Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Has negligent posted since the argument? I hope he's ok even though he's thick as two short planks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

He's still on probation.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Oh nvm he's on probation.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Those On My Left posted:

He didn't saved it, he just kept the vote from being held until more debate has occurred.

Meanwhile, let me tell you what enhanced screening means:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/24415200/returned-sri-lanka-migrants-vent-fury-at-australia/

So here's what I want to know from shitfucks like Negligent. If you're so sure that these people are economic migrants, if you so sure they don't deserve protection and aren't real refugees, why are you so scared of properly processing their claims?

The enhancement is that the screen they use is so dense no one gets through.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Hypation posted:

Procedural motions can be tricky: A vote on the motion to call a vote to repeal an act ... Ummm, yeah well I want No Carbon Tax - so I vote "nay".

Wait ... what just happened?

Apparently Muir has said he supports renewable energy, so it might not be this.

On the other hand, if it WAS a mistake, nothing says we can't convince him to keep making it.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
If he truly didn't understand what a motion was someone would have explained it to him. It sounds like Xenophon made his case and Muir bought it, and actually wants to do a good job.

Like of all the people to play silly buggers and not pay attention in the senate, the non-professional politicians aren't my first bet.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 9, 2014

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies
Hi I'm super lazy and can't find any quick info on cost of on- vs off-shore processing of refugees, can anyone help me out here?

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
On shore bad, off shore worse.

Community good.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

hawaiian_robot posted:

Hi I'm super lazy and can't find any quick info on cost of on- vs off-shore processing of refugees, can anyone help me out here?

Graph is here: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/05/07/budget-factbox-immigration-detention-centres

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Apparently Muir has said he supports renewable energy, so it might not be this.

On the other hand, if it WAS a mistake, nothing says we can't convince him to keep making it.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...0709-3bmqg.html

Looks like he's still going to kill off the CT but now gets to keep the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (but supports cutting all its funding???).

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

quote:

"They gave me a phone to speak with someone I did not know," said Nilantha, a former shop owner. "I could not understand the language and the line was also very bad. I never had an opportunity to tell them what I wanted."

He was a shop owner, therefore he can't have been poor or desperate or in any way vulnerable and as such is an economic migrant.

(the above is sarcasm and/or represents an uninformed opinion.)

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

tyvm!

Smegmatron posted:

On shore bad, off shore worse.

Community good.
Yeah but some people start trotting out "well the nation's finances are bad" and "how many do you have in your home" etc, you need to beat them down with numbers

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
Muir might just be a good case study in the benefits of getting actual poo poo throwers into Parliament, as opposed to those still throwing undergraduate level student politics poo poo decades after they left University.

In other news, Emperor Barnett still a smug condescending grub:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/24414983/barnett-wa-grumpy-with-us/

quote:

Premier Colin Barnett believes West Australians are grumpy with his Government after a luckless period in which "relatively insignificant" issues have accumulated to cause him political headaches.

And he is annoyed about his "Emperor" tag, saying it was "disrespectful" to the office of the Premier and "belittled" WA on the international stage.

Mr Barnett, who will meet Prime Minister Tony Abbott and his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe in the Pilbara today, made the comments yesterday during what he termed a "warts-and-all assessment" of the state of politics to the 500 Club, the influential business group that supports the Liberal Party.

"I think it's fair to say in the community there is a fair degree of grumpiness at the moment," he said.

"When you're in a second term, issues that might seem to be relatively insignificant add up. They are cumulative.

"We've got grumpy pensioners over pension concessions and entitlements, a number of grumpy people over the price of housing or the cost of living. We've got people grumpy over sharks. We've got people grumpy over MP pay rises, even though they were broadly inflation, but that doesn't seem to matter."

Mr Barnett acknowledged the Liberal brand was "a little diminished. It's not at the high it was a year ago".

He also gave his firmest comments yet on the future leadership of the party, indicating that he had made it crystal clear to his colleagues that every ministerial position - including his own as Premier - should be definitively resolved one year out from the next election, set for March 2017.

The comments mean that if Mr Barnett remains Premier after March 2016, he intends to lead the party to the next election.

The date also presumably looms for his deputy Kim Hames, who has indicated he intends to retire in 2017, to stand down from Cabinet.

Dr Hames told _The West Australian _ last week he loved being Health Minister and had no plans to stand down.

"I've told my colleagues that I will want and I will expect that the Cabinet team will be in place approximately a year out from the election, including the leadership," Mr Barnett said yesterday.

"If there is a matter of succession of leadership, that also will be in place. We will go in fully prepared (for the election)."

