Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I need some advice please diy painters! I have a camper project that needs paint. It's builders white with welded sections in a completely different white so yeah needs something doing. The problem is that it's massive and I want something cheap to ride me over till I sell it and bud another :/

I have looked at the $50 paint job but that's a lot of sanding on a long wheelbase hightop van. I am thinking 3 coats with no sanding... Is that going to look poo poo? I don't want super shiny but I don't want to look like a gypsy with army green matt. So what's the best solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Do you have a compressor?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

InitialDave posted:

Do you have a compressor?

I can borrow one from a mate. It's a big semi pro one. Nowhere to paint though. It will be an in drive job. Personally I would go matt black but the mrs would kill me and refuse to ride in it!

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

CatBus posted:

Restoring a car is a ton of work. Most people don't understand what 500-1000+ hours is (3 - 6 months of 8 hour days), let alone spending it on very tedious steps- not the fun stuff like disassembly, which takes about one day.

I had friends volunteer to help me get some work done on my TR6 project while I was on vacation for a week a couple years ago. When I returned I found out that this meant they had taken the entire dashboard apart, put all the bits in a plastic tub with nothing labelled, and though they said pictures had been taken along the way, I've never seen any. They scattered like roaches when I used words like "rust removal" and brought out wire brushes and sand paper.

Work on your own projects, or if people want to help, micromanage the gently caress out of them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

thegasman2000 posted:

I need some advice please diy painters! I have a camper project that needs paint. It's builders white with welded sections in a completely different white so yeah needs something doing. The problem is that it's massive and I want something cheap to ride me over till I sell it and bud another :/

I have looked at the $50 paint job but that's a lot of sanding on a long wheelbase hightop van. I am thinking 3 coats with no sanding... Is that going to look poo poo? I don't want super shiny but I don't want to look like a gypsy with army green matt. So what's the best solution?

Painting is fast and easy. Prep is what makes paint look good and takes a lot of time.

So, yes.....3 coats with no sanding or prep will look like poo poo.

Proper prep and 3 coats of single stage would look just fine if you apply it properly.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Speaking of, what are you guys using for power sanding? I can't possibly imagine that you hand sand an entire car like I do for individual panels.

Is an off the shelf cordless random orbital sander enough?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

thegasman2000 posted:

I can borrow one from a mate. It's a big semi pro one. Nowhere to paint though. It will be an in drive job. Personally I would go matt black but the mrs would kill me and refuse to ride in it!
I'd get a cheap gun, some cheap paint, and baby's first big book of painting, and have a crack at it on your drive then. Worst case is it needs sanding back and painting again, which is where you are now anyway.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Speaking of, what are you guys using for power sanding? I can't possibly imagine that you hand sand an entire car like I do for individual panels.

Is an off the shelf cordless random orbital sander enough?

Depends on what kind of sanding, but in general: air tools.

I have a couple sizes of longboard sanders and a D/A. I can't imagine you'd get very far very fast with a random orbital. They are different names for the same thing, but when it's called a D/A it's a clue that it is made for bodywork/metalwork and when it's called a random orbital it's made for woodworking or paint polishing.

I can't imagine using Porter Cable electric for anything more strenuous than cutting/buffing.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Is that comic sans?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Motronic posted:

Painting is fast and easy. Prep is what makes paint look good and takes a lot of time.

So, yes.....3 coats with no sanding or prep will look like poo poo.

Proper prep and 3 coats of single stage would look just fine if you apply it properly.

I just don't want it to stand out as poo poo. So would say sanding it all back and a single stage paint on a driveway work well enough. It's that or a roller paint job. It's not worth the time and money making it look good.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

thegasman2000 posted:

I just don't want it to stand out as poo poo. So would say sanding it all back and a single stage paint on a driveway work well enough. It's that or a roller paint job. It's not worth the time and money making it look good.

If you are looking for "good enough" just make sure you do sufficient surface prep. No jagged edges between layers of paint and bodywork, etc.

Then shoot it with a high build primer to hide all the poo poo you missed. A second coat of high build primer wouldn't be a bad idea. Then shoot it with color.

Roller paint jobs are labor intensive bullshit (you need to sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand) for people who have convinced themselves that they are saving money over using a spray gun and compressor and that count their time as valueless as well as consumables (sandpaper - it gets expensive). Or just people who are afraid of spraying and don't realize you can get a totally acceptable coat down in an open driveway - and an even better one with a cheap rear end pop up car park tent from WalMart.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
About 2 years ago I painted my truck. I used all Summit Racing brand paints. I had bought a used steel cowl hood from a guy when I bought the truck, to replace the damaged factory hood, the guy had been running it in the original black coating, which I cleaned and used a wax remover on. Now, two years later, the paint and primer are cracking and flaking off. I did not sand the hood since it was in the original unpainted finish. Is that where I went wrong?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rubiks Pubes posted:

About 2 years ago I painted my truck. I used all Summit Racing brand paints. I had bought a used steel cowl hood from a guy when I bought the truck, to replace the damaged factory hood, the guy had been running it in the original black coating, which I cleaned and used a wax remover on. Now, two years later, the paint and primer are cracking and flaking off. I did not sand the hood since it was in the original unpainted finish. Is that where I went wrong?

