Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

France x Nigeria

Ref: Mark GEIGER (USA)
AR1: Sean Mark HURD (USA)
AR2: Joe FLETCHER (CAN)
4th: Alireza FAGHANI (IRN)
RAR: Hassan KAMRANIFAR (IRN)

Mark "MLS" Geiger will have his eyes set on being part of American team in a World Cup semi-final for the first time since 1930 when he goes to do work today. Geiger has taken charge of Colombia x Greece and Spain x Chile and has looked excellent. Obviously I'd love to see him get the Final, but I don't think FIFA is going to be putting an American on that any time soon. Still, I think a semi-final is a realistic assignment if he performs well here. There are a handful of referees that haven't had a bad game yet (and then Irmatov, who Argentina told FIFA to take off their game tomorrow allegedly, will be in the mix for some unknown reason) so this could also be his final match at this World Cup. If so, he will have shown that he is, in fact, A Good Referee. And then he will probably bottle a big decision in his first MLS match after this which will erase all of the goodwill he has built for himself. The circle of life for referees. Also USA + Iran crew is pretty cool imo

Germany x Algeria

Referee: Sandro RICCI (BRA)
AR1: Emerson DE CARVALHO (BRA)
AR2: Marcelo VAN GASSE (BRA)
4th: Walter LOPEZ (GUA)
RAR: Leonel LEAL (CRC)

Ricci has been in charge of France x Honduras and Germany x Ghana so far. Seeing Germany in back to back games for him is a little weird. All the same, I think Ricci is in the above pool of guys who have had fine World Cups from what FIFA wants out of the games (for instance, while I personally think Eriksson was garbage in USA x Ghana, I'd bet that performance is exactly what FIFA wanted and was pleased with), so if Brazil go out to Colombia then Ricci will probably end up on a semi-final.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

vyelkin posted:

YEAH JOE FLETCHER YOU RAISE THAT FLAG :canada::canada::canada::canada::canada::canada::canada::canada::canada:

Very good mechanics imo

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

GreenLight posted:

Thats why FIFA changed Nigerias tag to NGA two days ago...

would have been hilarious though.

Nigeria has always been NGA. Niger is NIG.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

"I think Neuer is overrated. He's an insane shot stopper and distributes well, but gets too cute at least once a game. He's been punished for it before."

-a text I sent before kickoff.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I feel like this match is just setting up for a late Klose tap in

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Neuer has left his box 18 times now according to ESPN [/stats]

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Should have been Klose on the field to score that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Toplowtech posted:

"Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win."

I think you'll find they played for 120 minutes.

• Locked thread