Mr Barnett said critics who accused the Government of lacking appetite for reform were "naive and misinformed". He cited slashing the backlog of mining approvals, deregulating trading hours and the $9 billion capital works program in health as evidence.

He said the Government had a strong team.

Labor, which needs a 9 per cent swing or nine seats, faced a "tough ask" to win power in 2017, and Mr Barnett said he was "confident, all going well, we will deliver a third term (victory)".

Opposition Leader Mark McGowan said last night that "Mr Barnett's comments show again just how out of touch he really is and that he has one eye on retirement".

Mr Barnett tackled head-on accusations from critics that he was running the State like an emperor. "Our opponents talk about broken promises: they're getting a bit of mileage on that," he said.

"They call me the Emperor. I can laugh, too, at a joke, and I've got a thick skin. But grow up, Western Australia.

"While it doesn't offend me personally, to use the term emperor to the Premier of WA is disrespectful to the position, not the person, and it belittles WA internationally.

"It's time to move on and display the sophistication, poise and confidence this State has."

He'd take out the prize for it, were not not for Tim "Most Punchable Face Ever" Wilson.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Let's note something here. My wife works at a motel. It's fairly nice for a small town motel, all things considered. You get your own shower and bathroom, TV, your own bed and 1 meal a day, along with laundry and cleaning service. It costs $92/day to stay at this motel, depending on the room - $33,580 a year.

You could literally put up more than ten asylum seekers at this motel for the cost of keeping one in offshore detention.

Let me reiterate

It costs ten times more to throw asylum seekers in offshore detention camps than it does to give them a room at a motel

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

hawaiian_robot posted:

tyvm!

Yeah but some people start trotting out "well the nation's finances are bad" and "how many do you have in your home" etc, you need to beat them down with numbers

Ask them who contributes more to the economy; a taxpayer or a detainee.

If they say refugees are dole bludgers then it's on them to prove it.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

It costs ten times more to throw asylum seekers in offshore detention camps than it does to give them a room at a motel

Yes, but it's the principle of the thing mate, they wouldn't be suffering if we put them in a motel, what kind of deterrent would that be to BOTES

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Smegmatron posted:

Except the Aus govt doesn't allow refugees to gain work here and pay taxes.

Because something something brown tide?

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

Smegmatron posted:

I'm gathering all this info for a mate, a guy he knows is saying poo poo like "taking the place of other people in the queue," "economic migrants" and so on.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

hooman posted:

Except the Aus govt doesn't allow refugees to gain work here and pay taxes.

Because something something brown tide?

It isn't about the current situation. It's about using idiotic notions of economic rationalism to get racists to understand that they're racist and that's bad.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Mattjpwns posted:

Muir might just be a good case study in the benefits of getting actual poo poo throwers into Parliament, as opposed to those still throwing undergraduate level student politics poo poo decades after they left University.

In other news, Emperor Barnett still a smug condescending grub:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/24414983/barnett-wa-grumpy-with-us/

He'd take out the prize for it, were not not for Tim "Most Punchable Face Ever" Wilson.

It's almost as if consistently breaking promises and screwing over voters would have a negative effect on your popularity??

Surprising, I know.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Murodese posted:

It's almost as if consistently breaking promises and screwing over voters would have a negative effect on your popularity??

Surprising, I know.

But you guys, my vanity projects! Like the foreshore! TOURISM!!! *fucks over everything else*

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

The Kwinana freeway travelling south has been in constant traffic jam around south street for a few years now. I can't help but feel Barnett is somewhat responsible for it.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

Fruity Gordo posted:

Has negligent posted since the argument? I hope he's ok even though he's thick as two short planks.

Maybe he's IWC?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Mad Katter posted:

Warren Bebbington is a big free market worshiping baby having a tantrum because he can't have his free market deregulation cake and eat the government subsidies too. What kind of idiot would ever believe the Liberals cared about quality of education?

I don't know where he gets his figures from in this article, but they don't seem right to me. It contradicts everything I have ever heard about the higher education system in the United States. Why is he campaigning so hard for deregulation if all the universities want to do is hand the money back to students through scholarships and financial aid?

It would be great if someone could have a look at the graduate debt figured that he provides. Are the figures low because he is including community colleges? Can someone from the States comment on the quality of these institutions and whether or not they're comparable to the universities here in Australia?

This article is from the Australian, not linked for obvious reasons.

Most of why this is bullshit has already been covered but many top universities actually require first year students to live on campus and buy meal plans. So even if you live in the same city as one of America's best universities you are still committing to at least two semesters of gouging based on room and board.

