on food stamps if they cannot find employment. The LNP wants to send people back where the came from if they a have a < 50% chance of being tortured to death once they return. The LNP is aggressively implementing a broad policy of climate change denial.

Seriously. The above is not the theoretical ravings of a minor party. It's the policy of our government. I want to loving die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

i got banned posted:

Well hurry up and die if you don't pay taxes mate. Welcome to the future.

Don't even joke about poo poo poo poo man!!!!!

Fuuuuuuuuck!! AAAAAAHhhhhhh!!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

This is a good-rear end gif

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I really have no idea if I should be optimistic about the poll numbers staying good until the next election.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

God this poo poo makes me angry

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...0701-zssnn.html

So you have a boat full of people claiming to be Tamil asylum seekers coming to Australia. Do you:

a. Rescue them and take them for processing
b. Hand them over to the Sri Lankan navy who are part of the government that Tamils are fleeing from

Holy poo poo. This is beyond the pale.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Teddy Tavern is an excellent video game and I won't hear a word against it, fucker

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

^^^^^Primo Post^^^^^^

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

A message from Prime Minister Morrison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s0EqwMJwD0

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SvnJDq5s0Y

You know you've hosed up when Dicko hates you

Whoa. I now like dicko. Thanks a lot rear end in a top hat

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Is this a particularly horrible media cycle? I'm finding this latest batch of horror particularly depressing, I'm finding it EXTREMELY difficult not to quit my job and withdraw to oblivion.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Captain Pissweak posted:

I was watching the video going "wow this is actually good and not at all bad *camera pans over Hildebrand* but it will end being that way".

Same. Literally the exact same thing happened in my head IRL

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

All of the labor voters I know are in constant sincere apology mode.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Racist train lady is now a bona fide media sensation.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2014/07/03/12/18/racist-sydney-train-rant-woman-apologises-to-innocent-victim

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...0706-3bgjc.html

quote:

HECS-style loan flagged as an alternative to paid parental leave scheme
Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme looks unlikely to pass the Senate in its current form, but a prominent free market think tank has come up with a compromise: give parents a HECS-style loan to fund the 26 weeks of parental leave instead.

In a report released on Monday, the Centre for Independent Studies will call for what it argues is a fairer and less expensive paid parental leave policy.

The CIS wants parents to have the option of a loan equal to the pre-baby wages of the primary carer, up to the Coalition's income cap of $100,000 a year, for 26 weeks.

All but $5000 of the loan would need to be repaid once parents were working again and meeting the minimum wage.

This would allow them to ''self-finance'' parental leave, according to report author Matthew Taylor.

Hell yeah. Make everything a loan! More personal debt, spew it all over the place!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Better yet, why not loan the money to the child? That way they can pay their own way into society.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Gough Suppressant posted:

Sri Lankan navy confirms 41 refugees handed to them by Australia will be given to criminal investigators.

gently caress.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Negligent posted:

Being desparate enough to break the law doesn't give their asylum claim more merit than people who do the right thing.

Agreed, they should accept their lot and submit to torture and death. The Law is the Law.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 7, 2014

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Background Briefing did a fantastic in depth story on the axing of the charities watchdog. Radio National is so good in general, nowhere else goes in depth they way they do

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/backgroundbriefing/2014-07-06/5562744

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Captain Pissweak posted:

Isn't it too late for this? I was under the impression that they washed their hands of them immediately and just got straight to handing them back over.

Forty one have already been handed over. No one knows where the other 153 are because the Government refuses to tell us.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Negligent posted:

australia doesnt even have capacity to eradicate poverty and homelessness within its existing population

Yep, and the reason for that is selfish, uncharitable assholes like you.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/07/us-sri-lanka-australia-idUSKBN0FC00N20140707

quote:

Sri Lanka asylum seekers returned by Australia face 'rigorous imprisonment'

Forty-one Sri Lankan asylum seekers returned by Australia are to be charged with leaving the country illegally and those found guilty face "rigorous imprisonment", police said on Monday, fuelling concerns about Australian policy and rights abuses in Sri Lanka.