You went wrong somewhere on surface prep or mid-coat. It's hard to say without having seen it before you painted.

But successfully painting a filthy matte finish is gonna take some serious sanding and a good primer.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Motronic posted:

No jagged edges between layers of paint and bodywork, etc.

This and the poster who posted about any single possible imperfection showing up insanely worse once you throw the paint on are completely right. Stuff I felt with my hand and thought was smooth was not and it showed up in the paint and ask me about wasting 20 odd hours trying to get a ghetto acceptable paint job right and still bodging that completely. Looks alright from 15 feet though.

I'll be re-sanding everything down and trying a roll on job next.

If I learned some lessons from trying my first cheapo paint job they would be the following:

1.) Dust is an absolute bitch, get some tarps/plastic/etc. and loving close that poo poo off. Spending all that time cleaning the entire car with mineral spirits and a pile of terry cloths does not loving matter if there's even a little bit of dust floating around.
2.) You will never figure out the right distance to spray with a rattle can and it will never come out evenly or consistently because it's not regulated at all and poo poo and paint will fly out however fast it feels like. Too far? Speckle city. Too close? Blobs everywhere. Just right? poo poo doesn't exist.
3.) You can never sand enough and no that isn't smooth enough sand it some more.
4.) Bondo loving rocks for filling low spots/dents and can be painted super well A+++ would buy again.
5.) Soldering irons are fantastic for repairing bumpers (especially attachment loops) just don't breathe that poo poo in.
6.) Mask glass to protect from sanding, then sand, then once it's all sanded and cleaned, mask everything important for painting.

I somehow realize that all this poo poo is common sense and despite reading this thread and so many guides managed to still forget so much. :smith:

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 14, 2014

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
So I got given some paint... My mate said his compressor was broken so rolled it on. One more coat and it's a good 15ft paint coat.

http://i.imgur.com/NZzmSbz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ED5DDUd.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/aRf8WDP.jpg

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So if you change the color of a car I assume you need to call the DMV so they can change it on your registration?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

revmoo posted:

So if you change the color of a car I assume you need to call the DMV so they can change it on your registration?

Yeah here in the uk we send off the log book (v5) telling them it's new colour and it's returned all done. I am joint to wait a bit as I am also registering it as a camper ASAP, needs a bed and cooker in first, for cheaper insurances :)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

thegasman2000 posted:

So I got given some paint... My mate said his compressor was broken so rolled it on. One more coat and it's a good 15ft paint coat.

http://i.imgur.com/NZzmSbz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ED5DDUd.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/aRf8WDP.jpg

The back will never be anything more than a 100 yard job. All it would have taken is an hour or so to do something with that.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Motronic posted:

The back will never be anything more than a 100 yard job. All it would have taken is an hour or so to do something with that.

If the paint is thick enough could he wet sand 1500 grit and then hit it with something like meguiar's ultimate to get rid of the orange peel?

Basing that on https://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html, I'm also painting a car in white and planning on following this to a tee.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 18, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'd like to re-paint the Midget at some point. I was considering the $50 paint job but it looks like a pain in the cock with so much sanding. I suppose even though it's a small car, it'll still be pretty expensive to have it painted professionally, right?

I just found a huge free air compressor on Craigslist, looks like the owner is moving and can't haul the fucker out of his garage or something. So that could make a proper paint job much easier.

Motronic, I like the Walmart carport thing you mentioned. Is http://www.walmart.com/ip/ShelterLogic-White-Enclosed-Canopy-Kit-with-Windows/20415819 the sort of thing you had in mind? That might fit in my driveway...

Any other recommendations for painting a tiny roadster? Something like 7/10 would be nice... from what I'm reading here, that means either hire a pro or bite the bullet and use proper spray tools?

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
This one looks better: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Caravan-Canopy-Domain-Carport-Garage-Sidewall-Enclosure-Kit/11007578

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Those look handy, but both listings also look like they are just for the sides, not the actual carport. Double check the descriptions.

I think for my truck once the more pressing issues are dealt with I'm going to just redo the thing with duplicolor deep blue. Not in a rattle can of course since I have a nice compressor and decent paint gun already.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Extra posted:

If the paint is thick enough could he wet sand 1500 grit and then hit it with something like meguiar's ultimate to get rid of the orange peel?

Basing that on https://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html, I'm also painting a car in white and planning on following this to a tee.