It's funny too that they mentioned Carleton, since I applied to and was accepted there back when I was applying to college. I even got financial aid! But, even with the scholarship, out of state tuition at a public university of comparable (??? I thought so at the time anyway, who the hell knows) quality was still quite a bit cheaper, so I went there instead. That I didn't get a full ride is indicative that I come from a well off family but higher education costs in the US are such that unless you have gently caress off money, the cost of university is going to influence where you go. It's not a good system. Don't be like us.

e: I think the school I went to required first and second year students to live on campus, so, hahaha it is massively dishonest to exclude room and board costs from how expensive higher education is

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
We have become world leaders, champions!

... in recreational drug use.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...v-1226980456570

:australia: :australia: :australia:

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Countdown to the big new war on drugs!

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Palmersaurus posted:

Countdown to the big new war on drugs!

... until they realise that 3/4 of industry is on them and that productivity tanks without it, then it's industry subsidy time and people claiming their meth on tax.

OPEN FOR BUSINESS!!!! NO, THAT DOESN'T INCLUDE YOU BUGS UNDER MY SKIN, GET OUT

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 9, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Fruity Gordo posted:

I hope he killed himself because he is literal human filth.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Let's note something here. My wife works at a motel. It's fairly nice for a small town motel, all things considered. You get your own shower and bathroom, TV, your own bed and 1 meal a day, along with laundry and cleaning service. It costs $92/day to stay at this motel, depending on the room - $33,580 a year.

You could literally put up more than ten asylum seekers at this motel for the cost of keeping one in offshore detention.

Let me reiterate

You probably have to slip a pretty hefty bribe to the manager in order to set up a no questions asked torture dungeon in a motel room though.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Les Affaires posted:

Hanlon's razor also supports this.

What about Helen Razer?

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Gough Suppressant posted:

What about Helen Razer?

Who gives a poo poo what she thinks? She doesn't know herself, she just coughs forth something vaguely controversial and subsides, her work done.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Helen's Razor would be something like: "you shouldn't even worry about an explanation until you've read more books you stupid c@#&"

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Haters Objector posted:

Helen's Razor would be something like: "you shouldn't even worry about an explanation until you've read more books you stupid c@#&"

It would also need to name check Foucault or some poo poo

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

The immigration department was warned that self-harm among asylum seekers in detention – particularly on Christmas Island – had surged since the introduction of mandatory offshore resettlement and would continue to do so, Guardian Australia can reveal.

A leaked, confidential report by Serco – the security company managing all immigration detention centres in Australia – also shows the extraordinary measures being undertaken to tighten security in the detention network, borrowing from military practise and those used by Asio, and the relaxed regulation of the use of force.

The report contains previously unseen statistics showing that the rate of self-harm among asylum seekers was six times higher by January 2014 than in July last year, when the former prime minister Kevin Rudd introduced the so-called “PNG solution”.

Jesus christ. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/09/self-harm-asylum-seekers-detention-surged-serco-report

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SadisTech posted:

It would also need to name check Foucault or some poo poo

and some obscure early 90s grunge band.

Foundry Dancer
Apr 21, 2005
The current justification for cutting welfare, particularly the not paying of Newstart for six months, is that people are unemployed because they aren't trying hard enough to get a job. Therefore, the argument goes, if these unemployed people are punished incentivised then they will stop being lazy and try harder to get a job. On the other hand, we have reality, in which there are something like five unemployed people for every available job vacancy, so you can incentivise to your hearts content but it ain't gonna make a difference. I'm sure I haven't heard this line of argument being voiced by any of the opposition and friends. Am I too naive to hope it could happen? Or even make a difference?

Eva Cox at The Conversation posted:

The welfare policy shift seems to be based on a more individualised view of unemployment rather than a social or structural analysis. The faults are seen as being on the supply side of labour, not with the lower demand for labour generally. Unemployment is assumed to be the result of problematic job seekers who fail to get a job and/or live disordered lives.

Policy makers should be aware that there are, at least, five unemployed job seekers for every official job vacancy. The official Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) count excludes job changers or non-active seekers willing to take one, so the ratio of job competitors to jobs could be twice as high. This means the chances of success are very limited, particularly for those who are not well qualified, lack recent experience or encounter employer prejudices.

Foundry Dancer fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 9, 2014

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Well since labor are going to support it there really isn't any opposition.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

norp posted:

Well since labor are going to support it there really isn't any opposition.

What?

Are Labor really supporting the welfare changes?!

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Amethyst posted:

What?

Are Labor really supporting the welfare changes?!

They don't want to look soft on welfare cheats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
The only thing I can find is that they support cutting off youth allowance while students travel overseas

• Locked thread