Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Hello and welcome to the rewritten MATCHDAY THREAD! Today we'll have two tasty games, pitting Europe against Africa. And Europe will win.

Today's first game is France vs. Nigeria.

France have gad a great World Cup and they are shaping up to be one of the contenders to win everything, a sharp contrast to how they looked before the cup. Deschamps has successfully capitalized on the team's strengths, and the victories against Honduras and Switzerland have given the team a tremendous moral boost. Valbuena's had a great cup, and Pogba has done a good job in the midfield. While some of you may still remember the 0-0 tie against Ecuador, the prospect of France playing like that is not really high, as they tried an alternative formation and attack. France will probably play like they did against Switzerland, with probably the following lineup: Lloris, Debuchy, Varane, Koscielny, Evra, Pogba/Sissoko, Cabaye, Matuidi, Valbuena, Benzema, Griezmann/Giroud.
Nigeria, on the other hand, have been pretty bad. Enyeama has been their best player so far. The game against Argentina did show they can score goals, but I don't see them going through this game. That's it. Their lineup will probably be: Enyeama, Ambrose, Yobo, Omeruo, Oshaniwa, Onazi, Obi Mikel, Musa, Odemwingie, Moses, Emenike.

The second game of the day will be Germany vs. Algeria

Germany are a strong team and Algeria are not. There won't be an upset. Algeria are holding on to the memory of 1982, but that won't be enough to stop Müller from scoring. Sure, the Algerians play a defensive game and will be able to contain some of the German attacks, but they won't have a big chance to succeed in the attack. If you're thinking Ramadan will affect the Algerian players though, you're silly, as it's been kept as a private matter and they can still eat through the night (by the way, the French players are postponing their Ramadan).
The German lineup will probably be Neuer, J. Boateng, Mertesacker, Hummels, Höwedes, Schweinsteiger, Lahm, Kroos, Özil, Müller, Götze.
The Algerian lineup will probably be: M'Bolhi, Mandi, Bougherra, Halliche, Mesbah, Medjani, Bentaleb, Feghouli, Brahimi, Djabou, Slimani.

The round of 16 so far:

That's it. Go ahead. Play the posting game and enjoy the football. It's football. It's the World Cup. And what a World Cup.

Paris will count with 25000 policemen to control riots after both football games. Let's hope the World Cup mods can do the same for this MDT.

advanced statsman fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Nigeria are going to win today.

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!

Chris de Sperg posted:

This but the opposite.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
6/25/1982 NEVER FORGET

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

All France's good players are on Ramadantech and Nigeria is strong, united, sensual. Mark it down - Nigeria to win 2-0 off Odemwingie's only touch of the game and Emenike physically and psychologically dominating Varane so hard all the way to the basket that he'll make like Frederic Weis.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Chris de Sperg posted:

All France's good players are on Ramadantech and Nigeria is strong, united, sensual. Mark it down - Nigeria to win 2-0 off Odemwingie's only touch of the game and Emenike physically and psychologically dominating Varane so hard all the way to the basket that he'll make like Frederic Weis.

they are not on Ramadan you idiot, they're postponing it.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Uhm... *tugs collar nervously*

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

tetsman posted:

they are not on Ramadan you idiot, they're postponing it.
All my Muslim friends are Facebooking and tweeting and such about Ramadan starting now I think Ramadan is definitely going ahead tbh it's not like an amateur theatre production

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Chris de Sperg posted:

All my Muslim friends are Facebooking and tweeting and such about Ramadan starting now I think Ramadan is definitely going ahead tbh it's not like an amateur theatre production

Yes it starts, but the athletes are all going: "Hmm, I guess I'll wait a couple of weeks and then do the Ramadan so I can run around in the heat and kick balls without fainting."

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Chris de Sperg posted:

You can postpone Ramadan if you are sick, traveling or forced to work hard and some of the French players will most likely start after this game or who knows when

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

beedeebee posted:

Yes it starts, but the athletes are all going: "Hmm, I guess I'll wait a couple of weeks and then do the Ramadan so I can run around in the heat and kick balls without fainting."

tetsman posted:

You can postpone Ramadan if you are sick, traveling or forced to work hard and some of the French players will most likely start after the world cup
I suppose we'll see tonight how devoted the French players are. Insha'Allah.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
the Nigerians have also a number of Muslim players in the team

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
No pictures of Paris or Marseille on fire despite its relevance to both games. Tu fais quoi tetsman?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

France x Nigeria

Ref: Mark GEIGER (USA)
AR1: Sean Mark HURD (USA)
AR2: Joe FLETCHER (CAN)
4th: Alireza FAGHANI (IRN)
RAR: Hassan KAMRANIFAR (IRN)