This page is making me think dangerous thoughts.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'd like to re-paint the Midget at some point. I was considering the $50 paint job but it looks like a pain in the cock with so much sanding. I suppose even though it's a small car, it'll still be pretty expensive to have it painted professionally, right?

Any other recommendations for painting a tiny roadster? Something like 7/10 would be nice... from what I'm reading here, that means either hire a pro or bite the bullet and use proper spray tools?

95% of the finish appears to come from prep and sanding. Either do it yourself or pay someone else, but a decent job needs work.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cakefool posted:

95% of the finish appears to come from prep and sanding. Either do it yourself or pay someone else, but a decent job needs work.

95% of a regular paint job is still prep and sanding.

That paint seems to be standing up well.

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master.htm?http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint-3years.html

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

[url]http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master.htm?http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint-3years.html[/url]

And to go a bit farther: http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint-4years.html

Looks like it still has some shine to it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Powershift posted:

[url]http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master.htm?http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint-3years.html[/url]

Sorry, that's what I meant, 95% of any paint job is prep. And that looks good for 4 years with no special treatment.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Are there any of those canopy storage sheds that are of decent quality and not $300+? That would kinda be blowing out my budget by a good bit.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Anyone have any experience with marine topside paint on a car? They advertise UV protection, durability, and good gloss... I'm thinking that could be a possibility for a roll-on paint job.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Anyone have any experience with marine topside paint on a car? They advertise UV protection, durability, and good gloss... I'm thinking that could be a possibility for a roll-on paint job.

Now that I think about it, we used to use a roller to repaint the topside accent colors on boats (when the gelcoat would fake and chalk)... Do they still make Imron? That stuff was awesome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well since the jackass I showed the Civic to had no cash I guess I will be giving the roll on job a try. I have the paint, what type of primer should I get?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Well since the jackass I showed the Civic to had no cash I guess I will be giving the roll on job a try. I have the paint, what type of primer should I get?

One of the guys on the MG forum had good results with rattlecan primer.

Please take copious pictures, I intend to do a roll-on job pretty soon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pham Nuwen posted:

One of the guys on the MG forum had good results with rattlecan primer.

Please take copious pictures, I intend to do a roll-on job pretty soon.

Sweet, rattlecan primer is cheap! I think all I need for prep is some more tape and some scotch pads to rough up the surface.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So my buddy rattlecanned his Miata, and after several iterations of miserable sanding and painting he's given up on it. The surface of the car is really rough and unpleasant to the touch. It's almost grabby.

Would something like a dual action polisher help knock that down so it feels more like car paint should?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So my buddy rattlecanned his Miata, and after several iterations of miserable sanding and painting he's given up on it. The surface of the car is really rough and unpleasant to the touch. It's almost grabby.

Would something like a dual action polisher help knock that down so it feels more like car paint should?

Depends on how much paint is on there. Rattle cans go on really light.

Wet sand/cut/buff would be the way to make it right but he very well may not have enough material on there to do that without blowing through.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

jhcain posted:

Now that I think about it, we used to use a roller to repaint the topside accent colors on boats (when the gelcoat would fake and chalk)... Do they still make Imron? That stuff was awesome.

I don't know about Imron but I've read that roll-on boat paint (like Interlux Brightside) is a popular product on a lot of the low-cost car paint forums.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Motronic posted:

Depends on how much paint is on there. Rattle cans go on really light.

Wet sand/cut/buff would be the way to make it right but he very well may not have enough material on there to do that without blowing through.

When I did a rattle can job on my motorcycle I went through this. I ended up having to do rattle can for the colour and a two stage clear coat. After that and assloads of wet sanding and polishing everything was gravy.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That's pretty much how it went on my motorcycle. Piles of basically dust coats, color and clear. I did color until fully covered and then as many clear coats as I had time in the day to do. Used acrylic enamel rattle cans (Rustoleum).

Looks like garbage before sanding:

Polishes up pretty well after wet sand 800-1500 grit, buff, and polish.

Sanding, buffing, and polishing took hours though. Just for those two pieces. It's labor intensive.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

clutchpuck posted:

That's pretty much how it went on my motorcycle. Piles of basically dust coats, color and clear. I did color until fully covered and then as many clear coats as I had time in the day to do. Used acrylic enamel rattle cans (Rustoleum).

Looks like garbage before sanding:

Polishes up pretty well after wet sand 800-1500 grit, buff, and polish.

Sanding, buffing, and polishing took hours though. Just for those two pieces. It's labor intensive.

Mine took forever, mostly because I used an acrylic clear and then destroyed it with gas my first run. The two stage SprayMax rattle can clear is awesome and shined up wonderfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I got sick of just endlessly sanding, the hood was pretty much ready to go, so I said gently caress it and started rolling it on:

This picture makes it look better than it is, but the color is starting to show.

• Locked thread