Australia said the 41 were transferred to Sri Lankan authorities at sea on Sunday, but declined to comment on a second boat reported to be carrying an additional 153, saying only that it was not currently in Australian waters.

Australian border patrol personnel intercepted the first vessel carrying 41 Sri Lankans west of the remote Cocos Islands last week, after they were suspected of entering Australian waters illegally.

Australia declined to give details of how the group was transported back to the site of the transfer, which Australia said was off the eastern Sri Lankan port of Batticaloa.

The Sri Lankan navy handed the group to the police and police spokesman Ajith Rohana said they would be produced before a court in the southwestern port of Galle. He did not say when.

"Everybody will be produced before the Galle magistrate," he told Reuters. "They will be charged under the Immigrants and Emigrants Act. The sentence for those proved to have left illegally is two years of rigorous imprisonment and a fine.

Feel proud, everyone.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Lol at the phrase "attempting to hold us over a moral barrel"

Heh, your "morals" are of no concern to Aussies! I see through your tricks.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Wow. Gotta give the guy some credit. This really does seem like a principled stand based on personal ideals.

I'll be interested to see how long he can hold that line in the face of political pressure in the senate.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

John Madigan? WTF?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Quantum Mechanic posted:

It saves the CT temporarily. This is the time when we goonrush his office with flowery explosive praise for saving the carbon price and hoping that he will continue his principled and thoughtful stance for Australia's future

Yeah someone needs to be massaging this guy's ego over this, now.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

norp posted:

Well since labor are going to support it there really isn't any opposition.

What?

Are Labor really supporting the welfare changes?!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

The only thing I can find is that they support cutting off youth allowance while students travel overseas

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Even family first are against the 6 month waiting period for under 30s.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

quote:

Less than a fortnight after the federal government announced that from 2015, people up to 30 years old will have to wait six months for an unemployment benefit, Mr Andrews showed little patience for Labor's criticism it was the ''single most heartless measure'' in the budget.

Pretty sure Labor aren't supporting it guys.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Those On My Left posted:

Palmer's giving a press conference saying his senators are going to vote against the repeal of the carbon tax.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/10/carbon-tax-repeal-gets-senate-vote-politics-live

Oh my god

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Kim Jong ill posted:

What a blundering loving idiot. Forget for a second the endless list of atrocities committed by the Japanese against our neighbours, how about you know, the treatment of Australian servicemen on the Burma Railway or the Sandakan Death Marches?

Holy loving poo poo.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Seriously what the loving gently caress is wrong with that man

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...0709-zt1rf.html

quote:

Australia will stand up to China to defend peace, liberal values and the rule of law, says Foreign Minister Julie Bishop.

In the Coalition government’s clearest statement yet on how to handle China, Ms Bishop said it had been a mistake for previous governments to avoid speaking about China for fear of causing offence.

Australia's Prime Minister Tony Abbott and his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe are pictured as they arrive to tour the Rio Tinto West Angelas iron ore mine in the Pilbara, Western Australia.
Australia's Prime Minister Tony Abbott and his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe arrive to tour the Rio Tinto West Angelas iron ore mine. Photo: Reuters
"China doesn’t respect weakness," Ms Bishop told Fairfax Media, marking a break from the policies of previous governments whose reticence, she said, had only caused confusion.

What on earth do these idiots think they're doing? This poo poo seems reckless.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

This is so funny. The Abbott government is going to be continually crippled by this senate.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hooman posted:

:siren: CARBON TAX REPEAL BLOCKED :siren:

This is the best

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

:lol:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Those On My Left posted:

Where did you get this?

Someone posted it on twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I still can't get over the Japan thing. It really is probably the worst thing he's ever said.

• Locked thread