Mark "MLS" Geiger will have his eyes set on being part of American team in a World Cup semi-final for the first time since 1930 when he goes to do work today. Geiger has taken charge of Colombia x Greece and Spain x Chile and has looked excellent. Obviously I'd love to see him get the Final, but I don't think FIFA is going to be putting an American on that any time soon. Still, I think a semi-final is a realistic assignment if he performs well here. There are a handful of referees that haven't had a bad game yet (and then Irmatov, who Argentina told FIFA to take off their game tomorrow allegedly, will be in the mix for some unknown reason) so this could also be his final match at this World Cup. If so, he will have shown that he is, in fact, A Good Referee. And then he will probably bottle a big decision in his first MLS match after this which will erase all of the goodwill he has built for himself. The circle of life for referees. Also USA + Iran crew is pretty cool imo

Germany x Algeria

Referee: Sandro RICCI (BRA)
AR1: Emerson DE CARVALHO (BRA)
AR2: Marcelo VAN GASSE (BRA)
4th: Walter LOPEZ (GUA)
RAR: Leonel LEAL (CRC)

Ricci has been in charge of France x Honduras and Germany x Ghana so far. Seeing Germany in back to back games for him is a little weird. All the same, I think Ricci is in the above pool of guys who have had fine World Cups from what FIFA wants out of the games (for instance, while I personally think Eriksson was garbage in USA x Ghana, I'd bet that performance is exactly what FIFA wanted and was pleased with), so if Brazil go out to Colombia then Ricci will probably end up on a semi-final.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tetsman posted:

the Nigerians have also a number of Muslim players in the team

Big Shola's time to shine

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

mrg220t posted:

This but the opposite.

Agreed, the win is going Nigerian.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Procol Haram kidnapped those schoolgirls for Ribery's pleasure

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 30, 2014

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
اليوم هو اليوم الأول من أجل مسلم جديد! ونحن سوف سحق الملاعين الخنازير في لعبتهم. تحيا الجزائر والموت للغرب! كما اسمحوا لي كذلك أن ملاحظه جوزي هو الأبله الدهون وأنا أكرهه.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

tbp posted:

اليوم هو اليوم الأول من أجل مسلم جديد! ونحن سوف سحق الملاعين الخنازير في لعبتهم. تحيا الجزائر والموت للغرب! كما اسمحوا لي كذلك أن ملاحظه جوزي هو الأبله الدهون وأنا أكرهه.

inshallah

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

tbp posted:

he is

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Ramadan started yesterday, however

tetsman posted:

You can postpone Ramadan if you are sick, traveling or forced to work hard and some of the French players will most likely start after this game or who knows when

Some people will persistently fast through football etc. (Yaya toure) but that doesn't happen too often.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

tbp posted:

I ملاحظهd yer mam last night

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Will Ozil be fasting

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

France - Germany ought to be entertaining.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

Kurtofan posted:

Will Ozil be fasting

He said he is also post poning it.

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Will Ozil be fasting

Read tetsmans post and swap "french" for any country that has a muslim player of your preference

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
religion is loving stupid

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

manchego posted:

*tips fedora*

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

tetsman posted:

*tips fedora*

m'koran

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
Benzema, Pogba, Sagna and Sissoko are delaying their Ramadan because they're currently abroad, and as such can be considered as travelers; travelers are allowed to postpone their Ramadan.

efb;

Hashtag Nascar posted:

Ramadan started yesterday, however

Some people will persistently fast through football etc. (Yaya toure) but that doesn't happen too often.

Yaya Toure declared to The National that he wouldn't fast actually.

pylb fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 30, 2014

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

manchego posted:

Let's not open up a can of worms, yeah. Mod warning: keep all religion chat relevant to the footy I.e. wondering cluelessly who is fasting and who is not.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Chris de Sperg posted:

Well, with the Fench national side you can never really know if you're going to get the heirs of Platini and Zidane or eleven clowns in search of a clown car, but Deschamps seems to have them well in hand so I'm going to hope for the former. France will crush Nigeria like a colonial uprising. 3-0.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

shadok posted:

Well, with the Fench national side you can never really know if you're going to get the heirs of Platini and Zidane or eleven clowns in search of a clown car, but Deschamps seems to have them well in hand so I'm going to hope for the former. France will crush Nigeria like a colonial uprising. 3-0.
France have looked too good up until now, and any future loss won't be that embarassing since they'll face Germany in the quarters and you can't lose sufficiently embarassingly in the semis or final. Nigeria will take care of business here, before it's too late.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
The only people who think France will lose are self-loathing banlieue residents. Not even Nigerians think it will happen.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
is that two star trek avs in two days for shadok

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Looking forward to both of my sweepstakes teams going through today. Feeling strong, confident

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

tetsman posted:

The only people who think France will lose are self-loathing banlieue residents. Not even Nigerians think it will happen.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
As a proud Canadian I will be cheering for Assistant Referee Joe Fletcher in today's matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Blackface is bad mmkay

• Locked thread