Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/06/20/national-post-editorial-board-in-celebration-of-joe-fletcher-canadian-soccer-icon/

Today's France-Nigeria match brought to you by Canadian soccer icon, assistant referee Joe Fletcher

quote:

Given the dodgy nature of the soccer world, it must be nice for people on both teams to know that a straight shooter such as Joe, an accredited accountant from one of the least corrupt nations in the world, is patrolling the sidelines.

Uhuh.

quote:

Joe provides services to local Canadian Tire Dealers. He also “has extensive knowledge of Canadian Tire Store operations.”

Oh yeah?

quote:

Like most Canadians, Joe is not a flashy guy. No matter how many great calls he makes at the World Cup, you will never see him remove his shirt, or dance.

:canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Dirk Pitt posted:

I let out a good laugh here.

Is this a Canadian troll article? Jesus this is brilliant.

quote:

But for those who know he’s there, his presence on the Wold Cup[sic] sidelines provides a potent symbol of Canada’s defining qualities: honesty, incorruptibility, a penchant for following rules, and a healthy respect for life’s “boundaries.” Even when Canadians cannot usefully compete in a given sport — or, as global citizens, choose en masse to compete for other nations — out reputation as honest brokers in world affairs makes us the perfect sporting adjudicators.

In these very Canadian ways, we are all Joe Fletcher. When he raises his offside flag, he raises a nation as well.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

Dirk Pitt posted:

Alright, I am laughing pretty hard. Is this for real or some Canadians gag website?

Both but it's not satire

• Locked thread